Man Upset With Penile Surgery Mails Bomb


Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
620
0
Orlando, FL
Daveway said:
How can you be unhappy with a penis enlargement? :p
Well, that depends on if it keeps working afterwards. I recall reading at least one story about a guy that went under the knife for enlargement and came out dysfunctional. I'd think that if your in the position where someone might care about the size of your penis, that you wouldn't risk breaking it :p
 

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1,527
68
vniow said:
That's a bit insulting.
How is that in the least bit insulting? It's a good way to be.
Is it more insulting than say... mailing a bomb to someone?
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
vniow said:
Because people have had that same argument against trans people, which I find highly offensive.
I think more people have the same argument for cosmetic surgery done for purely ego boosting reasons... than for that type of surgery.

My nose is too big, my breasts are too big/small, my penis is too small, I'm losing my hair, etc.
 

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1,527
68
vniow said:
Because people have had that same argument against trans people, which I find highly offensive.
To me, the argument falls apart with transsexuals. It's a difference between vanity and honesty.
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,969
3
Sun Baked said:
My nose is too big, my breasts are too big/small, my penis is too small, I'm losing my hair, etc.
What refreshing honesty. It forms quite a picture in my mind.
 

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
6,149
341
The Cool Part of CA, USA
LeeTom said:
To me, the argument falls apart with transsexuals. It's a difference between vanity and honesty.
Exactly. Folks who spend thousands on hollow vanity--bigger breasts, longer penises--is entirely different from people fixing a significant physical "problem", such as being born with the wrong set of genitals or having abnormal physical characteristics.

One might argue that any defining line isn't fair, but I see a definite difference between, say, a classmate of mine who had breast reduction surgery because her chest was causing back problems (that would progressively worsen as she got older), and someone who finds their C-cup such a tragic defficiency in the eyes of the unrealistic media-fueled image of "beauty" that they feel possessed to stuff big bags of salt in there.

Likewise, a nose job isn't the same as reconstructive surgery after severe burns and penis enlargement isn't the same as having one added when you were born without.
 

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,138
0
BXL
-snip-
an explosive device that included a model-rocket engine igniter inside a jewelry box
-snip-
The federal grand jury indictment charged Steidler with using a weapon of mass destruction
-snip-
A self made dirty bomb?
 

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
1,779
9
UK
:eek: Harsh! Seems like he was just unhappy with everything.

Mainly this post is to;
A) Increase my post count by one.
B) Serve as a place-holder so when I think of a witty comment for the story I can edit it in. So far...nothing.

AppleMatt
edit: Why are we arguing this soon into a thread? Isn't Macrumors etiquette to bash the newbie on the first page and the regular on the second? Times change...
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Makosuke said:
Exactly. Folks who spend thousands on hollow vanity--bigger breasts, longer penises--is entirely different from people fixing a significant physical "problem", such as being born with the wrong set of genitals or having abnormal physical characteristics.

One might argue that any defining line isn't fair, but I see a definite difference between, say, a classmate of mine who had breast reduction surgery because her chest was causing back problems (that would progressively worsen as she got older), and someone who finds their C-cup such a tragic defficiency in the eyes of the unrealistic media-fueled image of "beauty" that they feel possessed to stuff big bags of salt in there.

Likewise, a nose job isn't the same as reconstructive surgery after severe burns and penis enlargement isn't the same as having one added when you were born without.
If we had those big-thumbs-up-smiley thingies here on MR, I'd give you one of those for your post, sadly as we don't... I have to say I'm in total agreement with you. ;) :)

Common sense... an all too rare thing in our world. :(
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
yeah, there's a big difference between elective and medical reasons for cosmetic surgery. Personally, despite the fact that inhibiting personal liberties goes against my core, I wouldn't be upset if they banned breast enlargement for all but medical cases... penile surgery isn't nearly as bad yet, because men don't suffer quite the level of societal pressure on the issue, but it will probably get worse as time goes on... viagra and cialis were the first step: get it hard. Now it's time to make it bigger. Now I know I have no business telling people what to do with their bodies, but seriously, don't do it just because you think it will make people like you more.

Tho I suppose the same argument could be used as to why I do ab crunches every day... but again, i think that's a far cry from elective cosmetic surgery.

if i ever get enough money to get ass implants, I'm coming and deleting this post :p
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
rainman::|:| said:
yeah, there's a big difference between elective and medical reasons for cosmetic surgery.
There are grey areas, though.

I was severely assaulted when I was 17 and my nose was badly broken -- I've always wanted to have it fixed back to the way it was and one day, I will.

Some would argue that this is for vanity reasons. The functioning of my nose wasn't impaired but still, even though nobody else seems to notice it, I see it every day when I look in the mirror.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
I'm not sure why this person went to have the surgery. There are legitimate medical reasons to have a penile implant. The ones that I have taken care of were older men with diabetes. This mechanical mechanism was the only way they could have an erection. Problems can happen in any surgery. That is why a doctor should explain all of the risks prior to signing the consent.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
I will never let any man touch my private parts. So therefore, I will never have any of the problems this guy had.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Interesting twist, talking about noses... when there is an exploding penis story to grab hold of.
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
wdlove said:
I'm not sure why this person went to have the surgery.
OK, you can feign naivety in a lot of cases, but surely you jest. he wanted a bigger dick. surely such an obvious motive cannot be lost even on one such as you?

Blue Velvet... I wouldn't consider that grey really, 'reconstruction' is a medical cause to me. But i've had my nose broken a couple of times, and it's left it with a nice huge knot in the bridge (i can *almost* wear sunglasses ok), so I can relate to this one in particular.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
rainman::|:| said:
OK, you can feign naivety in a lot of cases, but surely you jest. he wanted a bigger dick. surely such an obvious motive cannot be lost even on one such as you?

Blue Velvet... I wouldn't consider that grey really, 'reconstruction' is a medical cause to me. But i've had my nose broken a couple of times, and it's left it with a nice huge knot in the bridge (i can *almost* wear sunglasses ok), so I can relate to this one in particular.
I realized the reason that you gave. My thought was as to rather he actually had a definite medical need. He could have tried medications. I'm with Lacero, would prefer that a knife not touch my body anywhere. Many times it can just make things worse.

Is that one of the reasons that you are hesitant Blue Velvet?
 

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
345
0
Bezerkeley
time to pack some mace

AppleMatt said:
edit: Why are we arguing this soon into a thread? Isn't Macrumors etiquette to bash the newbie on the first page and the regular on the second? Times change...
newbie bashing? :eek:
First time I've heard of this... now I'm paranoid.