Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
There was no burglary.

Apple staged the whole thing. They needed an excuse for no product updates.

Next month they'll have the press release stating that due to all schematics, designs, and prototypes being stolen, it will take Apple 2 years to rebuild and release the products that they were getting ready to launch.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
It was Gandalf and Thorin who sent Bilbo - The Burglar - to look for some runes.
Obviously they had a terrible surprise when they started a Mac and it was Siri giving weather information and not Lady Galadriel.
Now they are heading for Misty Mountains across Yosemite to look for Steve Golum Balmer thinking Cortana may be of much better use. Steve is gurading his precioussss "developers ring" hidden deep down in Khaza Dum (Microsoft's sound proof studio)

Meanwhile Sauron painted his hair blonde and going for the US presidency - his army of trolls and orcs are chasing in Cupertion Galad for the burglar.

Shouldn't these news be on TV and not on Macrumors?

Max Portakabin

Suspended
Sep 25, 2014
bl**dy hell, who gives a monkeys about american/english grammar.

Where is the stolen/leaked new MBP or iPhone? :D did they get away with anything?

MR should be concerned. In one hand they want to be a global site on the other they keep using American slang and colloquialisms. It puts people off in the rest of the English speaking world for two reasons. 1) it's difficult to understand and 2) it stinks of American imperialism, this time in terms of language.

Welcome the snarky responses but just doing my bit to help the site.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
MR should be concerned. In one hand they want to be a global site on the other they keep using American slang and colloquialisms. It puts people off in the rest of the English speaking world for two reasons. 1) it's difficult to understand and 2) it stinks of American imperialism, this time in terms of language.

Helping with snarky responses?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Yep. 2 Americas. Rich/corporate and the police serve you. Not that?, "we'll get back to you when we're ready."
Yet, they are the ones that don't pay enough taxes which at the end is what it's the cops in the first place.
[doublepost=1470927450][/doublepost]

Well, this is macrumors not macrumours.
Besides that, it seems both words came out at the same time so it's not slang and colloquialisms. Also, just because one side uses a different word does not mean it's not a real word as well. As long as it's in the dictionary it's not slang/colloquialism. Writers here are from the us. So they will use words they learned in the us. Besides that, there are more people that use the US vernacular population wise so if you want to be more global you should use US words like color, aluminum, etc.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
There was no burglary.

Apple staged the whole thing. They needed an excuse for no product updates.

Next month they'll have the press release stating that due to all schematics, designs, and prototypes being stolen, it will take Apple 2 years to rebuild and release the products that they were getting ready to launch.

Their iCloud backup failed

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
In the UK we use the term 'burgling' and refer to being 'burgled'.

And butlers buttle.
[doublepost=1470933592][/doublepost]
Vandalism is an act carried out by a vandal. (Which is a term derived from an old Germanic tribe.)

A burgler is someone who burgles.

In one, the verb is derived form the noun. In the other, the noun is derived from the verb.

But in the American case, it's a verb derived from a noun derived from a verb. It's like saying someone constructorized a house, or demolisherized a building.

Or that weird UK back formation of "conversate" from conversation.

Max Portakabin

Suspended
Sep 25, 2014
Yet, they are the ones that don't pay enough taxes which at the end is what it's the cops in the first place.
[doublepost=1470927450][/doublepost]

Well, this is macrumors not macrumours.
Besides that, it seems both words came out at the same time so it's not slang and colloquialisms. Also, just because one side uses a different word does not mean it's not a real word as well. As long as it's in the dictionary it's not slang/colloquialism. Writers here are from the us. So they will use words they learned in the us. Besides that, there are more people that use the US vernacular population wise so if you want to be more global you should use US words like color, aluminum, etc.

Typical imperialist attitude. Lucky Apple is a bit more outward looking.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
MR should be concerned. In one hand they want to be a global site on the other they keep using American slang and colloquialisms.
They may or may not use slang and colloquialisms, but "burglarized" is neither slang nor a colloquialism. It's a fully correct North American word found in the Oxford dictionary. It differs from the UK, but so do other word uses like "truck" vs. "lorry", grammatical variations like "in the hospital" vs. "in hospital", and spellings like "color" vs. "colour".

