Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
What a dark & horrible post!

I am annoyed by idiots as much as the next guy, but I'd draw the line at making a point of pointing out in a public forum, my low opinion of the intelligence of a recently departed stranger.
He probably had loved ones... maybe he didn't even delight in & call attention to the misery, pain, or death of others.

@Matthew.H might feel really clever for posting this; but I find it despicable.

My prayers are with that man's family.
I can see your point and my prayers are with his family as well. I didn't post this thread for the purpose of people calling the deceased stupid. However I'm hardly the first to post the story. Maybe your disdain should be aimed at the news websites that decide to post the article in the first place.

Also I originally posted this in the other news section as I felt it was appropriate given the nature of the article. The forum staff moved the thread to the iphone section.

Reactions: bhayes444

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
The coroner is going to send Apple a warning that their phones are potentially lethal. What, did no one tell people at school that water and electricity don't mix? I'm sure Apple and every other sane individual knows the two don't mix, what a preposterous line by the coroner, but write away good man.

Rest in peace to the poor bloke who passed away, such a tragically avoidable death.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Right, however, there are people who are gonna go what they are gonna do. At least make it as safe as one can and don't light a fire next to an open gas can, so to speak.

I get it. Play Russian roulette with a .22 instead of a .45. Sometimes there is no better answer than don't.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I get it. Play Russian roulette with a .22 instead of a .45. Sometimes there is no better answer than don't.
Well in this instance imo, a 5v battery is not the equivalent to a .22, but to each their own. Obviously people are gonna do what they are gonna do, but at least lower your chance of injury.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Well in this instance imo, a 5v battery is not the equivalent to a .22, but to each their own. Obviously people are gonna do what they are gonna do, but at least lower your chance of injury.

The voltage is really not relevant. If it's conducted through the heart, 500mA can cause death. Fact, not opinion.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The voltage is really not relevant. If it's conducted through the heart, 500mA can cause death. Fact, not opinion.
But that doesn't mean a 5v battery will kill you, practically not theoretically. And as stated people are gonna do what they will at least be at less risk if you're gonna play with fire.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

But that doesn't mean a 5v battery will kill you, practically not theoretically. And as stated people are gonna do what they will at least be at less risk if you're gonna play with fire.

OMG, will this thread never end? Watching people who have no clue or just a little knowledge about electricity talk about is makes me want to smack my forehead and hope I go unconscious.

Voltage doesn't matter???? (slap). Nope. I'm not unconscious. All this nonsense about a 3.7V iPhone or 5V iPhone "battery" that charges an iPhone killing someone when it's just running on battery needs to immediately stop. It won't and CANNOT happen.

Time for a little lesson in basic electricity, I guess. Ohm's Law for DC: Voltage = Current x Resistance.

Dry person skin = about 300k Ohms (300,000 ohms). Wet or broken skin is about 1000 ohms. Internal body resistance = about 300 ohms. Really high voltage can lower even dry skin to 500 ohms in short order.

To fibrillate or possibly stop a heart (not fry), you need ~500mA of instantaneous current across it (other types of shock that do not go through the heart can be much higher and fibrillation can start MUCH lower (more on that in a moment). But to get that current, you need VOLTAGE. Hence Voltage sure as HELL DOES matter! If you don't have enough voltage, the current can never reach 500mA.

So forget wet skin for now. Let's go straight to internal body resistance since it's even lower (300 Ohms).

What is the absolute minimum possible voltage is required from a battery to stop a human heart instantly?

V = 500mA x 300Ohms = (0.5 x 300) = 150V

V = 150V

However, the problem here is that 500mA is the instantaneous time and the value changes over time. The real number is considerably lower, particularly for longer term contact and is more like 30-60mA after TWO SECONDS time (which is why a GFCI is a life saving device because it cuts it off much sooner than that!). This is across the heart (the human body can take larger doses of electricity if it doesn't cross the heart, but this is a bath tub scenario so I'll assume the absolute worst theoretical number).

Thus,

V = 30mA x 300Ohms = (0.03 x 300) = 9V

Again, that's internal resistance which would basically mean electrodes would have to be inserted sub-dermal. It's not a real number for a bath tub scenario.

