Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cfreak

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
North America
Alternatively, if you do not have the original Mac flashed GPU, you can use Opencore to run Memtest86 from Opencore's boot picker. Installing it is a bit involved (but simple) but I guess I am are going off topic here. Could write a separate thread guide.
I am still on Mojave and looking to install 11.6 soon (just thought I'd like to get the random crashing issue worked out 1st!).

Thanks for the instructions using my original GPU. I do have it & Mojave installed, while it sounds promising, but as we all move forward with 5,1's on OC, I enjoy learning how to do things in OC more.

If you could provide a link or feel like writing a guide on how to install/use Memtest86 from OC's boot picker, I would be happy to try that and I am sure it would help others troubleshooting down the road.

I also run OC on my 9th gen Hackintosh, but, am a relative noob on it's inner workings. happy to learn.

Thank you in advance!

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Another +1 for Martin's Package!

I tried multiple times to do the install via cdf's method, but kept getting kernel panics keeping me locked in a bootloop.

I reformatted my main SSD and put a fresh Mojave on it with Martin's Package 0.7.5, and now am sucessfully running Catalina 10.15.7 without any hiccups at all!

Now just have to find a way to get Windows working, but just wanted to give a big shoutout to @cdf for all your help thru DM, even though I couldn't get it working with your method -- your help is very well appreciate!

@h9826790 Thank you for making such a kick ass "one-stop-shop" for Clover/OpenCore!

Cfreak

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
North America
Alternatively, if you do not have the original Mac flashed GPU, you can use Opencore to run Memtest86 from Opencore's boot picker. Installing it is a bit involved (but simple) but I guess I am are going off topic here. Could write a separate thread guide.
OK, I found some instructions here:

"Memory testing utility
  • Added Flavour key for MemTest (memtest86) and updated recommended memtest86 config in sample.plist files.
To use MemTest you have to download memtest86 from its website. Mount the file memtest86-usb.img. Now, you should see a folder named EFI containing a folder named BOOT, open it. We are interested in only 2 files: BOOX64.efi (it's the app for 64 bits) and unifont.bin. Save these 2 files in a folder called memtest86 and put this folder inside the OpenCore Tools folder. The Path key of this tool in config.plist must point to memtest86/BOOTX64.efi. This way, running MemTest from its icon in the picker executes the memory check."

I follow the instructions, opened OCC and added memtest's BOOTX64.efi to config.plist's MISC>TOOLS. Upon reboot, I now see all the tools in my boot picker, but, unfortunately the I tried to execute BOOTX64.efi nothing happened in OC defaulted back to my default boot device.
I'm not sure what to next...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.24.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.24.26 PM.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 115

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Anyone else here have an external audio interface? Having issues with it with OpenCore?

I am unable to listen to music @ any bit rates above 48kHz.... This used to not be the case on High Sierra, I always kept it @ 192kHz, with occasinally going down to 88.2 when working in Ableton on some things.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Another +1 for Martin's Package!

I tried multiple times to do the install via cdf's method, but kept getting kernel panics keeping me locked in a bootloop.

I reformatted my main SSD and put a fresh Mojave on it with Martin's Package 0.7.5, and now am sucessfully running Catalina 10.15.7 without any hiccups at all!

Now just have to find a way to get Windows working, but just wanted to give a big shoutout to @cdf for all your help thru DM, even though I couldn't get it working with your method -- your help is very well appreciate!

@h9826790 Thank you for making such a kick ass "one-stop-shop" for Clover/OpenCore!
Just Install Windows in Legacy Mode. I run Windows 10 in my Mac Pro 5,1, All bootcamps drivers working. Brightness and sound ajusted by keys, etc etc.

SJerc

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
@cdf Forgot to mention that in your SurPlus section in post #1 you have "<key>Patch<key/>", when it's suppose to be "<key>Patch</key>". At least that's what I recall correcting after validating config.plist after doing the copy/paste. Thanks again for all your help and work.

Reactions: box185

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
^I didn't find "<key>Patch<key/>", but the correct "<key>Patch</key>". There are, however, at least four occurrences of "<key/>" that should presumably be corrected to "</key>". My personal working config.plist doesn't have one single case of "<key/>", although I believe there might be cases where such abbreviated notation may be warranted.

Reactions: box185

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
^I didn't find "<key>Patch<key/>", but the correct "<key>Patch</key>". There are, however, at least four occurrences of "<key/>" that should presumably be corrected to "</key>". My personal working config.plist doesn't have one single case of "<key/>", although I believe there might be cases where such abbreviated notation may be warranted.
<key/> would only be used to represent an empty key like this: <key></key>
Is there any case where an empty key would be called for?

Reactions: MacNB2

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
<key/> would only be used to represent an empty key like this: <key></key>
Is there any case where an empty key would be called for?
I wasn't referring to a specific example in the guide where an empty key was or should be present. However, there's a "<key>PlatformInfo<key/>" that presumably ought to be corrected to "<key>PlatformInfo</key>" and a "<key>PlatformNVRAM<key/>" that presumably should be "<key>PlatformNVRAM</key>". Perhaps I'm mistaken?

