match.com experiences?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by princealfie, Oct 25, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

anyone have experiences on this particular website?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I got burned.... zing!

lame humor I know -- matches... fire... burning... wooo!

3. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Oh, but I want to have a little more details... has anyone actually found their love on this thingey?

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

5. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Who ever made it must be a genius, apparently it is the first dating site ever.

6. Queso macrumors G4

More people have found their long time partner on MR than Match haven't they? :D

7. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Well in the UK, Match.com are offering 6 months free subscription if you don't find true love in 6 months :eek:

is that a sign of their success rate then :rolleyes:

[but i do know my brothers just signed up :( which is a suprise, as he isn't yet divorced from his Italian wife who was lovely, gorgeous and fun, some people don't know when they are extremely lucky :mad:]

but if you can't find love, buy a new Mac ;)

8. luckyloo53 macrumors newbie

Used (and abused?)

I have used the Match.com service several times. Have met a few people but not "THE ONE".

I found it interesting that each time I chose to discontinue my membership, I got "winks" at the last minute. The thing is that none of the members that winked at me had visited my profile.

If you have used Match at all, you know that a member can see who has looked at their personal profile. Not one of the winks I got came from someone who had viewed me. I find that difficult to understand.

Regardless, I did not find the service worth the money spent for the subscription. There are many free services out there that can do the same thing for you.

9. foidulus macrumors 6502a

According to 'kipedia

they have partnered with Dr. Phil. On the basis of that alone I would be a bit wary of them....

10. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

No luck there. Finnally had to give up on the idea of ever dating again. :(

11. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I've been on it for about 9 months now I suppose. Signed up for the special "if you don't find love in 6 months you get 6 months free" deal. Went on a couple dates the first few months, but it never turned into anything at all. Then went months with nothing, thus putting into the "free" extended period. At that time, Match decided that somehow Dallas (my location) is within my designated 20 mile radius of San Antonio (5 hours away) and put forth the profile of a guy who turned out to be pretty much the exact type person I've been looking for.

Let me again stress - 5 hours away. Thank you Match for your genius algorithms which miscalculated and thereby tricked me into e-mailing someone who I assumed was within my area, but instead is not. Grr. *deep breath* I'm going down to San Antonio to meet him in a couple weeks just to see what's what. Long distance isn't my ideal relationship after having waited about 6 years to find "the one", but there's no reason not to at least try it.

In summary - I have been displeased with Match. The end.

12. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

That's a pretty bogus deal. Read the fine print. I did out of curiousity and there are basically 5,000 different scenarios that 'prove' they introduced you to your true love and you screwed it up, so they don't owe you 6 months.

Obviously I'm paraphrasing.

13. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Actually there are 3 requirements. I know, because I'm in the 6 months free period now. Now let's see if I can remember them off the top of my head (since the site is blocked from work)...

1) Send at least 5 e-mails to different people each month; meaning you can't e-mail the same person 5 times, you must e-mail 5 individuals
    2) You must have a picture at all times
    3) You must not mark your profile as invisible (meaning you can't hide it because you're in a relationship and no longer looking to meet somone)

The only one I'm not sure of is the second one, but I believe it's right. I know the first and third are. It's really not too much to ask in my opinion. I just wasn't happy with the type of people on the site.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

My father has tried all kinds of dating services and still epic failed to find anyone, I would not recommend such services, it's better just to make an effort to be more social.

Personally I found my true love through IRC, though I have certain tastes that most people do not share.

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

Well THAT just piques one's curiosity :)

FWIW I met my wife through (But not 'on') Match.com. Works for me!

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Match.com

Like many online dating systems are to put it bluntly "Sausage Fests"

Meaning they appear to have a lot of women but in relation to the men who are on the site you often find 2:1 or 3:1 Male/Female ratios.

This means that for every woman you like there are likely 4-5 new guys clamoring for her attention. Hence the dissatisfaction.

I did meet my ex of 3yrs on Match.com but I tell you the frustration level is high. Online dating tends to cultivate this phenomenon where people get "analyis paralysis" . Since it's easy to click on yet another "smiling pic and gleaming bio" people rarely commit to finding out about the uniqueness in people.

A majority of what you're attracted to is a persons non-verbal communication. You may think a woman/man is HOT but in a date if their eyes are constantly staring at the room or whatever and not you or if they have some other strange idiosyncrasies you quickly realize that other than a picture you're still flying blind with quasi blind date.

I'd rather meet my next woman in person where I can see her verbal and non-verbal communication skills and not have to face the dissappointment of the Quasi Blind date.

Nuk

17. BigBalla macrumors newbie

If they are hot and you get lucky then its worth it even if there isnt much of an attraction.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Hey guys need every avenue to meet women and have fun. Screw Match or eHarmony. They're for cabin dwellers that can't get out.

Go with free stuff like Myspace and Facebook and get out and have some fun. Hot women aren't sitting at home in front of their computer on the weekends they are out having fun with their friends.

If I walked into a club and saw 3 guys for every gal I'd be outta there fast. And trust me ..even on match you ARE competing with those odds. Hell you may as well move to Alaska if you want to tilt the favor in her direction that much.

Women LOVE to compete. Match.com doesn't allow that naturally competitive nature to come into play. Who gets noticed more ...the guy socializing laughing and smiling or the wall flower holding up the wall?

19. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I've yet to try an online dating site, but if I did, I imagine I'd have better luck using something small & regional, like a local independent newspaper that maybe applies to a certain niche or market.

There's also no 'formula' to meeting your mate, so I find it hard to believe that some mega-million dollar company's server farm can match me with the proverbial 'true love'. Matter of fact - it'll more than likely eliminate her from my search.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

How many people are telling the truth anyways. I've dated some certifiable "crazy" women but they'd never tell you "I'm a crazy jealous and violent woman" in their bio. You read the same crap "I'm looking for a nice guy ..blah blah blah"

There are millions of "nice guys" roaming around looking for a date. Nice has little to do with initial attraction. The best I ever did is when I was like in the "I don't want to be tied down ..just want to have fun" phase in my life. The minute I got the duped into the whole "settle down and focus on the relationship" is when I found the problems come in.

Don't be fooled...women are tough. They take you and they wear you down with patience and dilligence. First it's "don't stay out so late and call me" then it's "you hang out with your friends too much "

3 years later you're Al Bundy sitting on the coach waiting for your next issue of Bigguns.

21. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

This is true in a lot of ways. I chose Match simply because I'm gay. I personally just find it harder to meet other gay men with the same interests as me by just "going out" simply because the only places you can be sure to strictly meet gay men are clubs and so forth which I have no interest in, and the kind of guy I want to meet won't be interested in either. Kinda hard to just go into a bookstore and approach a handsome guy reading a book you've already read unless you're okay with running the risk of your @$$ kicked in public. It happens. I just choose to take the "easier" way out I suppose. *shrug*

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Good point. That bring in a whole 'nother dynamic as you don't have the gender warfare. I'm sure though that it brings in other issues that many of us have not a clue.

Dating needs to be more aligned along interests rather than some psuedo-scientific "matching" system that continually matches me up with woman who are CLEARY not for me.

Now if you match people along common interests you stand a better chance of finding mutal interest.

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I would recommend anyone getting into dating and need a few tips to read David DeAngelo's Double Your Dating information. He has some great tips just by reading his free stuff.

jon

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I found mine in the Apple Store, im typing this on it right now :D

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I met the missus on an internet dating site. Just saying, like.