Man the PowerMacs are huge.

HELLFISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
I was expecting the PowerMacs to be about the same size as the MDD PowerMacs. I finally saw one in person today (hey, I live in a very rural area of Idaho, so be nice) The size of that machine totally blew me away. The thing is a monstrosity. The design is nice, but my goodness is it LARGE! Almost bought the iMac, but I already have an Apple display and just can't bring myself to buy a machine with such limited expansion.

What's the point of this thread? Nothing, really. Just an observation.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
But it's beautiful. The aluminum runs around the whole computer seamlessly. Awesome design and workmanship. Too bad for it's size, you cant put in more than 2 SATA drives, without need for third-party hacks.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they are huge and weigh a lot too! but they have a beautiful industrial design, even with the grated front and back

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
They are big, they are beautiful, and by God they are powerful. I think that I could make room for one on my desk...:rolleyes:

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
I'm sure if apple could have made them smaller, they probibly would have... apple doesnt tend to leave unused space in their machines (except for like drive bays, as obviously thats there for expansion)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Dude. This post is completely off topic.

But holy ****. andrebsd. The public VNC account at your site. That is one of the most cool thing I've ever seen.

:eek:

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Raven VII said:

But holy ****. andrebsd. The public VNC account at your site. That is one of the most cool thing I've ever seen.

Yep! I'm running OS X on Windows!! :D

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Raven VII said:

lol.. yeah, its my newest "website toy" (for lack of a better term)... im currently trying to hook up an RC car with a webcam, and get it controlled over the internet.. but sofar; its not doing much.

As for OSX on Windows, above post, thats always fun... I got pear on my windows box here :)

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I don't think its that anyone NEEDS more than 800gb of hd space, they just WANT it lol. Besides, if you are doing a lot with video, gigabytes just disappear.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
I hope my mom will be able to pick up my new PM and put it in her car to bring home.

I cant wait its coming this friday.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Beautiful, but nearly twice the size of an MDD G4 and half the expansion possibilities.

I have a Combo drive and a Superdrive, three hard drives, a vid card and three full PCI slots.

Seems all the space is taken up with fans.

I'm getting one, and I think they are a work of art, but yes, no expansion room. Pity.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
HELLFISH said:
I was expecting the PowerMacs to be about the same size as the MDD PowerMacs. I finally saw one in person today (hey, I live in a very rural area of Idaho, so be nice) The size of that machine totally blew me away. The thing is a monstrosity. The design is nice, but my goodness is it LARGE! Almost bought the iMac, but I already have an Apple display and just can't bring myself to buy a machine with such limited expansion.

What's the point of this thread? Nothing, really. Just an observation.
Welcome to 2003.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
They are huge. This is why we still need the "real" headless iMac. The single processor PM isn't it, the Mac mini isn't it. We need a mini tower--or even a tower like the MDD PM--with a few drive bays and swapable video card. A baby Power Mac.

Steve got it wrong when he said we've always asked for an affordable headless Mac. We want an affordable & upgradeable headless Mac.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
PlaceofDis said:
they are huge and weigh a lot too! but they have a beautiful industrial design, even with the grated front and back
And because of these - combined with the fans and compartments - the computer stays cool and nearly dust free on the inside. At first I didn't like the way it looked when I saw it on television. It definitely grows on you, well not literally :D

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Sexiest Mac ever in my opinion.

Industrial looks and styling, solid build, smooth looks. it's a proper power house and it means business!

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
yes

joecool85 said:
I don't think its that anyone NEEDS more than 800gb of hd space, they just WANT it lol. Besides, if you are doing a lot with video, gigabytes just disappear.
amen to that, i did like two hours of vid on my powerbook the other day and went from 30 gig free down to like .8 in a matter of two hours. and yes, osx does slow down significantly with that little free space. god was it nice to get that dvd burnt and clear out the space again!

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
I've seen the PowerMacs of course, but never thought about how big they are. Since I'm unlikely to see one for several days, does anyone have the dimensions? My Dell is 16" high x 7" wide x 17" deep. How does it compare?