Matte MBP thoughts (Crisp???)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by II AndyG33 II, Sep 1, 2008.

1. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

So all of your with matte mbp's
    how crisp is the text
    how bright is the screen (the led one)
    and how good do videos and pictures look (not necessarily accurate)
    im on a glossy mpb right now
    and i realize
    that i still turn the brightness down
    and i dont need all the vibrancy (not that its THAT big of a difference???)
    so i figure
    why have all the disadvantages of a glosssy screen
    like dirt
    and relfections
    and just get the matte

is the text really crisp??? that is my main concern

and dont tell me there are multiple other threads on glossy vs matte
    this is specific to people's thoughts on matte displays

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I don't really see what new things you're trying to ask for that makes this thread different from the usual "Matte vs Glossy" threads, but sure.

To me, the screen on the Matte MBP is the best screen that I've ever seen on a laptop. The text is very crisp and the colors are incredibly vibrant.

It's all personal preference though, and I personally think that glossy doesn't look all that great on a MBP.

Since you already have your Glossy MBP though, why ask this question? Wouldn't it make you feel bad to hear thoughts from happy Matte MBP owners? :p

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Everything looks great and colors look great.

Text looks crisp and no annoying reflections in the dark.

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I currently own a MBP glossy and i regret not going with the matte. So now i have to wait 2 or so years before i can afford to get a new notebook but next time I'm getting a 17" high resolution matte MBP:cool:

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I have a glossy screen and i love it, no glare if u just move it a little bit and your fine.

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Another matte vs glossy thread?

The clear consensus is that there is no "better" screen choice, it is purely personal preference. No one can help you figure this out, the only way is for you personally to see the screens side by side for a reasonable amount of time and see which you personally prefer. Personally, I cannot stand glossy, I greatly prefer matte.

8. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

Neither crispness nor brightness should be different. It's really just how the light scatters. On matte screens the light is evenly distributed, which limits the contrast, because blacks turn gray. Glossy screens reflect the light, so the colors remain the same outside the reflection, but are strongly modified within.

The question really is how you want to deal with annoying lights. Either highlights or paler colors. In relative darkness, both should be pretty much the same.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with most of the previous posters; in truth, it is largely a matter of personal preference, but I have a MBP with a matte screen (15") and I find it excellent, clear, lucid and easy to read. There is no glare or reflection, either.

Cheers and good luck with it

10. tim2006 macrumors 6502

The Question is what will Jobs do? The imac and macbook have both gone from matte to glossy. They are a big part of the mac product line-up. Will the macbook pro come in glossy with an option to get matte with the next update? Jobs did say people prefer matte. Do professionals?

11. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Can you even get the iMac w/ matte anymore?

I for one would be pissed if the MBPs came w/ glossy only. My iMac was the last one to come w/ matte stock before they switched. Glad I grabbed it!

I think glossy looks great w/ cinematics & high res movies but for the most part just find it annoying for regular functions. Its like looking into a tinted windshield at night.

12. II AndyG33 II thread starter macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

Do the screens on the matte mbp's look worse in stores like best buy and the apple store because of the light being scattered on the screen cover???

and...
    how much better does glossy look to matte in the pitch black?

13. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I previously had a blackbook which was a glossy screen and absolutely hated the glare from the screen. It also seem to attract a lot of dust and fingerprints. After my transition to a macbook pro, I am so glad I chose the matte screen. The colors are equally as vibrant as on the glossy screen minus the glare. Cleaning the screen is as simple as wetting a piece of clothe and carefully wiping the screen. As a user of both glossy and matte screens, I highly recommend the matte screens. :)

14. II AndyG33 II thread starter macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

thank you for your advice
    this is exactly what i am looking for
    i think ill go for the matte screen
    ordering a week from today just to make sure they don't release anything new!
    One more question...
    does it get plenty bright
    to the point where u could turn it down a little just to keep ur eyes ok

15. kousuke18 macrumors regular

To be honest, the brightness on a glossy screen was slightly better on my macbook, however I have yet to go as far as to max out the screen brightness on my macbook pro yet. In fact, the screen is so bright on full brightness that it hurts my eyes after a good amount of time on the computer lol

16. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I've had a matte and now I'm on a glossy MBP...if that tells you anything. My 2 cents...

17. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The gloss on the macbook is much greater than the gloss on the MBP.

18. SimiM macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what the best way to clean a matte screen is?

19. II AndyG33 II thread starter macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

how big is the difference?
    im on my friend's glossy macbook right now
    and its a little too glossy for my liking

20. stevenb macrumors member

17" LED Matte is a great looking display...

I just recently received my 17" MBP with the LED display and love it. I have a lot of light on my back and sooooo happy I got the matte finish. What sucks is that I was never able to locate an LED display in an Apple store to compare glossy to matte. They always told me that the LED display is a special order from Apple and Apple stores will not have one to look at. So, I took a leap-of-faith on the LED matte and very happy I did. The display is great and crisp. I have spent hours in front of it since I purchased it and never had any eye strain issues. Again, personal choice and also where you are going to use it. Thanks.

21. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Get a soft microfiber cloth (you can find one in the automotive section of your local department store) and use a splash of water. The same applies for the glossy displays as well.

22. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

We use MONSTER Screen Clean. It comes with the soft cloth and is what we bought for our LCD HDTV. Works great on our MBPs (Matte & Glossy)

Cheers,

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I have a MBP Glossy though it's now matte finished cause I purchased a matte anti-glare TFT protector for it. Actually, when Apple replace the original screen (due to a fault) they did ask me would i like to change for the matte version. I told them no... :D

24. SimiM macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I'll try both

25. luke1708 macrumors newbie

i feel suffocated with the matte screen..i find the glossy screen better with better colour saturation