Mangos are evil

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mariahrg, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

i usually eat grapefruit for breakfast and thought i should change it up a little. last week i bought a few mangos, one a day for breakfast. tues night i cut one up and refrigerate it for the next morning. well that morning i found a rash around my left eye (before eating the mango). didnt think much about it. the following day it was on both eyes. sunday half my face and my neck is covered in this rash, my eyes are swollen, im itchy, and i cannot figure out what the heck is happening to me. this morning im still itchy and its not getting better. as im sitting here doing paperwork, im eating a mango. thats when it hit me. i googled mango allergy. come to find out the skins have the same damn oil as poison oak and poison ivy!!! so from now on i will be wearing latex gloves to cut them up.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. ethical macrumors 68000

I once went to the shop to buy oranges, but picked up grapefruits instead.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Mangos aren't evil, the oil/greenish juice in them is.

5. theARNSKI macrumors regular

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

How does that avoid pollution of the "meat" inside?

9. mariahrg thread starter macrumors member

mariahrg

I was wondering the same thing myself...you would think the knife would get it all over the meat. I didn't have a reaction in my mouth or throat so I would say that it must not pollute the meat. It says online to just have someone else cut the mango or use gloves and you should be ok. I've had mango prepared by someone else or by a grocery store and never had a problem. It's only when I handle the whole fruit. I noticed too that my left side of my face and neck is where most of the rash is, well I use my left hand to hold the fruit to cut it or bag it at the store. I guess after handling the fruit I touched my face and neck. To me it makes sense. I am gonna wait for the rash to clear up before I eat another one, and when I do I will make sure to not touch the skin. I want to be 100% sure the meat isn't bothering me too, which I don't think it is. I hope. I love mango.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Mango skins? How bizarre! I'd never heard of that before.

You could try picking them up at the grocery store by turning the bag inside out over your hand and grabbing the mango with it and then pulling the bag right side out without ever touching the mango itself. (if you see what I mean.) Hell, use two bags. And of course wash your hands.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Are you a masochist? :eek:

12. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, cause nothing beats buying your fruit like you pick up your dog's poo. :D

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Precisely where I thought of and learned the technique! :D Hey, whatever keeps the unwanted [whatever] off your hands.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

16. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Google "bobby loves mangoes" movie... it's a short movie (20 minutes) that won a lot of awards a few years back.

17. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I thought you were talking about my mom's dog.

18. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I'm highly alergic to them. My face, hands and tongue swell. I get a rash. I have to get some kind of shot to reduce the allergic reaction. This happened to me just once, but that is all it takes to ensure you avoid mangos like, well mangos.

19. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Very interesting movie. Strange resolution but enjoyable to watch, and nice plot twist.

20. ethical macrumors 68000

Is your mum's dog called Turtle?

21. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

"Mango" lol.

22. ethical macrumors 68000

;)

I can't remember the last time I ate a mango actually. Might give it a shot sometime soon.

23. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

Mangos can be a balanced part of a complete breakfast.
    Now that I gotten that out of the way, in your case I wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole!

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yep, when I lived in Cuba about half the folks on the base were highly allergic to them. I'm one of those unlucky folks. The base pharmacy did all they could to keep that prescription cream in stock - I've never experienced a worse rash in my life.

I was able to figure out that the sap from the stem, leaves, and skin was the culprit in my case - the flesh of the fruit was fine. Try to pick out fruit with no leaves or stem, wash them thoroughly before cutting them up, and peel them before you eat them, and you might be just fine.

Or just buy 'em in a can or jar. :D

25. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356