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
OK, I found some instructions here:

"Memory testing utility
  • Added Flavour key for MemTest (memtest86) and updated recommended memtest86 config in sample.plist files.
To use MemTest you have to download memtest86 from its website. Mount the file memtest86-usb.img. Now, you should see a folder named EFI containing a folder named BOOT, open it. We are interested in only 2 files: BOOX64.efi (it's the app for 64 bits) and unifont.bin. Save these 2 files in a folder called memtest86 and put this folder inside the OpenCore Tools folder. The Path key of this tool in config.plist must point to memtest86/BOOTX64.efi. This way, running MemTest from its icon in the picker executes the memory check."

I follow the instructions, opened OCC and added memtest's BOOTX64.efi to config.plist's MISC>TOOLS. Upon reboot, I now see all the tools in my boot picker, but, unfortunately the I tried to execute BOOTX64.efi nothing happened in OC defaulted back to my default boot device.
I'm not sure what to next...

That's a good guide to install and run memtest86 on OpenCore.
But you you did not follow the instructions you quoted above.

It states "Save these 2 files in a folder called memtest86 and put this folder inside the OpenCore Tools folder". Memtest86 needs that unifont.bin font file to run.

Also, the reason you see all the Tools in the Boot Picker is because you have enabled them all in using that configurator tool you are using (personally not recommended).

Your EFI folder structure should look like this:

Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 09.38.03.png

In your config.plist, the entry for memtest86 should look like this:

Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 09.39.28.png

If you are new, then it's best to use a plist editor instead of that tool. There are many but I personally prefer & use PlistEdit Pro App (pictured above). High degree of producing fully compliant plist files and really easy to use.

Reactions: Cfreak

Conzpiral

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2020
Anyone else here have an external audio interface? Having issues with it with OpenCore?

I am unable to listen to music @ any bit rates above 48kHz.... This used to not be the case on High Sierra, I always kept it @ 192kHz, with occasinally going down to 88.2 when working in Ableton on some things.
What interface do you have, FireWire or USB?

I have the same problem in BigSur connected via the FireWire port (I did not test yet via USB connection). In Catalina it was fine above 48kHz with my RME Fireface UFX audio interface.
Using samplerate beyond 48kHz playing audio thru system or via software like Logic Pro X with high buffer size makes no difference, in BigSur the audio starts crackling.

Before the SurPlus patch it was even not working in 44kHz, long latency and crackling using the latebloom patch.
Could this be a problem on the Apple side, maybe they did something to their FireWire driver in BigSur? I am running BigSur 11.6.1 and OC 0.7.5.

EDIT:
I just found my solution!
In my my audio drivers settings I limited the bandwith of the interface... to not use All Channels.

FFSettings.png

Now I can play high resolution audio files again, and do 96kHz projects in Logic Pro X without crackle/distortion.

Last edited:
Reactions: prefuse07

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
What interface do you have, FireWire or USB?

I have the same problem in BigSur connected via the FireWire port (I did not test yet via USB connection). In Catalina it was fine above 48kHz with my RME Fireface UFX audio interface.
Using samplerate beyond 48kHz playing audio thru system or via software like Logic Pro X with high buffer size makes no difference, in BigSur the audio starts crackling.

Before the SurPlus patch it was even not working in 44kHz, long latency and crackling using the latebloom patch.
Could this be a problem on the Apple side, maybe they did something to their FireWire driver in BigSur? I am running BigSur 11.6.1 and OC 0.7.5.

EDIT:
I just found my solution!
In my my audio drivers settings I limited the bandwith of the interface... to not use All Channels.

View attachment 1905800
Now I can play high resolution audio files again, and do 96kHz projects in Logic Pro X without crackle/distortion.

I'm currently using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen, via USB. I hate that you can't change the buffer rate on Mac, in windows whenever I've had issues like this I just set it to 1024 or lower it accordingly and it fixes it...

I'm going to enable AppleALC.efi and see if that changes it (really hoping it does!)

Edit: Your audio drivers settings -- Are you making those changes in OC Configurator or Clover? Wondering if maybe I can modify my config.plist to enable it on all channels and stop the bandwidth flutter...

Last edited:

cMP beginner

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2020
A success story: Today I updated Opencore to the latest package from Martin Lo (075) and made the appropriate changes (updatenvram, secure boot model). Update process took about 40 minutes (I guess 3-4 reboots). So far everything seems ok. For the future. Should I just leave the OC configuration like that (when I for example don't need to boot into Mojave) or make any changes? What about future update of Moneterey. Is the VMM flag required or just the "normal" configuration?

