Matte finish for new MacBooks in future?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by milani, Oct 20, 2008.

1. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm sorry if this comes off as idiotic or whatever. I'm just about ready to drop the hammer and buy a MacBook, but I'm wondering - is there any chance there will ever be a matte option for the new MacBooks? I realize the full glass screen kind of suggests there won't be, but if such an option comes out in the near future I'll really be kicking myself. Again, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question - for whatever reason - and if so please just say so and then let it die, but I'm pretty concerned about the glossy screens because I like to work near windows and stuff, and if it's as glossy as some of the Dell notebooks I've used in the past it just won't work at all for me. So my question again: what are the odds that Apple will release a matte version of the new MacBook in the near future?

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

My money is on them coming back, but probably not in 2009.

3. marvel2 macrumors 6502

They made a big deal about glass being incorporated in the new design. I don't think a matte finish will come any time soon.

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It was probably a cost cutting decision that would have messed with their margins. If it ever comes back, it'll be a luxury upgrade.

5. bektravels macrumors regular

I agree, looks like gloss is the way it's headed.

I'd still prefer matt over gloss any day tho' :(

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

unless they lose the glass, I don't see a matte option unfortunately.

7. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

i was worried about the screen being to reflective and watching all those youtube vids showing that. But i am using mine now and i havent seen my reflection yet. It really is a great and perfect laptop it is amazing that is all i can say. and this back lite keyboard... DEF worth it, i has been on this whole day, it just looks amazing!

8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

No chance now that glass is in. Steve can be very stubborn on things like this....

ShadoW

9. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

Too bad, that's kind of what I figured. I always thought matte was the way to go, and I'm kind of surprised Apple went the opposite way. Well I guess I'll just have to go check out some models and hopefully it's not too bad.

10. GadgetCollector macrumors newbie

11. jdwingnut macrumors regular

12. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

This is from the Q & A after the keynote last week:

11:01AM

Q: Concern about the glossy screens. Are you going to offer another option?

A: Steve: We're going all glass -- we won't offer another version.
    Phil: You offset the reflection by the brightness, and consumers love it. One of the great things about a notebook is you can turn it however you want!

13. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

With spin like that, who needs politicians? :rolleyes:

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

It could be a High Def 15" screen option. And maybe the 17"s will get the option straight up when they appear.

15. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

McCain should hire him. Phil can be the new Karl Rove.

16. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

From a design point, I believe that the glass is used to give a finish to the screen to make it more attractive.

Basically they can use shi... I mean cheaper screens and polish them up to look nicer with the aid of some glass.

A bit like spraying a dog turd gold ... yes its a turd, but its a shinny turd with
    a gold colour which helps take away the attention to the fact its a turd. (until you take it home and realize you have been had)

17. GadgetCollector macrumors newbie

Oh, that sucks... :(

18. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

An email I sent to apple ... the more demand the better the chance.
    feel free to copy and paste to sjobs@apple.com

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Apple make 3 notebooks. they will never please everyone if they only make a few notebook models. the previous MacBooks had glossy screens so why wouldnt the new ones? i guarantee you will be content with a glossy screen after you get used to it and stop thinking about it.

20. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Non-reflective glass exists, and is used in photography. The surface can either be coated with a thin layer that diffuses the light, or etched using acid to create a microscopic irregular surface. A similar effect to conventional matte computer screens *could* probably be achieved with a glass screen.

The main question would be how much the clarity of the screen is reduced, but it's the same tradeoff with conventional screens, and because the treatment is microscopic I doubt the picture would become "blurry" to the human eye. (Again, this is used in photography).

After-market etched glass macbook screens anyone?;)

21. chrisiw macrumors regular

They have got to offer a matt screen in the future I think, my MacBook is unusable outside in the Summer,yet I purchased a little MSI Wind netbook a few weeks ago at 1/4 of the cost of the macbook and is the first laptop that I have had, that is so easy to use in Sunlight.
    I have to say that for the cost it is unbeatable.

22. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Here is the letter I sent to sjobs@apple.com:

23. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I think the whole understanding over the glossy/matte fiasco can be sumed up with that in bold. Apple: Screw professional users.

24. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

good on you.
    we need more people heckling the mac boys.

25. Yr Blues macrumors 68020