Maryland Amazon Prime Shoppers, we must pay taxes now. WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
hows that any different than other states that pays taxes on items purchased on amazon?

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Same thing happened in Florida about 6 months ago. Once they have a brick and mortar operation in your state you pay taxes.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
Join the crowd, it happened in Texas a while back. And you're right, I'd rather go to a local store where I can see the products first. Best Buy will match anyone now and I have never had a problem with returns.

Cojm

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
If you like giving money away to government, then do you

----------

Because it didn't happen before, genius. That's where the difference comes in
You clearly don't understand the purpose of sales tax, or tax to begin with. Living in freedom doesn't come free, and it may be an inconvenience to have to pay the same amount for the same item online and in store. I can assure you, that it could be much worse, this is the definition of a first world problem.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
You clearly don't understand the purpose of sales tax, or tax to begin with. Living in freedom doesn't come free, and it may be an inconvenience to have to pay the same amount for the same item online and in store. I can assure you, that it could be much worse, this is the definition of a first world problem.
I'm sorry mr. Tax expert, I don't understand taxes. Please give me a class

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Happened here in MA last year - initially it sucked, but I guess you get used to it. At least for us, if we need to buy big-ticket items, we can always drive to NH and get them tax free :cool:

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Exactly. Another example of supply and demand. There are states that offer 0% sales tax on everything. You need only move there to be eligible. So there must be some benefit, some value that makes staying in Maryland worth it. Now you're just paying for that value.

Cojm

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Happened here in MA last year - initially it sucked, but I guess you get used to it. At least for us, if we need to buy big-ticket items, we can always drive to NH and get them tax free :cool:
Yeah, Having NH right down the road is nice, but honestly I don't mind giving the state/country a few dollars, I know they need it to pay the soldiers...

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
It's really going to change how I utilize Amazon. I might have to use ebay more and cancel my prime membership.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm so pissed off. I rather now go to best buy and price match all my iPhone gear if its going to be the same price. The thing I hate about bestbuy is how they treat returns like you're trying to commit fruad when returning anything. Sad day in Amazon world.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...927_1_amazon-prime-sales-tax-online-retailers
This happened fairly recently in North Carolina. It is not as though no one saw this coming. In fact, this was coming and it was reported on frequently. North Carolina fought it, I believe, for a time. And news flash…you are actually supposed to notify the IRS each year of your un-taxed online purchases and pay the taxes at that point. Few, if any, ever did and that is why it has now been pushed out where you pay at point of sale.
If you like giving money away to government, then do you

----------

Because it didn't happen before, genius. That's where the difference comes in
Slow your roll there tiger. It is the same. It is simply that you weren't forced to pay taxes. This isn't Amazon's fault either so you can go throw your tantrum at Amazon, but it is not their fault at all.
Exactly this. At the very least everyone should understand the purpose of sales tax. I don't love taxes at all, but knowing the purpose is just information I think people should have.
I'm sorry mr. Tax expert, I don't understand taxes. Please give me a class
It is this kind of attitude that garners nothing but hostility against you. While your initial thread was merely started to bitch and moan that you're now required to pay taxes at point of sale while shopping at Amazon.com, you've now turned it into a **** show and you're embarrassing yourself.
I guess you couldn't come up with anything.. I'm going to H&R Block for my tax advice, thanks for trying.
Good luck with that. Most H&R tax associates are hired with no experience. They get a crash course in how to do taxes using the provided software, they have a book to refer to and having been personally involved with a former IRS Agent, I can tell you that taxes filed by H&R Block have often been riddled with errors resulting in either a more favorable refund or a fairly hefty adjustment in favor of the IRS. You're better off browsing YouTube if you seriously want to learn. I doubt you do because that isn't your motive here, clearly.
It's really going to change how I utilize Amazon. I might have to use ebay more and cancel my prime membership.
Good! Do that. Cancel your prime membership because the State is forcing you to pay state sales tax. Amazon won't be sorry to see you go, I'm sure.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
This happened fairly recently in North Carolina. It is not as though no one saw this coming. In fact, this was coming and it was reported on frequently. North Carolina fought it, I believe, for a time. And news flash…you are actually supposed to notify the IRS each year of your un-taxed online purchases and pay the taxes at that point. Few, if any, ever did and that is why it has now been pushed out where you pay at point of sale.

Slow your roll there tiger. It is the same. It is simply that you weren't forced to pay taxes. This isn't Amazon's fault either so you can go throw your tantrum at Amazon, but it is not their fault at all.

Exactly this. At the very least everyone should understand the purpose of sales tax. I don't love taxes at all, but knowing the purpose is just information I think people should have.