Conzpiral

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2020
Edit: Your audio drivers settings -- Are you making those changes in OC Configurator or Clover? Wondering if maybe I can modify my config.plist to enable it on all channels and stop the bandwidth flutter...
No, this is the specific driver from RME for my audio interface. You have to look for something similar within Focusrites own driver software if it exists.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
A success story: Today I updated Opencore to the latest package from Martin Lo (075) and made the appropriate changes (updatenvram, secure boot model). Update process took about 40 minutes (I guess 3-4 reboots). So far everything seems ok. For the future. Should I just leave the OC configuration like that (when I for example don't need to boot into Mojave) or make any changes? What about future update of Moneterey. Is the VMM flag required or just the "normal" configuration?
Update: (Fixing the below removing "bless" so that it doesn't confuse anyone else)

VMM is disabled by default in Martin's Package -- Per Martin's Instructions you should enable it only if you intend to do an OTA update. i.e. f you were planning on OTA updating to Monterrey from Big Sur, you would turn on VMM, reboot, and then update it. Then after the install, you would disable VMM, reboot, and keep it that way until you decided to do the next OTA update, etc...

Last edited:

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
No, this is the specific driver from RME for my audio interface. You have to look for something similar within Focusrites own driver software if it exists.

Yeah, that's what I thought -- "Focus Control" is the name of their software, but on Mac, it doesn't allow you to change the buffer size, only the sample rate. The Windows ver does allow this. Ugh Apple, and their authoritative "control" over everything!

Cfreak

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
North America
Your EFI folder structure should look like this:

Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 09.38.03.png

In your config.plist, the entry for memtest86 should look like this:

Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 09.39.28.png

If you are new, then it's best to use a plist editor instead of that tool. There are many but I personally prefer & use PlistEdit Pro App (pictured above). High degree of producing fully compliant plist files and really easy to use.
Success!!!
Great info, Thanks for the screenshot and recommendation of a good plist editor. I had placed the 2 files correctly but the other tool didn't respect the file path I though I'd selected. From your screenshot of PlistEdit Pro App I was able to see what had not been respected by the other tool and made the changes....

And now 48 GBs of RAM in triple channel will get the acid test!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.56.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.56.02 AM.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.57.30 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.57.30 AM.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4021D.jpg
    IMG_4021D.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 65

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
you would turn on VMM, bless, reboot, and then update it. Then after the install, you would disable VMM, bless, reboot
No need to bless every time. In fact, doing so is problematic, as you'd be blessing OC through OC. The blessing from the initial installation (when booting natively) is enough.

Reactions: prefuse07

Conzpiral

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2020
Yeah, that's what I thought -- "Focus Control" is the name of their software, but on Mac, it doesn't allow you to change the buffer size, only the sample rate. The Windows ver does allow this. Ugh Apple, and their authoritative "control" over everything!
On the mac you do not set the buffer in the driver, you set it within the program you use e.g. within audio settings of Logic Pro X etc. Anyway, your interface does not seem to have that many channels. Did you try diffrent USB ports, front back?

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Success!!!
Great info, Thanks for the screenshot and recommendation of a good plist editor. I had placed the 2 files correctly but the other tool didn't respect the file path I though I'd selected. From your screenshot of PlistEdit Pro App I was able to see what had not been respected by the other tool and made the changes....

And now 48 GBs of RAM in triple channel will get the acid test!

Thank you!

You are welcome !
Well done and good luck with the tests.
BTW, Memtest86 has screenshot facilities...just hit F12 and a screenshot is saved in the same folder where you put those two files

That OC Configurator tool is not very useful IMHO. It is even known to generate bad/corrupted config files.
The PlistEdit Pro is my favourite and much easier than using a pure text editors as you do not need to know/understand Plist formatting structures, etc.

Reactions: Cfreak

cMP beginner

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2020
No need to bless every time. In fact, doing so is problematic, as you'd be blessing OC through OC. The blessing from the initial installation (when booting natively) is enough.
that is definitely a good point! I had that issue and did not realize it a long time (OC would not work anymore after I blessed it from OC...)

cMP beginner

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2020
My OC 0.7.5. with secure boot model and updatenvram changes boots incredibly slow (Monterey). Now I went back to my OC 0.7.4 and everything is fine again. Any insights on that?

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
On the mac you do not set the buffer in the driver, you set it within the program you use e.g. within audio settings of Logic Pro X etc. Anyway, your interface does not seem to have that many channels. Did you try diffrent USB ports, front back?

Yeah that's right you set it using the DAW.

I am having some weird stuff happen though.... I can set to 96kHz with a buffer rate of 512, and with Ableton open, there is no latency at all -- clear as day.

Then as soon as I quit Ableton, the latency comes back..... I've tried playing around adding some negativity to bring the latency down to absolute 0, and even to negative values such as -45ms, but I still get issues as soon as I quit Ableton. Really odd!

Edit:

There has got to be a way to fix these latency issues.... This is NOT acceptable

In my DAW I can set the sample rate to 192kHz @ 1024 bit size and I have a 12.8ms overall latency, which is within the 13ms allowed range, but as soon as I exit the DAW, the latency issues persist.

I've tried switchin USB ports with no luck -- wonder if it's my USB cable? hmmm I didn't have any issues like this with High Sierra though -- and I think now this was one of the reasons I decided to stay on that OS for as long as I did.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.