Massive freezing problems with Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Fontane, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

Mavericks truly sucks.

In addition to the problems with freezing when I wake from sleep, my laptop is now freezing at random points while in use.

I'm so tired of not being able to use sleep mode. I like to keep browsers and apps open so I can pick up where I left off from my previous session, not have to start all over again.

Come on, Apple. There are so many problems on this and other forums with this operating system freezing. Release a patch and fix it already. I just spent nearly $2000 for a new rMBP. They owe me (and the rest of us) more than this type of user experience.

2. realtwang macrumors member

realtwang

I had this issue initially, but resetting my SMC and my NVRAM cleared it up.

3. mingqing007 macrumors newbie

mingqing007

How to reset SMC on iMac:

Shut down the computer.
    Unplug the computer's power cord.
    Wait fifteen seconds.
    Attach the computer's power cord.
    Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

More about reset SMC here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

4. gobekli-tepe macrumors newbie

Same here

My is too freezing at random, 3 times since the Mavericks came out. It really is bad on a split new Macbook Air also. I'm wondering why it takes them so long to come out with some kind of fix!

It is not comfortable to work and know that your new computer and new OS may go black-screen on you!

5. skirmisser macrumors member

Have you tried SMC and NVRAM/PRAM reset?

6. gobekli-tepe macrumors newbie

That is to restart computer and hold down alt + cmd + p + r until the start up sound comes? And then re-configure somethings? That is what I got from looking it up on Apples support page. Is that correct then? One user above in the comments says it solved the problem for him =)

----------

Done it now and I hope this issue is history now... we'll see.

Thanks for the help

7. skirmisser macrumors member

Just follow the official instructions on Apple support pages. Not sure if it will work only after some days of use I can say for sure...

8. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I just experienced a hard freeze. Only a reboot could fix it. I hope 10.9.1 fixes this! :(

9. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Hrere is the only solution I have found that works

1. hold down the power button on your mac.
    2. Reset PRAM MULTIPLE TIMES during the restart your computer.
    a. hold the Command+Option+P+R keys immediately after your restart your computer. You will here the Apple startup chime. LET GO OF ALL THE KEYS
    b. Your computer will begin to restart again....again hold down the Command+Option+P+R keys immediately after your restart your computer. You will here the Apple startup chime. LET GO OF ALL THE KEYS again.(this is twice in a row you have reset PRAM),

c. Do ti all over again....three (3) times reset PRAM and then start your computer up.

This will take care if it ...but it may return. So you'll need to repeat the steps again.

Until Apple fixes Vista :eek: , er, ah, I mean, Mavericks, that is what you'll need to do.

Also resetting SMC may help, but not in my case...only multiple resets of PRAM.
    :cool:

10. gobekli-tepe macrumors newbie

They must fix it because they know about the problem and must be the serious company they are?! =)

So no hoping, they simply have to fix it. And write about it in the OS-update "text" so it's clear and written that it's fixed. Seems to be a big problem for many users out there.

;)

11. skirmisser macrumors member

Same for me. Upgraded my rMBP to 10.9 and got 2 freezes in 3 days.

Following SMC and NVRAM/PRAM reset, the system is up for almost 9 days now without any issue...

12. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

So no issue with scrolling PDFs in Preview? Here it freezes constantly and I have to press search to unfreeze it!

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not incurred any freezing issues on my 2009 Mac Mini or my 2012 rMBP.

14. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I'm using a Mac Pro (early 2009). When I installed Mavericks everything was fine. Suddenly like a week ago it froze right after the start up process (right after the dock appears). Then it got worse each day. Now it even freezes during the start up process.
    This never happened with any other version of OSX.
    I'm gonna try to reset PRAM and see if it fixes the issue.

15. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Ok, I tried to do the PRAM reset. But it didn't behave the way you would say it would do.
    I switched on my Mac Pro and then held the Command+Option+P+R keys immediately. I waited for the Apple startup chime but instead of the chime the computer restarted (at least it sounded like it, screen went black and the fans restarted) so I let go off the keys. Confusing.
    Well, to make matters worse, now the freeze issue is even worse. Now after each startup an even longer system freeze occures. First I switched off the Mac since I thought it wouldn't come out of the freeze by itself. During another try I waited for like 15 minutes and it eventually got out of the freeze. Beachballs occur when I try to load new websites (short freeze periods) now.
    Damn it, Mavericks...I don't know what to do now.

16. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

OK. lets try this:
    1. Reset SMC on your mac pro
    Shut down the computer.
    Unplug the computer's power cord.
    Wait fifteen seconds.
    Attach the computer's power cord.
    Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

2. Now do multiple resets of PRAM this way:

upon starting up the computer and hearing the chime, hold the Command+Option+P+R keys AND DON'T LET THEM GO. The system will automatically restart. STILL DON'T let GO and let it reset 3 times in a row, THEN let go of the keys and hopefully the computer starts up.
    Some systems, especially older ones need to have PRAM reset multiple times in a row. Not sure why, but others on this and other forums have experienced this.
    Now...
    If it still doesn't work, well, then a fresh install of the 10.9 is in order. Personally, if this continued to happen to me, I would restore and old version of LION.

I sincerely hope you have all of your important files backed up and you have original disks for any software you'll need to install on a fresh install.

Keep us posted.

17. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Thank you for your suggestions.

Ok, I did that.

First of all; in my previous attempts of resetting PRAM I wasn't able to hear the Apple chime because I wasn't aware that you can't hear the sound when external speakers are selected.
    I was able to reset PRAM twice. After the second reset there was the Apple chime again so I let go off the keys.
    The system freeze after start up seems to be gone now.
    However; I checked the program "Console" (somebody told me to use it yesterday) and it still showed 1 I/O error message:

I read that this error usually points to a faulty hard drive.
    Hmmm...

18. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Well, apparently that solution (PRAM reset) only worked for a short time.
    Right after the last start up, my Mac Pro froze again for like 30 seconds.
    Console displayed 3 error messages:

19. stevemiller macrumors 65816

My 2011 MacBook Pro has started freezing multiple times throughout the workday for me since upgrading to mavericks. I'm assuming I've already done the equivalent of an smc reset when I shut down and unplug when leaving for home? I'll try the pram thing and see if that helps.

20. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Well, I received around 40 "kernel: disk1s2: I/O" errors during and shortly after start up. So I think the freezing is not Mavericks related. I guess it's time for me to replace the hard drive?

21. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Six weeks into the OS 10.9 update and no freezing issues whatsoever on my 2013 Mini and 2009 Mac Pro. However I normally reset PRAM and repair permissions, etc., after an OS update to head off possible issues. The Macs sleep fine but FW drives won't spin down. I switched them to USB2 and they sleep fine albeit run slower. Hopefully 10.91 fixes the FW and other random bugs.

22. chgallup macrumors newbie

I have tried PRAM and SMC reset neither solved the issue.
    I used the TB adapter to an alternate monitor, did not work.
    The keyboard will not illuminate, and the screen is black.
    The laptop will accept a network connection, can see it on the network.

What did solve the issue is that when I left the Mac Book Air unplugged from power source (adapter), for about an hour, (i was trying to remote into it since it was responsive to network connection) It came back as if there was no issue.

Read the logs before sending to Mac, looks the sleep is stuck in a manner that drains the battery, but does not wake. After charging it to full i have a black screen again, so letting the battery run own to 50% again.

23. madrich, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

madrich macrumors regular

madrich

I had this problem too on my MBPro early 2008. It passed the Hardware test. I did SMC, PRAMm 3x, and Safe Booting. Nothing worked to clear the problem, so I went back to SnowLeopard with a clean install. I still had the same problem. My laptop was problem fee until I put Mavericks on it. I ended up taking it to the Apple genius who said the logic board needed to be replaced. I have been following this forum and others , it seems that in some cases Mavericks is incompatible with PC hardware and will adversely affect the logic board.

24. profchildermass macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I'm having the same problems. I reset my pram and smc yesterday, but just had a lockup. I have an Early 2008 MBP 17" and it's having an awful time with this.

25. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

To avoid the freezing I set my computer never to sleep, however after two days it shut itself down, then the problems came back again.