Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Moto_0000_Location-1-2.jpg

Take a look at what happened to Maps.

I did the same test myself inside of Maps and what do you know, take a look at what I got. I am not sure if I am able to trust the Apple mapping solution.

image.jpg

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
I think Apple has acknowledged issues and that changes are coming, right? I'll continue using MapQuest for turn-by-turn navigation for now. It's a nice app.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I think Apple has acknowledged issues and that changes are coming, right? I'll continue using MapQuest for turn-by-turn navigation for now. It's a nice app.

that's not the point though, sure there's alternatives but the turn by turn directions was a key feature of iOS 6 and the fact that it was built into the OS.. Now you can't even use it in fear that you'll end up out in BFE, yet another icon I can stuff into a stack and never use..

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
I use Waze, good for its live traffic. Free!
For offline, I use Navigon. Pricy in the world of $1 apps, but considering a good GPS device costs much more than that, no complains.
Maybe I'm just used to no turn-by-turn navigations on my iPhone 4. Not yet spoiled.

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
its a database people. maybe after apple has 8 years to perfect it like google, itll be near perfect, jesus, i wish we could go back to googlemaps on their first year and see how "imperfect" it was.

give it a chance people, good god....

Stvjamesl

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
View attachment 361750

Take a look at what happened to Maps.

I did the same test myself inside of Maps and what do you know, take a look at what I got. I am not sure if I am able to trust the Apple mapping solution.

View attachment 361749

These aren't even comparison photos, they don't appear to be for the same place and the iphone is in standard view (basic) vs the Motorola view being in hybrid (detailed).

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
its a database people. maybe after apple has 8 years to perfect it like google, itll be near perfect, jesus, i wish we could go back to googlemaps on their first year and see how "imperfect" it was.

tumblr_lzvcyrNsCc1qbygev.gif

How dare you use logic! What type of witchcraft is this?! ;)

P.S. can we please get more people like you on the forum? Pls pls? :)

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
It's astonishing to me that anyone believes that a company - even our beloved Apple - could produce a problem-free mapping solution their first time out. Why are people surprised? Just consider the volume of mapping data that google has gathered over years. It's mind boggling. Be reasonable. Quit bitching. And above all, quit sticking "-gate" after everything. It makes you look stupid.

What percentage of the readers of this forum even know the genesis of the term "-gate"? I'm pretty sure anyone under 30 has no idea where this term comes from.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

I get your point, but the difference here is we were switched from something that works to something that doesn't.

Many rely on maps and base their day to day off of that. Before iPhone with google maps, I had a TomTom.

Siri, sure label as beta. That's one thing. Switching a great map program to your own non polished version is something else.

I don't rely on maps so no real issue to me, but I can understand how many are unhappy.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

This!

Google maps is still pretty imperfect. It was my only nav system around Hawaii and I had a heck of a time trying to find some places.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'm curious to see if Google includes Navigation when they release their maps app.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It's astonishing to me that anyone believes that a company - even our beloved Apple - could produce a problem-free mapping solution their first time out. Why are people surprised? Just consider the volume of mapping data that google has gathered over years. It's mind boggling. Be reasonable. Quit bitching. And above all, quit sticking "-gate" after everything. It makes you look stupid.

What percentage of the readers of this forum even know the genesis of the term "-gate"? I'm pretty sure anyone under 30 has no idea where this term comes from.

I know my US History, president Nixon

----------

These aren't even comparison photos, they don't appear to be for the same place and the iphone is in standard view (basic) vs the Motorola view being in hybrid (detailed).

The purpose of this thread is to showcase the directions, not the standard view vs. hybrid view. But here you go. Imagine if I was using Siri to ask her to navigate me to 315 E 15th St, and I get taken here instead.
image.jpg

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012

This.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida

That's not the point. When Google Maps was new it was probably 20 times worse than this. The point is that there is a FAR BETTER solution out there that Apple is preventing us from using. Yeah yeah there's maps.google.com but realistically that's not a true solution.

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I used the apple maps turn by turn to take us to a local winery.... After taking us off the map through some dirt roads it said to park the car and walk the rest of the way.... I'm NOT kidding.

I then loaded up google maps in safari to find that the apple maps put the winery in the middle of the freakin woods!!! I used my go to GPS to drive another 30 minutes to finally get out of the woods and back to where the winery actually was.

Needless to say ill stick with motionx GPS drive until all these kinks are worked out. I love the simplicity of apple maps and the Siri integration, but I'm staying away for now. Very disappointed.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012

A third party app wont solve the problem because thousands of apps are built to use Apple maps natively.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010

Apple have just replaced an 8-year perfected app, with a 1-year 'perfected' app. I, for one, would choose the 8-year perfected app than the 1-year one.

We're not expecting a perfect app. We were expecting an upgrade from the previous maps app. It does have some nice touches, like the little review and photos section from yell. But I don't want to be pulled out of the maps app every time I want to see some more photos.

fort

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
I believe what the op is trying to point out is we had a good very reliable app with google. Apple touted their maps as one of the KEY parts of ios6. Why make a big deal and advertise it if it still needs tweaks and we were already using a better app. No offense intended. I like my iPhone as much as the next person but don't take serious, legitimate criticism so personally. It's like going backward with technology. Lets use something that doesn't work as well because it is newer. Doesn't really make sense. I believe if you guys are honest with yourselves and SG3 came out with a "new" map program that didn't work or you couldn't trust you would be all over it. Again own and use my iPhone.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I get your point, but the difference here is we were switched from something that works to something that doesn't.

Many rely on maps and base their day to day off of that. Before iPhone with google maps, I had a TomTom.

Siri, sure label as beta. That's one thing. Switching a great map program to your own non polished version is something else.

I don't rely on maps so no real issue to me, but I can understand how many are unhappy.

My thoughts exactly, 100%.

I can't believe how many people are so quick to defend Apple on this one. It's ridiculous.

If Apple wanted to replace the existing Maps, they needed to be sure it was BETTER than before. Period. No "aww it's their first time, how cute" excuses. You people are completely ridiculous.

Would you say the same thing if iMessage only worked half the time? Sending your messages to the wrong people, or not at all? "It's okay, Apple is new to text messages... Don't worry, it will get better!"

No. Something like this MUST be reliable and accurate.

fort

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
Apple have just replaced an 8-year perfected app, with a 1-year 'perfected' app. I, for one, would choose the 8-year perfected app than the 1-year one.

We're not expecting a perfect app. We were expecting an upgrade from the previous maps app. It does have some nice touches, like the little review and photos section from yell. But I don't want to be pulled out of the maps app every time I want to see some more photos.

Well said, well said...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

I get this, but I also get why people are up in arms. Apple Maps is heralded as one of the main (if not, thee main) feature of iOS 6, and for it to be so clearly unready for the public to use is detrimental to Apple's reputation.

All I'm hearing when people say "give it time" is an admission that Apple released an unfinished product. One that is being heralded it as a major and innovative upgrade. I mean, they literally refer to it as "innovative" in their official statement. This sort of sugar coating cannot and should not sit well with anyone, and it's important for people to call them out on this.

I have no doubt Maps will get better over time; it must. But Apple is playing a disingenuous game and the consequences should be shared by them, not just the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.