Manny Being Manny: 50 Game MLB Suspension for PED

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Unspeaked, May 7, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

So much for being one of the "best hitters of our generation."

Who's left that hasn't been accused/found guilty? Ken Griffey Jr. is all I can think of...

(By the way, this is going to cost him nearly $9 million in lost salary...)

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

HAHA. i just saw a dodgers commercial on tv asking me to "spend time with manny and the rest of the dodgers" a few days ago

growing up a giants fan this is good news indeed.

3. mondesi43 macrumors regular

Junior and Frank Thomas (Thomas has been huge his whole life) are about the only two I can thnk of off hand.

4. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

To think I thought he was beefing up because he's a pot head with the munchies.

6. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, it makes some of those sluggers from the early 90s seem a lot more impressive.

I think it's only a matter of time before we hear Pujols' name mixed up in something.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The only good news is... they are running out of "big names" to implicate

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

This does not come as a surprise to me. Most of these major leaguers are roiding it for sure...I'd imagine that new names will continue to pop up.

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

How could he be so dumb to use roids after all that has went down?

10. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

Did anyone actually read the article? It says he went to the doctor and was using a prescription drug. I haven't seen a report stating exactly what it was but it must contain or be a substance that MLB does not allow. He states it was not a steroid, and thought it was OK to use.

Being that he took it, its in his body he is responsible for it... even though it could be something that would do nothing to enhance his performance.

11. sbauer macrumors member

ESPN's version

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

OR

Yahoo's version

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-ramirezsuspension050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

12. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Not even Manny can be Manny if he's not playing. So, the Dodgers are in first place now. Where do you think they will be in 50 games???

13. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Because professional ballplayers have certainly shown us they deserve the benefit of the doubt in the past few years when it comes to PEDs...

:rolleyes:

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe Manny saw that story about the guy who is pregnant for a second time, and said "I can do that." :eek:

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think this is sad. I think it is sad regarding all the players who have used and gotten caught.

:(

16. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

1st place in the West. Competition is that weak.

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

all the other players that said they "didnt know what they were taking" excuse Manny is the closest one i would come to believing haha. i dont but i could see it.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hopefully a story/excuse comes out that I'll actually believe, because right now, I don't fully believe he could be so stupid.

PEDs are where all the focus is on right now in baseball, and he decides to take a form of steroids that's so easily found in the body? I mean, he's not even taking a new designer drug that's hard for MLB to trace? How can anybody be so stupid? Perhaps I'm underestimating the ability of stupid people to do stupid things, but I really doubt it.

I don't really care about baseball at all, so it's not like I'm a fan of his, or even know who he is. I don't. I just find this a bit suss, and I hope a more believable story comes out to explain the whole thing.

19. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Exactly. It's not like his doctor didn't know he's a professional ballplayer and didn't realize that something he prescribed him could come up in the well-publicized random screenings they've been conducting the past two years.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

he didnt test positive for steroids. he tested positive for a women's fertility drug that is used at the end of a steroid cycle to help jump start his own testosterone production.

21. fotografica macrumors 68040

Umm,well yeah,we're dealing with Manny here..The same guy that disappeared into the green monster to take a leak during a game. Anything is possible with him...

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yep. Griffey is all that is left. and i've been a fan since i first starting watching baseball, and am still a fan of Griffey

23. fotografica macrumors 68040

And you've got to wonder what he would have done numbers wise had he been healthy for most of his career...

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can't wait until he comes back, wolf whistles, comments on his pretty hair and how his breasts look bigger.

25. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Sorry didn't read the whole thread.

Manny got busted for pot again ?
    :p

btw I'm very happy Griffey came back to Seattle even though he's just a figurehead. Seattle loved him. And we welcome him back.