Neither is more right than the other, neither is more or less colloquial than the other, and both have hundreds of millions of people that use them. The US has three times the population of the UK and Australia combined, and many international English learners study US English, but the Hong Kong and Indian dialects are UK based and there are also plenty of British English ESL students, so it's hard to say which is more widely used. What's certain is that there's a lot of both.

There are plenty of tech sites that use UK standard spelling in some articles and US spelling in others, depending on the particular author. MacRumors, with mostly US-based writers (I'm assuming), unsurprisingly used the American standards, and that's hardly exclusionary of them. The only things I can think of that should be avoided are those that create actual confusion, such as words that have substantially different meanings and date shorthand (where the Y-M-D order varies from country to country and can cause significant confusion).

Also, even with slang, thanks to the internet, Hollywood, and global media, it's not really geographically isolated anyway--every American recognizes "bloody" even if they don't use it, and nearly all understand "brilliant" thanks to Harry Potter, while I'm sure nearly every British internet user recognizes common American slang even if they don't use it.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

Here's another way to approach it - produce An American version of the site, a British site, variants for former holdings of the British Empire that exceed, say, 1 million in population...

When English is spoken anywhere beyond the shores of Britain, it's a byproduct of British Imperialism. By all rights, my little part of the U.S. should be speaking either Dutch or an Algonquian dialect. Place names abound in both languages, as well as British-Anglicized bastardizations of both - one of the ways a victor shows "respect" for the vanquished.... Would U.S. Cultural Imperialism have been so successful had the world not been pre-seeded with so many speakers of the King's (or Queen's) English? (Our apologies to all for requiring you to adapt to American usage - we really ought to have stuck to BBC Standard.)

This is the Internet. Web sites have choices: 1) Produce the site in any language(s) or dialect(s) the site chooses. Leave the doors open to anyone in the world who would like to visit (no visas or passports required), and let the visitors deal with the language differences. 2) Require that every site on the web be produced in at least 30 major languages and dialects (and good luck translating message board sarcasm accurately). In fact, if we were to limit ourselves to just 30 major languages, we'd find they nearly all have an imperial history. That's kind of the way things work.

We can either allow our differences to divide us, or as they used to say in far larger regions of Canada than they currently do, vive la différence!

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Jeez, as one of the instigators I can only apologise for how sour this has turned. The American word is amusing to some, the U.K. word amusing to others, and neither makes complete sense. Everyone should continue to use and enjoy the quaint verbiage of their forefathers. Except possibly news writers, who could use a more neutral term (e.g. break-in) to avoid silly side issues overshadowing their story. And quit saying 'a savings' for Christ's sake.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
lol, good to know that when people give you a different perspective than yours that is where you go. I always find the false sense of superiority of some to be laughable in this day and age.

PS: I was born and raised in latin america.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan

A. they put what the news out there puts out. If its American English...so be it. If BBC was onsite just for this....man that has to be a slow news day to have a reporter catch the red eye to Cali for that.
B. If a site is American poster heavy..is what it is.
C. Another English variant site is free to be put and try for an audience. Then we can see how they fair with universal English.

Its the internet, expand the mind. really. Or chill out. Via gaming (MMO's) I have seen and learned much since I am an American in the broad realm of Oceanic TZ (Asia falls into by and large for gaming purposes).

Australian and British English slang...I have learned some of that that. I adapt. Do I like being a "translator" when a new American MMO player hops in on our TZ and I have to explain some things. Actually, yeah.

Always fun to educate a fellow American when old boy says shut the hell up sheep shagger, its an Australian busting the balls of a New Zealander when they ask me wth are they on about.

Or they see heated stuff about ashes in the game chat. Wth is that? dude..its a cricket thing, leave it be man. Its the trolling/ball busting you only pursue if you know of the sport...and you are prepared for the firestorm that may come because some are (way too) serious about those ashes.

gertruded

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Northwestern Illinois
This tread is a riot. Made my day, but still points out how bad Apple has become by refusing to update their product line and trying to sell years old technology as new, and at high prices. Apple is destroying themselves trying to maximize short term profits while angering their customer base.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This tread is a riot. Made my day, but still points out how bad Apple has become by refusing to update their product line and trying to sell years old technology as new, and at high prices. Apple is destroying themselves trying to maximize short term profits while angering their customer base.
Not really sure this really points out any of that.

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2012
Just came here to see people fighting over spellings of words in a language which has few well-defined, good grammar rules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.