Man drives Bugatti into lake

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33906595/ns/us_news-weird_news/

LA MARQUE, Texas - A man blamed a low-flying pelican and a dropped cell phone for his veering his million-dollar sports car off a road and into a salt marsh near Galveston.

The accident happened about 3 p.m. Wednesday on the frontage road of Interstate 45 northbound in La Marque, about 35 miles southeast of Houston.
The Lufkin, Texas, man told of driving his luxury, French-built Bugatti Veyron when the bird distracted him, said La Marque police Lt. Greg Gilchrist.
The motorist dropped his cell phone, reached to pick it up and veered off the road and into the salt marsh. The car was half-submerged in the brine about 20 feet from the road when police arrived.
Poor car. RIP Bugatti :mad:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
That totally sux. I am sure he has insurance, and I am sure his rate is going up.

Watch out for a flooded Bugatti on the market folks. :p

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
In the photo the spoiler is up, according to wikipedia the wing doesn't deploy until 220kph, or 136mph!
I think there's something he's not telling the police there.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
When I saw the thread title I thought "please don't be a Veyron, please don't be a Veyron." Some people have more money than brains.

I think Jeremy Clarkson just threw up a little in his mouth :(

g4forever

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
In the photo the spoiler is up, according to wikipedia the wing doesn't deploy until 220kph, or 136mph!

I saw this guy on I-45 at Bay Area Blvd. shortly before he took his car for a swim. The spoiler was up and he was driving about 70 mph.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I can't remember the name of that show on BBC America but when he drove the car he manually deployed the wing.

btw for a million I would be able to lift that car out of the water.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I sobbed for an hour straight after seeing that picture. :(

I can't remember the name of that show on BBC America but when he drove the car he manually deployed the wing.

btw for a million I would be able to lift that car out of the water.
Top Gear, and yes, I am fairly certain you can manually deploy it.

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I sobbed for an hour straight after seeing that picture. :(

Top Gear, and yes, I am fairly certain you can manually deploy it.
Yeah, IIRC, you stick the key in a switch in the door jam and that puts the car in "Holy s***! Mode"

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
All I know is that I'm a hell of a lot more careful with my Bugatti.

Bugatti is a kind of bread, right?

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal
When I saw the thread title I thought "please don't be a Veyron, please don't be a Veyron." Some people have more money than brains.

I think Jeremy Clarkson just threw up a little in his mouth :(
You rather it be an older, more rare and expensive like an EB110?

The guy only purchased the car last week IIRC, and he wasn't driving recklessly, he just dropped his cell phone.

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You rather it be an older, more rare and expensive like an EB110?

The guy only purchased the car last week IIRC, and he wasn't driving recklessly, he just dropped his cell phone.
If I'm driving my week old, million dollar exotic supercar, I wouldn't be talking on my cell phone, and if I was, and I dropped it, I wouldn't try to pick it up while driving. The guy is an idiot, plain and simple.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
:rolleyes:

He wasn't exactly driving brilliantly if dropping his phone caused him to trash it into a lake. Good job that no one was walking down the road or another car was involved because clearly this guy has more money than driving skills.