Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I am guessing that the Mavericks "nap" feature caused the freezing on my computer. It also seem to me that my problems became progressively worse over time with Mavericks. Therefore I reverted back to Snow Leopard, but my computer was never the same. Now it's in Cupertino getting surgery.

jca69

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Until Apple fixes Vista :eek: , er, ah, I mean, Mavericks, that is what you'll need to do.

You're absolutely right man, that's the feeling I have, that I "upgraded" to Vista when I installed Mavericks. Initally, it all went ok, but lately, like every other day, my MP freezes and I have to reset it.

And yesterday it got stuck with the apple initial screen after the chime, and that's it. Reinstalled it, what else now? This morning it froze again. Geez, no wonder it's free, it's just a beta or what?

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
first: i like what mavericks is supposed to be. the features and tweaks are all things that i feel are steps in the right direction.

BUT. saying something and delivering on something are two different things. and in my experience mavericks has been an endless clusterf***.

send an email, mail hangs trying to load the message i just sent. i restart mail and it immediately hangs again. tried to restart the computer. can't because mail is hanging. force quit mail. with mail ALREADY quit, i restart and uncheck the option to re-open running programs. computer restart and STILL re-opens all my running apps, including the mail app that i had FORCE QUIT before even attempting to restart.

thats just one example of the daily freezes and nonsense that started immediately after installing mavericks. and a note, i installed it fresh, no upgrade, no restore from backup. i've done the SMC / PRAM stuff and its done nothing to help the situation.

maybe 10.9.1 will improve the situation, and i'm sure there are smug people who will say "you shouldn't expect a stable product until at least 10.9.x". it doesn't change the fact that its disappointing that apple lets something this buggy out the door.

illusionmist

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2013
On my Hackintosh build, Safari causes the entire system to freeze up (only cursor can still move around; music continues playing until that song finishes then dies).

Every other browser doesn't cause this, and nothing special shows up in Console. Kinda frustrating since I'm really loving Safari 7 and use it on my MacBook.

Just curious if you guys happen to be using Safari as well... Might be the problem.

profchildermass

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
On my Hackintosh build, Safari causes the entire system to freeze up (only cursor can still move around; music continues playing until that song finishes then dies).

Every other browser doesn't cause this, and nothing special shows up in Console. Kinda frustrating since I'm really loving Safari 7 and use it on my MacBook.

Just curious if you guys happen to be using Safari as well... Might be the problem.

I switched to Chrome and the problems have decreased, but not went fully away. I haven't tried to go back to Safari after the recent update.

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I upgraded my Mac from Mountain Lion (10.8.4) to Mavericks and also experienced many freezes. I then did a clean install, but that didn't help. Just a few days ago, I found out that Sophos AV was the culprit. I promptly uninstalled Sophos, and my Mac's been running very smoothly ever since .

Last edited:

profchildermass

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
I upgraded my Mac from Mountain Lion (10.8.4) to Mavericks and have also experienced many freezes. I then did a clean install, but that didn't help. Just a few days ago, I found out that Sophos AV was the culprit. After uninstalling Sophos my Mac's been running very smoothly.

I have a clean install as well. Unfortunately, I'm not running an AV.

I don't have much on here, apart from Chrome, Word and smsfancontrol

profchildermass

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
For what it is worth, I seemed to have solved the problem.

In addition to freezing, I was having significant wifi issues.

I bought a refurbished Airport Extreme Card off eBay and installed it on the 2nd of January. I have had no further issues.

mvpgraff

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
Ugh... this is so annoying. I've already tried pretty much what everyone has suggested and my mac is still freezing at least once a week.

Using Mavericks 10.9.2 - This iMac was bought in January of 2014... You would think this issue would have been fixed by now.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
dunno, i have $2800 early '13 15"and it hard froze the other day (have had other freezes, mostly black screen on reboot when in clamshell, maybe some other freezes within Mavericks but had been awhile) So I ran an apple hardware test out of curiosity and it detected an error

4hdd/11/400000000:SATA(0,0)

I decided to do an internet recovery and so I could fully format the drive, recovery partition and all, and then reran apple hardware test and the error was gone, including a follow up extended test.... seems like a false positive, maybe something got screwed up when I removed a bootcamp partition with the bootcamp assistant... have used laptop heavily without any freezes last few days... decided not to install some software like hands off! as i thought it could be a potential culprit...

