Mark Zuckerberg Plans to Make Facebook Messenger, Instagram Messaging, and WhatsApp Interoperable

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is planning to integrate three disparate messaging services -- Facebook Messenger, Instagram messaging, and WhatsApp -- into one "underlying messaging infrastructure" (via The New York Times).

[​IMG]
    Facebook Messenger

These services will continue to operate as their own standalone apps, but the company's work will make them interoperable with one another. This means that a Facebook user could send an encrypted message to someone who only has a WhatsApp account, and vice versa. The company is still in the early stages of the unification, with plans to be finished by the end of 2019 or early 2020.

According to sources familiar with the plans, Zuckerberg's idea is the newest effort to keep people within the Facebook ecosystem, and off of rival texting apps like iMessage.
    In an official statement, Facebook said it's "working on making more of our messaging products end-to-end encrypted and considering ways to make it easier to reach friends and family across networks," alluding to the upcoming change. As of now, WhatsApp is the only one of the three main Facebook messaging apps to support secure end-to-end encrypted text messages, which ensures that texts are only read by you and the person you send them to.

This also raises privacy concerns for Zuckerberg's plans, since it's unclear how an end-to-end encrypted app would integrate with apps like Facebook Messenger. To sign up for WhatsApp, only a phone number is needed, but in contrast personal identities are the central part of apps like Facebook and Instagram, including their messaging services.
    In the wake of last year's Cambridge Analytica scandal, internal sources state that Zuckerberg has renewed his focus on WhatsApp and Instagram as the main Facebook brand was hit hard with negativity. In September, Bloomberg reported that Instagram was expected to soon become "more tightly integrated" with Facebook, in the wake of Instagram co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger leaving Facebook.

WhatsApp founders Jan Koum and Brian Acton have also left Facebook for similar reasons. According to today's reports, employees are still clashing with Zuckerberg over the new shift in focus to WhatsApp and Instagram, with dozens of WhatsApp employees arguing with Zuckerberg over the upcoming messaging integration plan on internal message boards, as well as during a "contentious" staff meeting last month.

During this meeting, WhatsApp employees reportedly asked Zuckerberg why he was so focused on making the messaging services integration a priority for 2019. According to sources, his responses were "vague" and "meandering," and as a result several WhatsApp employees have left and more are planning to leave because of the plan.

Article Link: Mark Zuckerberg Plans to Make Facebook Messenger, Instagram Messaging, and WhatsApp Interoperable

2. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Only makes sense from their point of view. I however hope it sucks and that everyone switches to a more, let’s say, ethical company?

3. RickDEGH macrumors member

Data - diamonds for Zuckerberg!!
    Unfortunately, every group for Uni and work starts with WhatsApp.

4. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

This is going to release too much data to FaceBook - phone numbers from WhatsApp and Instagram.

The Big Brother just upped the game.

Should this topic be under the politics, etc. section?

5. cloudyo macrumors regular

They dont need the contents of the communication. They have the phonebooks of every whatsapp user. This gives them a clear picture of who knows who. The meta data they collect is just as valuable and a privacy concern imo.

6. mcl82 macrumors newbie

7. Vasilioskn macrumors 6502

Vasilioskn

8. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

I thought the EU only allowed FB to buy WhatsApp if they kept both separate and no data being shared between them?

9. WitneySi macrumors newbie

WitneySi

I’ve always tried to fight these attempts by data collecting companies such as Facebook, Google, Amazon etc but I worry in time (and sooner rather than later) I’ll be forced to surrender and admit defeat.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Right? I haven’t used Facebook since 2012.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

How about not 27 different apps to do the same thing?

12. now i see it macrumors 68040

13. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Like? iMessage is a non-starter till Apple opens it up to non-Apple systems.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2019 ---
    It's what a majority of the population use. As much as I love iMessage, there are those that don't want to fork over the cost for an Apple device. As such, I've relied on WhatsApp just as much as iMessage to communicate with people.

14. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

15. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

I wish:
    - USG would force FB to divest these apps.
    - Apple would make iMessage universally available.

16. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

Weren’t FaceBook employees caught reading private messenger conversations not to long ago?

17. adamjackson macrumors 68000

This is the most logical BUT if the feds every break up Facebook, this is going to suck.

18. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors 6502a

Romeo_Nightfall

19. timber macrumors 6502a

The EU Comission already fined Facebook (110 M€) for providing inaccurate information (lying in plain) regarding the linking of WhatsApp and Facebook accounts

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-1369_en.htm

I have some hope this will not go well for Facebook.

20. genovelle macrumors 6502a

They already have access to the information. They own both of the other companies. You don’t sell your soul then complain about how it’s being used.

21. tom.humphrey macrumors member

22. TonyC28 macrumors 68000

TonyC28

23. rictus007 macrumors regular

Agree!.... for now I will try to encouraging my friends and co-workers to use signal

24. tom.humphrey macrumors member

Why not use Telegram?

25. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Why would they possibly be up to no good? Remember there's also an option to upload your nudes so they can scan the metadata and make sure your private pictures aren't being shared anywhere.

How could that possibly go wrong or be suspicious in any way?