Many CarPlay Vehicles Debuting at Los Angeles Auto Show

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just a few days before the Los Angeles Auto Show opens to the public, many automakers have debuted new vehicles compatible with Apple's CarPlay system, providing hands-free access to Maps, Messages, Phone, Music, and select third-party apps.

We've confirmed that CarPlay is available either as a standard option or as an upgrade in the following 2018 and 2019 vehicle makes and models:2018 BMW i3
2018 BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo
2018 Hyundai Kona
2018 Jeep Wrangler
2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
2019 Audi A8
2019 Genesis G70
2019 Kia Sorento
2019 Lincoln MKC
2019 Lincoln Nautilus
2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS
2019 Porsche Cayenne
2019 Subaru Ascent
2019 Volvo XC40It's likely that the 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line and 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 also support CarPlay.

CarPlay is now available in hundreds of vehicle models around the world, but there are still a few notable absentees at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The 2018 Mazda6, for example, will not support CarPlay at launch. "As a company we continue to look into implementing CarPlay into future Mazda vehicles," a Mazda spokesperson told MacRumors today.

The company behind Jaguar, Land Rover, and Range Rover is also showing off several vehicles at the auto show, but none of them are compatible with CarPlay. "The technology is on the way soon," a Jaguar-Land Rover spokesperson told MacRumors today.

Other CarPlay-less vehicles include the 2019 Lexus RX L and 2019 Infiniti QX50. Lexus parent company Toyota is the biggest automaker to not support CarPlay.

A recent survey indicated that an increasing number of customers consider CarPlay a must-have feature, so it may only be a matter of time before some of those automakers holding out on Apple's technology reverse course.

Article Link: Many CarPlay Vehicles Debuting at Los Angeles Auto Show

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
I've had CarPlay for 2 years now in my VW and it is great. The only thing I do not like is how the album artwork is displayed. It is blurred behind the text and is usually so blurred you cant tell what it is. Just get rid of it and put the nice clean text on a black screen. Or make the album artwork normal res and smaller someplace else. Its pointless how it is now.

mariusignorello

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2013
Yuck.
UI was designed by a part time intern that wandered in every morning after rolling all night long.

"I JUST LOVE THIS DIGITAL HOME BUTTON THAT WE USE NO WHERE ELSE IN OUR PRODUCTS. I JUST LOVE IT SO MUCH. I MUST USE IT NOW AND PLACE IT IN THE BEST SPOT. I LOVE THIS SPOT."
Should they make the UI more like iPhone X then? Use a Home indicator?

peterjames.org

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Portland, OR, USA
I desire a wireless solution in my 2018 Honda Odyssey. The car has a Qi charging pad, and I now have a iPhone X...wireless CarPlay would be the cherry on this sundae. The wireless implementation ball might be in Honda's court, not Apple's, however.

hsoj1006

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
I got CarPlay in my 2017 Chevy Sonic. Frankly, while I think it is great, I rarely use it. The apps I use the most aren't compatible like Waze and SiriusXM. Therefore, I just use my phone mounted. There is so much potential for CarPlay but after wanting it for a few years and now having it, I rarely use it. Plus, it isn't wireless, so when I charge my phone, it MUST be through the USB port. Fun Fact: The USB port charges LESS and SLOWER than using a USB lighter jack adapter.

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
My KiA has CarPlay and a wireless charging pad but it can only connect via USB and disconnects from bluetooth when linked to CarPlay. Its a minor annoyance, but fingers crossed it may be something for the future with a firmware update for KIA ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.