Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A malicious video link that when played in Safari causes iOS devices to crash has been discovered this morning.

Playing the MP4 video in question through Safari appears to have no effect at first, but gradually the operating system slows down before it freezes completely, after which only a hard reset will bring the device back to life. YouTube channel EverythingApplePro has posted a demonstration (i.e. not the original video) showing the exploit in action.

Screen-Shot-2-1-800x385.jpg

The bug appears to affect iOS builds as far back as iOS 5, while iPhones running iOS 10.2 beta 3 are said to power off and show the spinning wheel indefinitely.

If you fall victim to the prank, you'll need to hard reboot to get your device working again. According to a Reddit post by user Riddle, currently the top level domains hosting the video appear to be vk.com and testtrial.site90.net, but bear in mind that the video could be hosted on other sites quite easily and that URL shorteners can mask the actual address you're being linked to.

This kind of prank isn't new. Three years ago, a text exploit made the rounds that caused both Mac and iOS devices to crash.

(Via 9to5Mac.)

Article Link: Malicious Video Link Causes iOS Devices to Freeze, Requiring a Hard Reset

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Too bad this is not a jailbreak worthy exploit but probaly just pumps the device full of useless code so it freezes.

Reactions: alecgold

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
probably because it isn't remote execution at this stage if it only can crash a device
This is the first step though, isn't it? This video causes memory corruption. Cause the right kind of corruption and you have a way into the device.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
I wouldn't call this a "prank" or even "cool." I'm not sure why someone would send this to a "friend."

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
So much for frequent updates as it goes way back to IOS 5 if not 3.

You should credit and link the original source.

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Weird - my iPhone 6 Plus has been very laggy lately. Pretty sure Apple is forcing an upgrade on me
My 6s plus has been laggy since iOS 10 also. I never had lag issues with my 5s, and still don't going from 7-10, and I never reset up that phone as new. I wonder what's going on?

anilchopra

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2016
Bangalore
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.