Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
how big is the difference?
im on my friend's glossy macbook right now
and its a little too glossy for my liking

basically imo, the macbook has a glossy coating.

while the MBP looks like you're looking through a pane of glass, if that makes any sense.

tim2006

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
I have a matte MBP and like it but the fact remains go to best buy all you see are glossy notebooks. IBM is an ugly business notebook.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I prefer glossy screens on my laptops and matte on my desktops. The glossy screen makes everything on the small laptop screen pop.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
For what it is worth, I went to a matte screen from glossy, and I would never go back. The glare alone was so terrible on the glossy screens that I couldn't so anything unless I was in a relatively dark room or the lighting was diffuse.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
You can't deny how sturdy they are built though. ThinkPad keyboard is also the best.

P.S. I'm a proud MBP user/owner

Sturd? I'm sure they're no match for a Panasonic ToughBook!!

45view.jpg

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
I have a matte 15.4 screen and I do not regret choosing this option. I always buy matte screens when I have a choice.

But honestly I think that text is much crisper on glossy screens. Colours are more vibrant and saturated on glossy screen, but this feature represents a serious problem for anyone processing digital pictures. In that case what you see is quite far from what you get when printing the pictures.

thistle

SimiM

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
I heard the matte MBP screen's look better in the sun haven't tried it out yet though.

ivnds

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
I have a MBP Glossy though it's now matte finished cause I purchased a matte anti-glare TFT protector for it. Actually, when Apple replace the original screen (due to a fault) they did ask me would i like to change for the matte version. I told them no... :D

I need my screen changed, can I just ask for that? Or did you get a nice genius? I really want a glossy screen, the glare isn't an issue for me.

ivnds

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Colours are more vibrant and saturated on glossy screen, but this feature represents a serious problem for anyone processing digital pictures. In that case what you see is quite far from what you get when printing the pictures.

thistle

This is why apple has maintained the matte screen, since it's a professional oriented machine, where color precision is important.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
+1 for Matte. I can't bare the glare on the glossy screens. The color difference is negligible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.