A more realistic number for wet or broken skin is 500 to 1500 Ohms which gives:

V = 30mA x 500Ohms = (0.03 x 500 or 1000) = 15V to 45V

Dry skin is more typically in the 100,000 to 300,000 Ohms or anywhere from 30V - 3000V, although that would quickly drop to 500 Ohms with high voltages as the skin is burned and AC frequency matters as well for AC current. Something as simple as sweaty hands could reduce the numbers drastically as well. OSHA standards for wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) is generally at the Greater Than (>) 40V mark and the types of PPE equipment increases with higher active voltages.

I've seen no literature suggest at any time is the human body <300Ohms total current path short of inserting electrodes directly into the chest near the heart.

That does NOT mean a circuit powered by say a 9V battery couldn't shock you as there are other electronic devices like capacitors that can build up charges over time (hence how a relatively small battery can power a heart defibrillator (builds charge and then they yell "CLEAR!" in TV shows and movies). I don't imagine any large capacitors being in an iPhone, however.

So could a 3.7V iPhone (not plugged into anything) stop your heart if you dropped it into the bath tub water with you? I don't believe so. There is no way it could produce 30mA across your heart, let alone 500mA. The voltage is far too low to produce those current levels. What about a 5V battery cell device that charges an iPhone? The voltage is still too low. But the package says it can produce 1Amp (or iPad even 2Amps)! Yes, but that's not into your body at 500Ohms resistance! It's into the various circuits in the phone that are much lower.

The bottom line is we're not talking about a .22 versus a .45. We're talking about a NERF GUN versus a .45.

How often have you heard of people being shocked by a car battery (12V) ? I don't mean a circuit hooked up to a 12V battery. If you're sopping wet and some wires were attached and pushed against your skin near your heart, maybe, just MAYBE it could "possibly" cause heart fibrillation (bloody damn unlikely IMO), but generally you don't hear about people dying from handling a car battery unless they ignite acid fumes (explosion not electrocution) or get hit by acid spraying out of the battery (overheat). But a 3.7V iPhone or a 5V battery that charges an iPhone? They're too low a voltage to electrocute a human or stop a heart even soaking wet.

So all I can say again is that Voltage sure as hell does matter.

What about iPhones catching fire in a pocket? That's not electrocution. That's the battery overheating and/or exploding (same as a car battery can be dangerous if it explodes).

Now I'm not saying you "should" take a bath with your (not connected to anything) iPhone (it's going to be more dangerous for the phone than you), but this thread is quickly headed into Sci-Fi/Fantasy realms.

The guy in the UK had an extension cord pushing 230V.

I=V/R = 230/500Ohms = 460mA

If his heart didn't stop immediately (percentile chance it did; 500ma is NOT an exact number), it sure as hell went into fibrillation big time within two seconds. Not being able to get out of the tub fast enough while being shocked and with no ground fault interrupter to stop the shock, it's not hard to see why he died. Even if it had been in the US with 120V, he'd still be in fibrillation within two seconds.

But as you drop below 9V (i.e. 30mA), there's virtually no chance of any type of permanent damage (nice chart from a Wikipedia page illustrates below: AC4 is fibrillation/shock with 4.1 being 5% chance, 4.2 5-50% chance, 4.3 being over 50% chance, AC3 is muscle contraction, AC2 is sensation; AC1 is imperceptible.
IEC_TS_60479-1_electric_shock_graph.svg.png

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
OMG, will this thread never end? Watching people who have no clue or just a little knowledge about electricity talk about is makes me want to smack my forehead and hope I go unconscious.

Voltage doesn't matter???? (slap). Nope. I'm not unconscious. All this nonsense about a 3.7V iPhone or 5V iPhone "battery" that charges an iPhone killing someone when it's just running on battery needs to immediately stop. It won't and CANNOT happen.

Time for a little lesson in basic electricity, I guess. Ohm's Law for DC: Voltage = Current x Resistance.

Dry person skin = about 300k Ohms (300,000 ohms). Wet or broken skin is about 1000 ohms. Internal body resistance = about 300 ohms. Really high voltage can lower even dry skin to 500 ohms in short order.

