Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Again, you're claiming a moral high ground. (as I said someone would)

I would like to refer you to this statement I already made and you skipped right over.

I hope that's enough for you to understand that 1.) NO, I don't hate Oprah and 2.) Hyperboles are still a valid form or expressing an opinion.

And lastly, NO. "People should love not hate" falls flat on its face as a subjective and morally bankrupt argument. People are free to express their feelings still .... right? And no one here really hates in the way you're trying to posit, but that's more of the punt-fake morality that's been spread around nowadays.

Still no one mentioned that Oprah visited that famous island.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Again, you're claiming a moral high ground. (as I said someone would)

I would like to refer you to this statement I already made and you skipped right over.

What moral high ground lol? I never said hate was immoral.

Like I said, which you skipped over, saying “no one cares” or “no one will watch it” isn’t a personal opinion based on experience, as you claimed. It’s simply 100% objectively wrong. (Yes, I understand now you meant it hyperbolically, but others in this thread don’t. There’s a reason these Oprah threads are sometimes moved or even started in PRSI.)

And even if it were a “moral high ground”, you anticipating that potential blowback (“as I said they would”) doesn’t inoculate you from valid criticism, had your post not been merely hyperbole and not your true feelings on the matter.

What’s wrong with a moral high ground in any case? Immoral low ground is promulgated by many. Let others stake out the ground they want; you certainly do ?‍♂️ Two opposite opinions in no way implies one of them is more or less moral than the other, btw.

I hope that's enough for you to understand that 1.) NO, I don't hate Oprah and 2.) Hyperboles are still a valid form or expressing an opinion.

And lastly, NO. "People should love not hate" falls flat on its face as a subjective and morally bankrupt argument. People are free to express their feelings still .... right? And no one here really hates in the way you're trying to posit, but that's more of the punt-fake morality that's been spread around nowadays.
Plenty of people hate in the way I posited. You say “no one cares” was hyperbole, fine. I’ll take you at your word, and I’m glad to be corrected about your intended meaning.

But just because you don’t hate Oprah, doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of people who do, right? Posting “Oprah hates black men” is literally in this thread, and that definitely isn’t coming from a position of love. (Who knows—or cares—where it comes from.)

If I watch the show and hate it, I might post “Watched it. Hated it.” If someone asks why, I’ll tell them exactly why! How about “because it was a boring conversation between a couple of celebrities. Not interesting in the least”? Yes, that’s my personal opinion, and if some Oprah or Mariah fan doesn’t like it, well, that’s just tough, isn’t it? There’s nothing there that implies “immorality”, it’s just my opinion.

But that’s a LOT different from someone hating Oprah because she’s a strong, powerful, extremely successful, multi-billionaire Black woman activist; and one who uses her incredibly wide-ranging platform to provide a megaphone for others in the Black activist community, and that makes them angry. That’s a hateful personal opinion (and obviously not yours.)

There’s personal opinion (based on personal experience or not), and there’s also hateful personal opinion. Those who don’t want to get called out for hate probably shouldn’t post hate, I think we can at least agree with that?

Lastly, I meant “people should love not hate” with a wink and a smile, but there’s nothing at all “morally bankrupt” about that statement. People are free to express their feelings still... right?

PS I’m not sure why you think that when people disagree with you, it’s because your position is somehow not sufficiently moral. But I can’t get inside your head to figure out why you would assume that disagreement from others must come from a position of “moral high ground”.

When you anticipate negative reaction, like “that sounds like Oprah hate” and give a prebuttal along the lines of, I don’t hate Oprah, I knew this was coming, where do you get off coming at me from a moral high ground... I'm not a right-wing conservative, or a Bible thumping evangelical, or a homophobe, or a racist... well, maybe you can understand why people might get the wrong idea where you actually are coming from, or be a little confused? I know I was.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Digital Skunk

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Still no one mentioned that Oprah visited that famous island.
Probably because she didn’t lol. That “flight log” was an 8kun fake. If you want to see the real flight log it’s available in the court records. Finding it is probably more work than those who are into wild conspiracy theories are willing to expend; believing whatever someone tells them to is much easier. No critical thinking required ?‍♂️

Reactions: Jxdawg

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Probably because she didn’t lol. That “flight log” was an 8kun fake. If you want to see the real flight log it’s available in the court records. Finding it is probably more work than those who are into wild conspiracy theories are willing to expend; believing whatever someone tells them to is much easier. No critical thinking required ?‍♂️

Maybe she did and maybe not. But she being buddy-buddy with Harvey Weinstein and promoting John of God both criminals and sex offenders this does impact negatively her credibility and her judgement. No critical thinking required to figure this one out.

Apple should have chosen another host at least out of respect for the metoo movement. Many good and successful black women would take this job in a heartbeat.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Maybe she did and maybe not. But she being buddy-buddy with Harvey Weinstein and promoting John of God both criminals and sex offenders this does impact negatively her credibility and her judgement. No critical thinking required to figure this one out.