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I upgraded my Mac from Mountain Lion (10.8.4) to Mavericks and also experienced many freezes. I then did a clean install, but that didn't help. Just a few days ago, I found out that Sophos AV was the culprit.
My Mac's been running very smoothly ever since I removed it.

You ran an av application on a Mac in the first place? Ouch......

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Another freeze, called up applecare, they're dumb as nails... told them about Apple Hardware Test SATA error and they said it doesn't necessarily mean a problem w/ the SSD or SATA cable, as I suggested, but they also said it doesn't look like an operating system error either because Disk Utility passed 'Verify Disk'... Well I haven't installed any third party software since formatting to find out, so please tell me wtf it is.... Then he told me to boot into safe mode and once I'm in there he's like open up a bunch of apps and see if it will freeze.... :rolleyes: Ignore the fact that it only happens once a week, it's not gonna happen on the effin' phone in a few minutes, and I'm not going to use my machine in safe mode w/o graphics acceleration until it does....

When it froze, thinking this time I was streaming a song to speakers connected to airport express.. last console message was related to core audio.... who knows, not happy about this AHT error being back, which I had once before last week but vanished after I decided to format...... Also noteworthy I used this machine primarily in windows for last 6mo working w/ a windows DAW and had zero issues, but have had nothing but issues since switching back to Mavericks after getting a proper windows desktop running....

I guess I will take to Apple Store, not optimistic...would love to sell this $2800 + 350 applecare PoS but couldn't do it in good conscience....

It also woke up to black screen this morning (never sure it went to sleep cuz the stupid thing has no led indicator for sleep) - had to hold down power button for 4 seconds to hard power off it and then power it back up...

mvpgraff

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
You know what's stupid about this? All the crashes that keep happening on a three month old iMac.... I never had this issue with a 1 year old Mountain Lion, where it was running 4GB. Currently, I'm running 8GB and still using the same amount of programs (adobe PS, Coda, FireFox, Chrome & Terminal) and yet, it's running up to 8GB Memory Used, 10GB Virtual Memory and I'm starting to dip into the swap used.... Then I get frozen at least twice a week where I have to hard power my iMac.

My question is, if I were to turn off the compression, will it even do any changes? This has been the worst iMac I have purchased and I've been using iMacs for quite a number of years.

It seems to me that the culprit is the ram. Some how, I'm over using it and crashing my computer.

profchildermass

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
Maybe it is your RAM, I am not sure.

I had constant freezing in Mavericks. Constant, it really sucked.

I replaced my wifi card and it no longer freezes. I'm been freeze free since I replaced it in early January. So, perhaps there's some hardware issue causing difficulty?

RustyRelic

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
I'm aware that this is a rather old post, but so am I.
Let's see if I can actually help some people here.
All this resetting of the SMC or PRAM solved nothing for me. I started having freezing problems with my early 2008 iMac after I upgraded to Mountain Lion (I think, is has been a couple years).

I found that the problem was with the graphics drivers, or .kext files. See this blog. http://www.pauloamgomes.net/blog/fix-weird-os-x-freeze-imacs-late-2009
What solved my problem was replacing the AMD graphics .kext files with the older ATI drivers from Snow Leopard. Mr. Gomes has hit my problem right on the nail. (And the most credit has to go to Mr. Krysztof Turek who found my solution and has kindly provided the fix originally.)
No freezing. Unfortunately, the AMD .kext files burnt up my graphics card before I found the solution to the problem. I replaced the card and installed the ATI drivers before things heated up again and I was good to go.
Now here is the real interesting problem. Even though this has been known by Apple, for what 2 years now, EVERY TIME there is an software security fix, the malfunctioning AMD drivers are re-installed and I have to again go through this whole mess.
I ask, why would a "Security Update" need to install the AMD drivers that have a KNOWN issue with ATI graphics cards?
I know it sounds paranoid but, I think Apple is trying to sell me a new iMac.