To fibrillate or possibly stop a heart (not fry), you need ~500mA of instantaneous current across it (other types of shock that do not go through the heart can be much higher and fibrillation can start MUCH lower (more on that in a moment). But to get that current, you need VOLTAGE. Hence Voltage sure as HELL DOES matter! If you don't have enough voltage, the current can never reach 500mA.

So forget wet skin for now. Let's go straight to internal body resistance since it's even lower (300 Ohms).

What is the absolute minimum possible voltage is required from a battery to stop a human heart instantly?

V = 150V

However, the problem here is that 500mA is the instantaneous time and the value changes over time. The real number is considerably lower, particularly for longer term contact and is more like 30-60mA after TWO SECONDS time (which is why a GFCI is a life saving device because it cuts it off much sooner than that!). This is across the heart (the human body can take larger doses of electricity if it doesn't cross the heart, but this is a bath tub scenario so I'll assume the absolute worst theoretical number).

Thus,

Again, that's internal resistance which would basically mean electrodes would have to be inserted sub-dermal. It's not a real number for a bath tub scenario.

Dry skin is more typically in the 100,000 to 300,000 Ohms or anywhere from 30V - 3000V, although that would quickly drop to 500 Ohms with high voltages as the skin is burned and AC frequency matters as well for AC current. Something as simple as sweaty hands could reduce the numbers drastically as well. OSHA standards for wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) is generally at the Greater Than (>) 40V mark and the types of PPE equipment increases with higher active voltages.

I've seen no literature suggest at any time is the human body <300Ohms total current path short of inserting electrodes directly into the chest near the heart.

That does NOT mean a circuit powered by say a 9V battery couldn't shock you as there are other electronic devices like capacitors that can build up charges over time (hence how a relatively small battery can power a heart defibrillator (builds charge and then they yell "CLEAR!" in TV shows and movies). I don't imagine any large capacitors being in an iPhone, however.

So could a 3.7V iPhone (not plugged into anything) stop your heart if you dropped it into the bath tub water with you? I don't believe so. There is no way it could produce 30mA across your heart, let alone 500mA. The voltage is far too low to produce those current levels. What about a 5V battery cell device that charges an iPhone? The voltage is still too low. But the package says it can produce 1Amp (or iPad even 2Amps)! Yes, but that's not into your body at 500Ohms resistance! It's into the various circuits in the phone that are much lower.

The bottom line is we're not talking about a .22 versus a .45. We're talking about a NERF GUN versus a .45.

How often have you heard of people being shocked by a car battery (12V) ? I don't mean a circuit hooked up to a 12V battery. If you're sopping wet and some wires were attached and pushed against your skin near your heart, maybe, just MAYBE it could "possibly" cause heart fibrillation (bloody damn unlikely IMO), but generally you don't hear about people dying from handling a car battery unless they ignite acid fumes (explosion not electrocution) or get hit by acid spraying out of the battery (overheat). But a 3.7V iPhone or a 5V battery that charges an iPhone? They're too low a voltage to electrocute a human or stop a heart even soaking wet.

What about iPhones catching fire in a pocket? That's not electrocution. That's the battery overheating and/or exploding (same as a car battery can be dangerous if it explodes).

Now I'm not saying you "should" take a bath with your (not connected to anything) iPhone (it's going to be more dangerous for the phone than you), but this thread is quickly headed into Sci-Fi/Fantasy realms.

If his heart didn't stop immediately (percentile chance it did; 500ma is NOT an exact number), it sure as hell went into fibrillation big time within two seconds. Not being able to get out of the tub fast enough while being shocked and with no ground fault interrupter to stop the shock, it's not hard to see why he died. Even if it had been in the US with 120V, he'd still be in fibrillation within two seconds.

But as you drop below 9V (i.e. 30mA), there's virtually no chance of any type of permanent damage (nice chart from a Wikipedia page illustrates below: AC4 is fibrillation/shock with 4.1 being 5% chance, 4.2 5-50% chance, 4.3 being over 50% chance, AC3 is muscle contraction, AC2 is sensation; AC1 is imperceptible.
View attachment 693798
Damn, this was probably the most detailed and informative posts I have seen here in a good long while. I actually walked away from this learning something useful (as opposed to random trivia knowledge). Thanks!

