Matt or Glossy - Advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zedLondon, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zedLondon macrumors member

I'm finally replacing my old trusty iBook G3 (Yes you read that right) with a macbook pro when the new ones are released.

Now currently my iBook is used mostly for web browsing, and a bit of coding, working on docs etc.

I use my iMac for most of the heavy lifting.

Now with the macbook pro, I'd like to sort more of my photos (i take pics in RAW) and maybe run my website from it. As well as browsing, more intensive coding. In essence it'll become my main computer.

After all that the question i have is matt or glossy?

I've seen both, the glossy looks brighter and more saturated. It looks more attractive, but i'm wondering how the more saturated colours affects you when correcting photos etc (it's all amateur, nothing professional!)

Also for those of you with glossy screens, when you get the machine into teh wild, what's the glare on the screen like? Which is more useable, matt or glossy?

I'm particularly interested in hearing your real life experiences with the two types of screens.

Thanks

Zed

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

not again...

there is a search function you know, and there are plenty of threads on this...

vSpacken

3. omfintrepid macrumors newbie

Or you could just reply to a genuine question with a courteous response. Remember this is a forum, a place of discussion... not a FAQ.

If People kept simply searching it would leave us with a collection of stale threads and responses, as well as making half the forum redundant.. so give the person a break.

In response to the question, I prefer glossy due to the more saturated and vivid colours and I have only ever had a problem with it in intense sunlight outdoors.. and to be honest I doubt even a matte screen would have fared much better.

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i have a matte and love it, but since i use my mbp inside all of the time and really have no reflections to worry about i'm sure i would be equally happy with the glossy. if you can, go to an apple store and play with both to figure out which one you like.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

6. zedLondon thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, i'm quite new here, and not posted on the site much. Don't know what has and hasn't been discussed to death. Didn't see a thread on the front page.

That doesn't return anything, am i missing something?

7. zedLondon thread starter macrumors member

I have done, and I do like the glossy for everyday type work. That's why i was looking specifically for any experience people had with them in the wild as well as anything from amateur photographers. How bad is the colour distortion with regard to sorting out your pics for putting on the web? (I hardly ever print my pics out)

8. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Every time I see a glossy screen in an environment that isn't dark, I feel like gouging my eyes out, and I can't understand how people can stand the reflections and glare.

It's really personal preference.

9. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

matte = WIN.

if you can get to an apple store to try them out (oxford street) you can then choose!

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Glossy - I've got a MBP and an iMac, both glossy. I've also had matte - an iBook. Glossy is better, and no, the reflections will not burn your retinas.

11. str1f3 macrumors 68000

if you're using RAW, then get the matte display. there is too much saturation in the glossy display to do proper photo editing, especially with color. if you plan on printing your pics, it will be a problem. the color is always off. the glossy is nice but the reflection is annoying. you will notice the reflection if you use it outside or if there is a bright light source near you. as for usability, i would again give the matte the nod. if you write a lot the glossy will put more of a strain on your eyes (sometimes having to look through a reflection).

best advice: glossy-movies +video games
    matte-extended use, photo +video editing

12. 173080 macrumors 6502

The glare of the glossy screen on my Macbook Air gave me headaches after a couple of hours of use. The matte screen on my MBP is much, much better and easier to read.

13. ZballZ macrumors regular

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I guess it's a matter of preference. I had a matte MBP and had repeat problems and finally was offered an exchange. They only had a glossy in-stock so I got while the gottin' was good and they changed their mind. I was surprised by how much I like it. The pro's and con's have been documented to no end but I now prefer the glossy on the MBP.

15. King t. macrumors regular

16. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

This. Does. Not. Help. Qualify that for ****'s sake. If there's anything more annoying than the constant Matte vs Glossy threads, it's the people that say GET MATTE and GET GLOSSY with absolutely no reasoning behind it.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may not be aware that this question, like many others, has already been discussed quite a bit. Chances are good that your answers lie in existing threads, which you can find by searching the forums. MacRumors Guides are also a great resource for common questions. If you don't find your answer there, let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

Here are some examples of the dozens of threads on this subject, filled with opinions and recommendations:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=matte+glossy+site:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&meta=

18. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

MBP's Glossy Screen is quite stunning and is not as bad as many of you may have thought. I'd say go glossy if you're not a pro photographer requiring high accuracy of colour appearance.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Matte for this kid all the way.

Glossy screens cause me headaches after about 20-30 minutes of use. Dislike the glare and reflections caused by glossy screens. Never will get one by choice.

The difference for me is dramatic enough that I would pay extra for a matte screen over glossy.

20. zedLondon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys

I've been to the apple store and played with both, but the conditions in there are probably where glossy looks it's best. So I'm still uncertain.

I don't do pro Photography, but do make colour corrections, though i hardly ever print my pics (just put them up on my site)

I guess i'll just have to keep trying them out. I'll probably end up making the desision at the last min

anyway thanks

21. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Matte for me. I have no idea how much brighter a Glossy might be but if you're not comparing them side by side I'd say you'd never miss what you didn't have. What you definitely won't have is glare and the matte screen seems fine to me in terms of brightness, color, etc.

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Hmmmm. Interesting. I always thought the stores gave just the opposite conditions. It seems the glare to see the glossy screens is increased due to the display height and the associated angle needed to get a good view.

23. ZballZ macrumors regular

For me, its honestly quite simple:

- has anyone EVER complained about the MATTE screen? NO.

- has anyone ever complained about the GLOSSY screen? YES!

There could be benefits - sure. Question is, do you want to risc not liking it? Be safe, go MATTE!

24. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.