Mark McGwire Admits....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rhett7660, Jan 11, 2010.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To quote someone much wiser than myself ... "and in other news, bears still **** in the forest".

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This guy doesn't belong to nor should he go to Cooperstown.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

5. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Why? Because he used when what seems a lot of players during this time used?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not. Now that he'll be the new hitting coach for the Cardinals, he had to come clean just to keep the media off his back so he could focus on his job as coach. It was a distraction and now it's out in the clear and hopefully no longer a distraction.

As a lifelong Cardinals fan who watched his record run, I'm disappointed. He betrayed St. Louis and all of baseball, but I'm glad he came clean. And as far as I'm concerned, Roger Maris still holds the single season home run record because it's all but guaranteed Bonds used steroids.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Any player that admits to using steroids while breaking a baseball record has no right to be there.

That's my opinion. We all have them.:)

8. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Please don't take my question as one of direct attack. I was asking and was curious as to why you thought that way. That is all.

9. RayStar macrumors member

RayStar

When sports fans and owners stop pushing for larger goals perhaps these athletes will not use the steroids.
    I'm sorry for Mark and so many others would have fallen victims to the use. I will say also I thought he so much older in the photo shot I saw.

10. addaminsane macrumors member

addaminsane

its not like mark mcguire even needed to admit to steroid use, in his case the visuals say it all. Peoples bodies simply do not change as much as his, no matter how much you lift weights, unless on the juice.

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Oh, it's the fans' fault that players don't follow the rules?

Yeah, there's a lot of temptation because using steroids helps him have a better career, win fame and fortune and do what everyone hopes he will do. That doesn't make it okay. That's like saying it would be okay for Apple to send spies into the ranks of competing companies to steal trade secrets because everyone is hoping for a great Apple tablet.

12. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Was it even a rule in MLB at the time all of this was going on? I seem to remember reading this wasn't even against MLB rules at the time.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It was against the law, lets not forget what he said to Congress.

14. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

I'm pretty sure steroids were illegal to use at this time, however, I don't believe HGh was illegal. That's why Andy Pettite didn't really get reprimanded because he wasn't breaking any MLB rules, he just got a bad name.

But to be honest, I don't blame Big Mac, he, and many others, were under pressure to perform, to deliver, and steroids did that. It may not be right, but the psychological effects to be "the best" must have been overwhelming. Not saying its right to do steroids, but I don't believe the problem is the man, but rather the era. I would very much like to see how many people used steroids, and I'd go as far to say that 30-70% of pro players have used or are using them. People shouldn't be so ignorant and just think, "Oh yeah, these dudes get big, recover quick, and come back from an injury in weeks," just because they're genetic freaks. Come on....

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is he lied about it, Pettitte came clean when his name was announced. Clemans, Bonds, Sosa, Palmero all denied it. McGwire is just trying to save face now because he is the hitting coach and wants to get into the HOF. He would have stayed quite his whole life if he could have.

16. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

No news here. Pettite is still just about the only person who got caught who has any credibility for me--and even with him, I'd still put an asterisk by his records.

McGuire still broke the law, acted like an ass in front of Congress, and is now just hoping people will forget the past. Big deal. As far as I'm concerned, Maris is still the real home run king.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am only surprised that he came out and admitted it finally.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it wasnt against the rules back then

19. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

True. But it was illegal.

20. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is what I thought....

Was all of it illegal? Steroids I can see but what about the other stuff?

21. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Generally speaking, I'd think that it's a fair bet that abusing that almost any PED under the sun is illegal--after all, can you name many drugs that aren't illegal to abuse? With that said, I haven't bothered to look into it.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

McGwire never lied; he pled the fifth. Not the same thing as lying, IIRC, he never denied he took them.

23. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Agreed. He did not lie. Bonds on the other hand....

Even though Mcguire admitted the steriod use, he didn't really own up. According to him, the only reason he juiced was to recover from his many injuries. BS!

No one hits 70 or more homers without juicing! Unfortunately, so many players juiced, along with hgh, that most players of his era are suspect.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This era of sports is perhaps the dirtiest ever*

*in regards to PED, otherwise sports has always been a disgusting business.

25. oogieboogiex macrumors newbie

he gets no points from me for finally admitting anything...

he self-servingly took steroids while he played
    he self-servingly plead the fifth when asked directly
    he self-servingly makes a very tearful, contrite admission now because it behooves him to tell the story and not be a distraction at spring training, and possibly to open the door to being voted into the HOF... only the admission is somewhat qualified, because it carries a lot of "well, I did for a period of time, while I recovered... then I didn't, then I got hurt again, and I did it again, and oh the pain of having to explain it to my son and blah frickin blah"...

baseball itself is to blame, because even after other sports started looking into dealing with these issues, they turned a blind eye... serves them right that after the strike, baseball was saved by a home run derby fueled by vitamin S...