Reactions: I7guy

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro

V = 150V

Thus,

View attachment 693798

Lol! I appreciate the in depth analysis, but you miss the larger point. No one is going to break out the white board before getting in the bath. You can't possibly know all the conditions from the salinity of the water to the internal voltage of the power bank. The answer is simple. For all practical purposes of the discussion, voltage really doesn't matter much if you can't know the other factors. To avoid risk analysis at bath time, simply don't bring open electric conductors near the bath! That is all.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lol! I appreciate the in depth analysis, but you miss the larger point. No one is going to break out the white board before getting in the bath. You can't possibly know all the conditions from the salinity of the water to the internal voltage of the power bank. The answer is simple. For all practical purposes of the discussion, voltage really doesn't matter much if you can't know the other factors. To avoid risk analysis at bath time, simply don't bring open electric conductors near the bath! That is all.
i think the larger point is minimize your risk, if you are going to engage in some harmful behavior. Nobody is going to break out the white board but people will do what people do anyway.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I always take an ipad in the bath, and often on the charger. Twice I've dropped the old apple keyboard USB extension cable connection in the water, once on purpose, and it won't trip the gfic.

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I always take an ipad in the bath, and often on the charger. Twice I've dropped the old apple keyboard USB extension cable connection in the water, once on purpose, and it won't trip the gfic.
You have to drop the extension cord with 110 V in the water. The 5V in in keyboard, phone, laptop won't trip it.

Oh and by the way, don't be in the water when you try this or we will be putting you up for Darwin Award.:D

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

No, I think YOU missed the point. A 5V battery isn't going to kill you PERIOD.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
The variables don't matter and the voltage does. Are you scared to touch the contacts of a standard 9-volt battery? Have you ever tested the "goodness" of a 9-volt the fun way? Here are the steps: 1) Hold 9v battery in hand 2) Stick out tongue 3) Apply battery terminals to tongue 4) Decide of battery has enough charge

Would you freak out about a 9v falling into the tub with you?

Reactions: Givmeabrek

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I really don't know how to describe the foolishness of this guy in words. May he rest in peace.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...G?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout#image=BByipVA|2

Well my thoughts sincerely go out to his wife and his family and I don't wish ill upon anyone, but this just screams Darwinism.

It's an electrical device.

Beside water.

I mean..... c'mon...

:(

That is as bad as swimming across the River Nile with crocodiles basking in the sun on the other side.

Licking their lips as you start to swim their way...

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
You have to drop the extension cord with 110 V in the water. The 5V in in keyboard, phone, laptop won't trip it.

Oh and by the way, don't be in the water when you try this or we will be putting you up for Darwin Award.:D

Unless you use a safety device, like these guys:

darwinawards.jpg

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Sorry if this has been posted. I read it and was in complete shock.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/apple-iphones-warning-electrocuted-bath-charging-richard-bull-ealing-west-london-coroner-sean-a7639961.html?amp

You seriously expect manufactures more specifically Apple to say don't charge your iPhone in the bath? How is this more dangerous than a hairdryer? Surly any device plugged into the mains touching water is dangerous? I use my iPhone in the bath all the time but never plugged in.

God damnit where has common sense gone! I almost feel no remorse for the person who do this call me cold hearted but how stupid!
[doublepost=1490091459][/doublepost]Okay I take it back. It's sad we lost another human soul, it is sad. We do need to educate people if this became a regular occurrence we could have a big issue at hand. I hope schools are teaching our young ones in Science.
It's easy to hear stories like this and say they deserved it for their idiocy etc. But lets not forget that it was an idiotic move by the individual. His wife, family and friends didn't make that decision and they are now the ones who have to live with this every day for the rest of their lives. So if you don't feel remorse for his lost life, feel remorse for the people who will miss him. It wasn't their mistake.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Unless you use a safety device, like these guys:

darwinawards.jpg
Holy feces......what's the safety device, booze in hand to minimize pain of shock?

That one flip flop looks like it's about to overturn. This has to be a joke.....I mean come on how can these clowns still be alive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.