Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/25/matebook-x-pro-huawei-laptop-apple-macbook-pro

This is embarrassing, Apple. The MBP used to be the flagship product for Apple yet now we have a lot of Chinese companies outflanking Apple. The rise of the iPhone could be bad for Apple in the computer arena as Microsoft has polished Windows 10 on the PC to such an extent that the macOS premium is pretty much up. This is going to be such a defining year for the Mac that Apple can't afford another Touch Bar debacle.

I should add that Huawei is the Chinese equivalent of Verizon.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
In my opinion MacOS far more reliable. Every windows laptop I have ever used has let me down in one way or another. While my MacBooks haven't been perfect, they are certainly better (in my opinion).

In my opinion that used to be the norm, but with dongle life and the scissor-keyboard issues, my confidence is eroding.

Reactions: c0ppo and Natzoo

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I wonder if the popup webcam in the keyboard will provide that nice "up your nose" view for the person on the other end of the line, like the XPS does?

Does macOS offer any utility over Windows 10?

That is a rather long debate, but control is a big factor. For as nice as Windows 10 has gotten, "Windows as a Service" has its pitfalls. The emergency Scepter/Meltdown patches bricking some machines was one of them. It's a tough job MS has supporting such diverse hardware, and it's often up to the user. Our last Windows 10 machine was a Lenovo laptop that had an issue where it refused to connect to wifi after resuming from sleep. I managed to fix it by fiddling in Device Manager, but based on the reviews of the product, few others did the same, as the device was reviewed poorly and then pulled from the market. So we have a machine that is likely very poorly supported by Lenovo. It still occasionally is slow to connect to wifi, but it's livable.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/25/matebook-x-pro-huawei-laptop-apple-macbook-pro

This is embarrassing, Apple. The MBP used to be the flagship product for Apple yet now we have a lot of Chinese companies outflanking Apple. The rise of the iPhone could be bad for Apple in the computer arena as Microsoft has polished Windows 10 on the PC to such an extent that the macOS premium is pretty much up. This is going to be such a defining year for the Mac that Apple can't afford another Touch Bar debacle.

I should add that Huawei is the Chinese equivalent of Verizon.

If only Apple let other companies use its OS
[doublepost=1519617234][/doublepost]
"spill proof keyboard"! Are you listening Apple.
I would honestly settle for normal keyboards, cant set the expectation too high for Apple, it might become a $1000 extra option that is not covered by apple care if a spill passes through.

Reactions: gobikerider

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
In my opinion MacOS far more reliable. Every windows laptop I have ever used has let me down in one way or another. While my MacBooks haven't been perfect, they are certainly better (in my opinion).

When was the last time you used a windows machine and what version of the OS were you running?

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
The MBP used to be the flagship product for Apple

Really?

When was this?

As to the article, this just goes to show you how Apple is totally and absolutely price-gouging us folks who buy their machines.
If Huawei can do this AND still make profit then Apple surely should be able to.

Apple talking about quality this and that but in fact you can get a much more reliable machine for 1200 bucks if you get a Thinkpad AND it has one of the best keyboards in the business AND it works.
Plus you get the awesome pencil mouse too. Bet Apple would throw in another 500 just for that option alone....lol

Last edited:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The dongle situation is so overblown. Everything will be USB-C soon enough and these comments will look ridiculous.

Move on, good grief.

People have been saying that for a year and a half. Most stuff is still USB-A, even from Apple. The same people tell us that 3-year old devices are "old" and need to be replaced...

Wouldn't hurt to have put some ports people use on there. It's not like they wouldn't fit.

Reactions: c0ppo

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Is it just me or is that name ridiculous? It sounds like a dating app.

Nice screen though!

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
In my opinion that used to be the norm, but with dongle life and the scissor-keyboard issues, my confidence is eroding.

I have no dongles and my keyboard has been perfect.
[doublepost=1519650880][/doublepost]
When was the last time you used a windows machine and what version of the OS were you running?

I use a Windows machine every day I'm in my corporate office (Dell laptop). Running Windows 10 (which I hate). When I work from home (most of the week), I use a 15" MacBook pro. No comparison.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Dayum thats one sweet looking machine!
But it only ships with one sticker. How are buyers supposed to know it's a good machine if it only has one sticker!?
[doublepost=1519651093][/doublepost]
Does macOS offer any utility over Windows 10?
There are scores of threads about this, but here are a few of my peeves about Windows (let me know if they've been fixed):
- Can't rename a file or folder while it's in use
- Moving a file breaks all shortcuts
- I like Mission Control and Spaces better than Windows equivalents
- Windows can't scroll a background window
- Window's pdf capabilities pale compared to Mac
- System files have cryptic names
- The registry!

Reactions: Glmnet1

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
+1 I get furious inside when using Windows because of that!
Yes. It's those little things that irritate me to no end. Another one--when I print something, I don't need a popup to tell me that the document was sent to the printer. Duh!

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
+1 I get furious inside when using Windows because of that!
Windows 10 attempts to address that. Under Mouse settings, there’s a radio for “Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them.” Which brings me to another issue—because Windows 10 is built around touch support, most UI elements are oversized and wasteful of screen space. The new Control Panel is great (bad?) example of this. It’s still functional, but it just doesn’t seem ideal. It shows the compromise of bringing touch support to the traditional mouse and keyboard environment.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
The new Control Panel is great (bad?) example of this. It’s still functional, but it just doesn’t seem ideal. It shows the compromise of bringing touch support to the traditional mouse and keyboard environment.
IMO even the "old" control panel wasn't really well designed. And the fact that it's still there along with the new one shows how bad the new one is. To me, as soon as you start digging a little in Windows 10, it feels like they still didn't quite finish so they had to use parts of Windows 7 in there, without any redesign to match the style/functionality of Win10.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

Queen6

macrumors G4
I bought the 1st Gen MateBook x and it's proved to be a great notebook, with zero issues. What impressed me was the MateBook X was Huawei's first attempt at a clamshell notebook, build quality is excellent in comparison to my rMB there is very little to be critical about. The OS is totally subjective for my usage/workflow windows 10 is 100% stable, while I'm luck to see much more than 4/5 days before macOS becomes unstable requiring the system to be rebooted.

Said before and I stand by it the likes of Huawei will showing Apple a "clean set of heels" if not now, the very near future. Apple is just trading on yesteryear's glory in some respects and very much lacking a cohesive direction for the Mac.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.