iPad Man those new iPhone 6 screens make the iPad look like complete garbage...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wiesenlooser, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one? When comparing the iPad Air screen to my iPhone 6 it just seems so dim and doll and really reflective.

I hope they really take it up a notch with the new iPad screens and finally laminate the screen to the glass...

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

My iPad Mini 1st gen does look dull compared to my 6+. But that's because my 6+ has Retina HD. I'm sure the screens on this years iPads will look amazing!

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

retina hd lol. what a nice term that means nothing. I do love my 6 plus though :D

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Every time I see a headline like that, I think: Man, what have you done in your life? Every produced anything yourself that you could be proud of?

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I really don't think the iPad will get a higher resolution screen. I think it would crush the A8's GPU.

I hope both iPads get better screens, but I wouldn't bet on it. The Apple iPhone is the flagship iOS device. The iPad is not. The iPad is most likely going to be behind the iPhone for a long time.

6. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

There can be done alot of things besides resolution. Screen laminating, higher contrast, higher britness, etc.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I think it's the glass that's the biggest difference. AnandTech also seemed to indicate that the color accuracy has improved. My iPhone 6 blows away my iPad mini with Retina Display, though we all know that the latter has a surprisingly narrow gamut for an Apple display.

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

They could, but I wouldn't bet on the screens being as good as the iPhone.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Sound a tad exaggerated to me. And, no matter what, the phone screen is still PUNY and almost useless for anything other than super simple tasks.

My iPad can beat up your iphone. :p

10. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

This Retina HD moniker is so strange, since iPads already have fair higher resolution than the iPhones. They could keep iPad resolution the same and call it Retina HD Plus or similar as is.

Consolidating the panel and front glass should help considerably with viewing angles and appearance. I have faith, after the great panel in the iPhone 6 Plus I have here, that the iPad will step up in overall quality as well -- and its no slouch today.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm not seeing it. I think my iPhone 6 is a bit of an improvement over my 5s screen, but the Air still looks fantastic in comparison. Yes, I would like them to laminate the screen and reduce the glare, but overall, this screen still looks very good.

12. MacTCE macrumors 6502

The Retina HD moniker is based on PPI and not screen resolution.
    iPad Air PPI: 264
    iPhone 6 PPI: 326
    iPhone 6+ PPI: 401

13. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Nope. The iPhone 6 (non-Plus) has the same PPI as the iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5S.

14. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

My iPad Air screen looks as good as my 6+ screen, both are spectacular.

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Garbage is a bit of an over dramatization. Remember what screens were like 5 years ago? We've come a long way.

Anyway, I do admit that my iPhone 6 is more vibrant than my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3, though it's still good.

----------

My fear with this is a new resolution that would result in scaling like the 6 Plus. That, on such a high level, will come with some serious lag. I'm SICK of iOS lag.

16. cababah macrumors 68000

It's close and they do both look great but side by side, the 6+ has more accurate colors, higher contrast ratio, and way better viewing angles. I've spent quite a bit of time comparing the displays on the two.

Bottom line-they both make my pee-tinted iphone 5 display look like garbage.

17. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

OK, if that's important to you go for it. I'm not spending time holding both side by side to determine if one is slightly superior to the other. My iPad Air screen has never disappointed me in any viewing situation, it's a joy to use and that's all that matters to me.

18. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I give a slight edge to the plus especially in the detail of the photo mainly because the screen is smaller. But when taking photos on the plus and viewing them side by side with the air it's pretty close.

19. R3k, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

R3k macrumors 6502a

20. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Yeah I noticed that especially since I have a Retina Mini. I mean, the screen is crisp and clear, but it definitely falls short on color gamut like everybody said. Since using my iPhone 6, the colors are night and day. Much larger difference than between like the iPhone/iPod 5 and the Retina Mini in my honest opinion.

21. profets macrumors 68040

As dumb as it is, I think they added the 'HD' as the iPhones 6 have displays close to HDTV resolutions - 1334x750 (720p) and 1920x1080 (1080p). They're still "retina" displays like all the previous ones, but I think they wanted to add something new to the marketing name for them.

And regarding the comparison to iPads, they definitely look nicer - not the PPI necessarily, but the contrast, colour and definitely screen lamination. On the iPhone 6 it's incredible how the actual screen/content seems so close to the surface. iPads definitely could use at least the display being laminated to the glass. iPhones have had it for 4 years I think, I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

22. Ryand123 macrumors member

Not a fair fight comparing a 2014 device with last year's device. We'll see if the new iPad screens are better. But while the colors and sharpness are a bit better on the 6+, if I had to pick one screen I'd still pick the iPad Air.

Size matters.

23. deviant macrumors 65816

I'd hand you my iPad 1 so that you could see what "garbage" means. iPad air is still amazing. Even 4S screen looks good enough for its tiny size. What are you smoking man.

24. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

An A8X on the other hand.....

25. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If it has twice the GPU cores, maybe...