MATTE screen option question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdhatt, Jun 20, 2010.

1. jdhatt macrumors regular

anyone use this screen for movies or gaming yet? how does it look? how does it compare against the glossy for those who've owned both? i want the matte because i know that for university it'll be better especially for late nights doing work on it it'll be easier on the eyes and i can use it for longer (apparently thats what i hear are benefits of teh AG), BUT i also want to be gaming and watching movies on it and have a feeling ill be losing alot of quality for these features with the matte display

2. lopoz macrumors regular

You won't.. I've watched movies and played games (Steam, yay!) on it and it's awesome. And if you do photo PP work on it, there's no other way..

You'll lose some of the deep blacks that the glossy screen can produce, but for me it was a no-brainer, as the glossy was unusable for my PP work. In the end, read one of the gazillion matte vs. glossy topics on MacRumors here, go to a store to look at one and buy the Anti-Glare option :)

3. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

haha ive gone to the store and sat there puzzled....i knew the antiglare was magnificent the moment i saw it....and then the glossy just looked so dam cool with the rich colors, the problem was clear though, dam reflections! but very nice....i just dont want it to be hard on my eyes....i dont do alot of that photo work and stuff, it'll just be for general use, school work, and gaming/movies....i need the best screen for those options....i hear the glossy is even reflective when t heres no light too

4. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

You won't lose any quality with the matte display; personally I prefer it quite a bit to any glossy display. I find glossy displays to make everything look over-saturated and plastic.

6. toffa813 macrumors regular

I have the standard res glossy and so far I love it. Unless you're outside you're fine in my 2 weeks of experience with it. I went outside with it once and it really wasn't that bad, but the sun was behind the screen. So unless you are in direct sunlight, the glossy is generally perfect imo.

Still regretting not getting the hi-res though, but its still pretty good

7. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

yea im getting high res for sure i just dunno if ill be losing the quality of my movies and gaming with the matte...i really do think it still looks spectacular i just havent been able to test it with those two. anyone have BOTH and test gaming/movies on them?

8. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

both the glossy and the matte screens have pros and minuses.
    i prefer matte screens on a notebook since you will be moving it around.
    but glossy screens do look way better when your watching movies tho.

9. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

You're seriously over-worrying this. Both displays look great, don't have the faintest idea as to why you think you'd lose quality going with a matte screen.

10. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

because of the washed out looking colors for movies and gaming

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Look man, the best way for you to make this decision easy is to figure out what you will be doing more of on the computer? If you're going to be doing more school work and day tasks with it and SOME occasional gaming/movie watching with it then get the matte.
    If you're buying a Mac computer to primarily game and watch movies (which is generally done in darker situations) then go for the glossy.

I'll tell you this, as I'm sitting here typing this (on this crappy-ass Gateway notebook) I'm waiting for FedEx to delivery my new 15" Core i5 Antiglare MBP. Last week I had the glossy one and sent it right back to Apple, can't deal with the reflections. Had the 13" MBP for a year and hated the reflections. One of the big problems I had with it was when I went to my local cafe and sat to either a table or the bar the slight wobbliness of the bar or the tablet caused my screen to jitter a bit which made the reflections jumpy on the screen and that was unavoidable.

Lastly, TBH, high-end home theater flat screens all use matte screens as glossy limits where you can mount them to avoid reflections.

The whole point is if you can deal with the reflections then go for the glossy because if you go back and look at your OP and your subsequent posts, you keep putting down the matte for it's shortcomings and giving more props to the glossy so that should tell you which you prefer. :)

12. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

haha good post. yea glossy does look sweet, but ur right, its mainly for school work and stuff and i game/watch movies only when i have the time...and considering there are going to be alot of days where i work on it hours and hours...i need it to be easier on the eyes....ill probs go antiglare

13. sadcamper macrumors regular

I still think movies look better on the glossy screen, but I've compromised by changing the colour profile to something more saturated and darker for when I watch movies.

14. ranlives macrumors newbie

Everything looks better on the matte screen, imo. Colors look better to me, movies look better, and even if they didn't, most people have an external display. So, it really just boils down to personal preference.

15. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Like everything, it's personal preference. Best advice is to see if your local store has a matte 15" i7 or 17" and take a look for yourself.

16. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

do u have the matte?

and yea ive gone to the store and checked it out but wasnt able to decide, ill probs go once more and then make my decision

17. cryer macrumors regular

What did you end up getting?

18. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I honestly wish they offered matte display for 13"...matte is flipping nice...esp. when light is all around you...=/

19. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I just received my 15" i5 Hi-Res Antiglare 2 days ago. THANK YOU THANK YOU APPLE. I'm so happy I got the matte screen. I wasn't happy with my 13" MBP and the glossy screen was one of my biggest trips. I watched Gladiator on this last night and it was just beautiful. :)

21. Audrey313 macrumors member

Amen. That would solve what I've been struggling with for weeks. I want the size of the 13" and the screen option of the 15".

22. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

You are far from alone. I'm getting my wife her first notebook and we have decided(i think?) to try the 13" and return it if she can't handle the glossy reflections. I email Mr. Jobs but no response to if the 13 would get matte option. We also were going to try an antiglare film, although I for one like the silver bezel on the Apple matte screen.

23. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

ive decided on the matte, im picking it up tomorrow, i went to the store and took a look and it was easy, matte all the way. i was set on glossy once again when going to the store to have a look (because i had watched my buddies game on a vibrant glossy screen for two days in a row before going) and once again as soon as i walked in and compared i was blown away by how much better the matte was. i even went onto the 17 inch and put on a movie to compare, hands down the matte wins....sure the glossy had the vibrancy but it was so dam saturated and rough on the eyes while the matte was suuppeerr clear and crisp....i even took someone to compare and she immediately pointed at the matte one without knowing which one she was looking at.

24. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

agreed, the silver bezel does look fantastic to me aswell...AND it has the bonus of distinguishing itself from all the typical macbook pro users these days with their glossy + black bezel finish :p

25. autacraft Guest

AG wins again!

I cat really fathom why apple has gone down the glossy route in all honesty, they usually set trends not follow them, and in this instance I think its been a really poor misjudgment on apples part to even offer glossy displays.

Despite the obvious issue of reflection, the sharpness and clarity of glossy screens just falls so so short of the high end AG displays they produce - why would they want inferior screens?

I appreciate giving the consumer a 'choice' and the trend on the market seems to be glossy, but apple are usually the first to explain the real pros/cons of why they use certain materials, and glossy just seems like such a daft choice on a device such as a laptop.

The point of blacks/whites being richer on a glossy display - If you get an AG calibrate your screen to suit your tastes (even set up profiles for movies/work etc) it really is that simple!

Honestly, the AG screen (Im tapping this on a 17" AG) is no word of a lie - STUNNING! Its crystal clear, super rich in colour, tack sharp and hey! I can travel anywhere I like with it and have pretty much zero reflection!

Colours are truer, I dont get horrid finger prints all over it and as a previous poster mentioned, the silver bezel looks really really cool and IMO way nicer than the glossy black one, which to me looks rather cheap and verging on looking like a TV screen.

Its all obviously a matter of taste and I too was a bit hesitant about the AG screen - its my first laptop so not really that experienced in using them, but Im astounded at how fantastic this is and couldnt be happier with it.

I'm never going for glossy as long as Im using these type of devices and would recommend the AG screens 110% over the glossys

go try them!