RustyRelic

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
And here's another strange occurrence. Often when I would try to burn a cd or dvd in the Super-Drive, it wouldn't recognize the disc and spit it back out.
The "Strange Thing"? If I started a Parallels vm like Windows 7, the Super-Drive would work fine.
Hmmm, Mac drivers no good, Windows 7 Parallels drivers OK!
You think that Apple is doing this on purpose and somehow could get away with it? That just sounds CRAZY, right?

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
And here's another strange occurrence. Often when I would try to burn a cd or dvd in the Super-Drive, it wouldn't recognize the disc and spit it back out.
The "Strange Thing"? If I started a Parallels vm like Windows 7, the Super-Drive would work fine.
Hmmm, Mac drivers no good, Windows 7 Parallels drivers OK!
You think that Apple is doing this on purpose and somehow could get away with it? That just sounds CRAZY, right?

I hope you are weiting detailed bug reports to Apple at www.apple.com/feedback... otherwise they'll never know and can't fix it.

RustyRelic

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
I hope you are weiting detailed bug reports to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback... otherwise they'll never know and can't fix it.

Believe me, you have NO idea how many "detailed bug reports" I have "weited" (?) to Apple.
Almost every time I've had to do a hard restart with the power button, a detailed crash report has been sent to Apple.
And also believe me when I say that they (Apple) know about these issues, because I'm not the only one having them.

Very Old Chap

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
brand new Mac Mini crashing with screensaver password

I got this new Mac Mini last month so it is running Mavericks. It has 1 TB memory and 16 GB RAM. Screensaver was on today, I typed in my password, and it froze up. Specifically the screensaver stopped moving around, and the window for typing a password disappeared. The mouse cursor was still moveable but there was nothing to click on. I had to press the power button to shut down and again to turn on the computer. I notice somebody posted that they thought Safari might be causing similar problems. I did indeed have Safari running at the time, as well as several other programs. Is Safari really a problem and should I be careful not to have Safari running when I put my computer into screen saver?

RustyRelic

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
I got this new Mac Mini last month so it is running Mavericks. It has 1 TB memory and 16 GB RAM. Screensaver was on today, I typed in my password, and it froze up. Specifically the screensaver stopped moving around, and the window for typing a password disappeared. The mouse cursor was still moveable but there was nothing to click on. I had to press the power button to shut down and again to turn on the computer. I notice somebody posted that they thought Safari might be causing similar problems. I did indeed have Safari running at the time, as well as several other programs. Is Safari really a problem and should I be careful not to have Safari running when I put my computer into screen saver?
I don't know what to tell you "Old Chap". There shouldn't be any problems running Safari and the screen saver. I've just got a new Mac Mini myself and I'm using a 46" Samsung flat screen tv as the monitor. I prefer FireFox as a browser, but occasionally I use Safari too. Many times the screen saver has started and after an hour the monitor will sleep. Move my mouse a little and everything starts back up.
First thing I had to do was add ram to bring it up to 16 GB. Suppose you could say that I'm using it as a Media Center.
To also add to the mix, the Mini is routed through a Onkyo stereo receiver that switches the tv between a PC laptop, the Mac Mini, an Amazon Fire TV and a Chrome Cast dongle. I'm using my wireless to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime to it. I also run Windows 7 with Parallels for Mac.
You would think that if anyone was going to have a problem, it would be me, but everything has been working perfectly! I haven't had any problems with freezing.
If I were you, I would erase the hard drive and install Mavericks again. Do all the updates, and if that didn't solve the problem and since it's a new Mini, I would go to an Apple store and see if they could help.
I had to return a new Mac Pro laptop years ago when they first came out and after 4 or 5 trips to the repair shop, it was still acting wonky. I told them (Apple) that I couldn't trust it anymore and they gave me a new computer.
Good luck and I hope you find an answer to your problem. Wish I could have helped more.

----------

I forgot. A lot of these freezes people are having with older Macs that ran fine with Snow Leopard and Lion are due to the faulty .kext files for the Ati graphics card. Instead of the original ATI .kext files that came with the computer, Apple is constantly updating them with AMD .kext files and it's causing problems with freezing.
Since I replaced the new files with the older ones, I haven't had ANY problems with freezing on my early 2008 iMac running Mavericks.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
No problems here whatsoever.
Though, sometimes there's a 1.5 second delay before the screen turns on after sleeping for a long time. Otherwise, it's usually instant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.