Maps potential

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Crazy Badger, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I know, another iOS6 maps thread but I just wanted to try and add some balance to the doom and gloom :D

I think everyone would agree that in many areas there is still significant work required, but when it's good it's very very good and way ahead of anything I ever saw on gmaps

[​IMG]

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I've done several journeys from installing the first beta and its been spot on for me. Apart from a few misplaced POI's its been great.

I'll be using it again at the weekend.

Would be good if this thread was just positive comments but I fear it will get ******* on in 3. 2. 1.....

3. mnemonix macrumors regular

Why would I want to see what Chicago looks like from a helicopter? I'm not even sure why anyone from Chicago would want that frankly.

4. sohaloh macrumors regular

Not everyone lives in the US or UK. What use is fly over anyways?

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

See. They can't ****ing help but come into a thread thats trying to show some positives.

I'm getting sick of the people on this forum.

6. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Again, not everyone lives in the US.

7. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine it is that much more irritating than someone posting about the fact that their entire town is a couple of hundred miles out or that all of the data around them is wrong and someone then posts "You're talking rubbish, the maps are FANTASTIC - look - I can see the Houses of Parliament in 3D"

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What's that got to do with trying to keep this thread positive?

Don't post if you have nothing positive to say?

----------

There are issues but this thread is to draw on the positives.

FFS guys. Is it really that hard to understand?? :confused:

9. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

I don't think it's hard to understand, but people are perhaps frustrated at your attempts to polish a turd.

Of course maps has potential. Apple are rich, and have the resources to devote to really make a great maps function. But most people don't want to be guinea pigs to the whole process, especially when they have been used to the far far superior google maps.

10. ReValveiT macrumors regular

Because Google Maps is MASSIVELY up to date:

[​IMG]

Oh yes. :)

11. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I would LOVE to see some positives. The navigation is great, but there is no way in hell I would use it because the maps are so inaccurate. Other than the navigation and the 'woohooo' 5 second toy that is 3D flyover view, no matter how hard I try and no matter how big an Apple fan I am, I cannot find a single positive in the map app.

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It's just the nature of them. Look at the Macbook Pro forum when Apple launched Retina Mac. I mean it's the best notebook in the world and what do we got? Threads after threads of whining.

PS: From what's posted on here I thought it will be pretty bad. To my surprise, it's almost the same as Google one in iOS 5 and I don't even be in the US or UK.

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Well there you go.

Thanks for ruining the thread. I'll get a Mod to lock it seeing as people can't stay out. :(

14. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

I love apple. I've never complained about an update before in my life, let alone rolled back to a previous version as I have this time. This isn't about it being in people's natures to whine, this is about apple making a (bizarrely) bad decision, and people being justifiably upset.

----------

Blimey, do you need to sulk because apple released a bit of a dog turd? Of course there are positives. Of course it can be fixed. There's nothing wrong with talking of the potential, it's just a bit bonkers to do it without accepting that the reason we're talking about the potential is because the current version really isn't very good.

15. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

What is far far superior?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Are you seriously not getting the point of this thread :confused:

17. ReValveiT macrumors regular

I added an Apple positive by supplying a Google negative.

:D

18. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

But you have to understand that not every one outside US or UK has the same awful experience as you. Can you accept that? If you can, please kindly leave this thread and continue your .... in the proper thread.

19. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

Great. Now try pretty much any town in the UK. I live in London, one of the major cities in the world, and it is awful. I go out walking in the country with my dog every weekend. Apple doesn't even have major towns in the right place. We aren't talking a pin a little out, we are talking whole towns moved miles away.

20. matttye macrumors 601

Flyover is a flashy feature but that's all it is.

Flyover will never be in my list of considerations when choosing a maps app- accuracy of maps and turn by turn would be highest and Apple sucks at both at present.

Also, the maps need more colour to separate things.

21. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Read post #18.

22. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

Well yes, of course. I imagine it's great for Cupertino for example. I'm not angry, as I've gone back to 5.1.1 which is brilliant and I'm happy to wait for apple to sort things out. It's just a bit ridiculous to encounter people objecting to legitimate complaints, or suggesting people are being overtly critical purely because it's in their nature to be so. They really aren't.

The maps app, with apple's power and money and drive, obviously has huge potential, but that shouldn't paper over the reality that it simply isn't in a state that you would have expected for such a major change.

23. ReValveiT macrumors regular

TomTom are to blame.

As a long time TomTom app user, I can tell you their maps are shockingly out of date.

One example? There's a roundabout near me been there for 15 years. FIFTEEN YEARS! and STILL TomTom haven't acknowledged it...

...Google have :D

24. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Report it. It's easy. You can do it in the app.

25. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

TomTom are a bit bad, but apple surely have the muscle to buy data locally which would be really exciting. Some reports I saw (I think from China) that apple maps is more detailed already than google maps, based on whoever apple purchased there. They won't get Streetview this way, but that isn't so big a deal. Just get the roads and the place names right, and as much detail as possible on the maps, and it will be able to leave this whole fiasco behind in no time.