It is this kind of attitude that garners nothing but hostility against you. While your initial thread was merely started to bitch and moan that you're now required to pay taxes at point of sale while shopping at Amazon.com, you've now turned it into a **** show and you're embarrassing yourself.

Good luck with that. Most H&R tax associates are hired with no experience. They get a crash course in how to do taxes using the provided software, they have a book to refer to and having been personally involved with a former IRS Agent, I can tell you that taxes filed by H&R Block have often been riddled with errors resulting in either a more favorable refund or a fairly hefty adjustment in favor of the IRS. You're better off browsing YouTube if you seriously want to learn. I doubt you do because that isn't your motive here, clearly.

Good! Do that. Cancel your prime membership because the State is forcing you to pay state sales tax. Amazon won't be sorry to see you go, I'm sure.

The HR joke flew over your head. That's what happens when you bring false wisdom to a message board.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The HR joke flew over your head. That's what happens when you bring false wisdom to a message board.
Oh it didn't fly over my head. I agree that you brought false wisdom to this message board. Like I said, you're embarrassing yourself at this point. It is okay to debate taxes and all that jazz, but the way you've gone about this with your insulting and condescending attitude, is just inane. Sometimes it is best just to open up your blog and start ranting about this grinding your gears rather than starting a thread in an iPhone Accessory message board about state taxes. ;)

It will all be okay, I promise.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Oh it didn't fly over my head. I agree that you brought false wisdom to this message board. Like I said, you're embarrassing yourself at this point. It is okay to debate taxes and all that jazz, but the way you've gone about this with your insulting and condescending attitude, is just inane. Sometimes it is best just to open up your blog and start ranting about this grinding your gears rather than starting a thread in an iPhone Accessory message board about state taxes. ;)

It will all be okay, I promise.
Don't be mad bro, just don't respond to a message board post, cause you're obviously so advanced. And that H&R post did go over your head, it's ok, even the message board smart guys lose sometimes.

Cojm

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Don't be mad bro, just don't respond to a message board post, cause you're obviously so advanced. And that H&R post did go over your head, it's ok, even the message board smart guys lose sometimes.
Dude I am emotionally demolished over your words, my heart throbs and my eyes fill with tears.

My entire day has been ruined, my meals will taste like cardboard and my nightly TV shows will be mundane.

If only I had been more like how you want me to be, I am so sorry that I didn't conform to your perfect world, I agree, we should be up in arms over amazon trying to follow federal laws!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I wish I had half the outrage that you have in life. I think it is tough to have some random stranger tell you that you're embarrassing yourself. Even worse, I assume it is hard to go back and read your posts realizing that they are incredibly inane and embarrassing. It happens to the best of us, and the worst of us as you have exhibited. Take your false outrage and go post over at Amazon because in spite of me telling you it isn't Amazon's fault, I'm sure they're looking forward to your little tantrum.

Dude I am emotionally demolished over your words, my heart throbs and my eyes fill with tears.

My entire day has been ruined, my meals will taste like cardboard and my nightly TV shows will be mundane.

If only I had been more like how you want me to be, I am so sorry that I didn't conform to your perfect world, I agree, we should be up in arms over amazon trying to follow federal laws!
Dry your eyes sweetness. We'll get through this together. :D

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I wish I had half the outrage that you have in life. I think it is tough to have some random stranger tell you that you're embarrassing yourself. Even worse, I assume it is hard to go back and read your posts realizing that they are incredibly inane and embarrassing. It happens to the best of us, and the worst of us as you have exhibited. Take your false outrage and go post over at Amazon because in spite of me telling you it isn't Amazon's fault, I'm sure they're looking forward to your little tantrum.

Dry your eyes sweetness. We'll get through this together. :D

we will

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You weren't part of the "we" I referred to. But I appreciate you trying and the photo of the kleenex box. Clever.

Remember this response you handed another member? I think it is fitting…
I guess you couldn't come up with anything.. I'm going to H&R Block for my tax advice, thanks for trying.

How are the Amazon.com discussion boards treating you today?

vegastime

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Virginia
I live in Virginia and Amazon started charging sales tax not to long ago.

Been having everything shipped to my sister as she lives in Maryland. Guess I'll go back to having things shipped to me in VA.

Knightshade

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
I live in Virginia and Amazon started charging sales tax not to long ago.

Been having everything shipped to my sister as she lives in Maryland. Guess I'll go back to having things shipped to me in VA.

You realize you were legally required to pay tax on all that stuff the whole time, right?

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=ConsumersUseTax

The only thing new is amazon will be directly billing you instead of you having to pay it on your own to avoid breaking the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.