Apple should have chosen another host at least out of respect for the metoo movement. Many good and successful black women would take this job in a heartbeat.
Sounds like you’re ok with guilt by association. Others, not so much.

Oprah is used to people trying to cancel her by trashing her reputation with maybe-she-did, maybe-she-didn’t speculation and innuendo—as well as false accusations and flat out lies. I doubt she’s worried about what we random MR forum members think or post about her ?‍♂️

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Do you think there tends to be more input from the speakers on the speeches than their is from celebs with ghost writers? I get the speech writing part because most high level people don't have the focus or even the skill to write something but are most likely charismatic to deliver it.
I have no experience with celebrities but the people I’ve worked with range anywhere from almost no input (before, during and/or after a couple drafts) to complete micromanagement with Word’s Track Changes suggestions or corrections to nearly every line. The latter can be anywhere from somewhat annoying to exasperating, but it’s their money and I get paid by the hour.

I always ask for a few examples of previous work (sometimes their own, sometimes it’s from another speechwriter) so I can write in a tone appropriate for the occasion but consistent with their own voice. (Ideally, there are vids of previous talks or speeches they’ve given.)

I like to spend at least a half hour or so before I write anything to talk about the desired tone, length, the context, the audience, the event itself and the venue etc. I need to know the overall goal of the writing and to flesh out the message they want to convey.

Not surprisingly, I find that those who are willing to participate in the process end up being happier with the end result compared to those who are hands off, who typically wait until a near final draft to provide any constructive feedback. They’re more familiar with the words themselves and more comfortable when giving them, which is perceived by the audience as confidence and competence.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BeefCake 15

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
What moral high ground lol? I never said hate was immoral.

Like I said, which you skipped over, saying “no one cares” or “no one will watch it” isn’t a personal opinion based on experience, as you claimed. It’s simply 100% objectively wrong. (Yes, I understand now you meant it hyperbolically, but others in this thread don’t. There’s a reason these Oprah threads are sometimes moved or even started in PRSI.)

And even if it were a “moral high ground”, you anticipating that potential blowback (“as I said they would”) doesn’t inoculate you from valid criticism, had your post not been merely hyperbole and not your true feelings on the matter.

What’s wrong with a moral high ground in any case? Immoral low ground is promulgated by many. Let others stake out the ground they want; you certainly do ?‍♂️ Two opposite opinions in no way implies one of them is more or less moral than the other, btw.

Plenty of people hate in the way I posited. You say “no one cares” was hyperbole, fine. I’ll take you at your word, and I’m glad to be corrected about your intended meaning.

But just because you don’t hate Oprah, doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of people who do, right? Posting “Oprah hates black men” is literally in this thread, and that definitely isn’t coming from a position of love. (Who knows—or cares—where it comes from.)

If I watch the show and hate it, I might post “Watched it. Hated it.” If someone asks why, I’ll tell them exactly why! How about “because it was a boring conversation between a couple of celebrities. Not interesting in the least”? Yes, that’s my personal opinion, and if some Oprah or Mariah fan doesn’t like it, well, that’s just tough, isn’t it? There’s nothing there that implies “immorality”, it’s just my opinion.

But that’s a LOT different from someone hating Oprah because she’s a strong, powerful, extremely successful, multi-billionaire Black woman activist; and one who uses her incredibly wide-ranging platform to provide a megaphone for others in the Black activist community, and that makes them angry. That’s a hateful personal opinion (and obviously not yours.)

There’s personal opinion (based on personal experience or not), and there’s also hateful personal opinion. Those who don’t want to get called out for hate probably shouldn’t post hate, I think we can at least agree with that?

Lastly, I meant “people should love not hate” with a wink and a smile, but there’s nothing at all “morally bankrupt” about that statement. People are free to express their feelings still... right?

PS I’m not sure why you think that when people disagree with you, it’s because your position is somehow not sufficiently moral. But I can’t get inside your head to figure out why you would assume that disagreement from others must come from a position of “moral high ground”.

When you anticipate negative reaction, like “that sounds like Oprah hate” and give a prebuttal along the lines of, I don’t hate Oprah, I knew this was coming, where do you get off coming at me from a moral high ground... I'm not a right-wing conservative, or a Bible thumping evangelical, or a homophobe, or a racist... well, maybe you can understand why people might get the wrong idea where you actually are coming from, or be a little confused? I know I was.

That's a lot of words with so little meaning (and you still didn't really address the real issue, or anything I said.)

I'll do you a favor and just leave it at that, so you can feel better and get on with your life.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
That's a lot of words with so little meaning (and you still didn't really address the real issue, or anything I said.)
Yes a bigly number of words lol. If you wish my help deciphering the meaning, you may ask ?‍♂️

I'll do you a favor and just leave it at that, so you can feel better and get on with your life.
Sure. You’re free to bow out, if not gracefully.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.