Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
yea the standard glossy fails compared to high-res AG....but the high res glossy doesnt COMPLETELY fail...i compared two 17 inchers....but the matte won by a mile....i put on the same movie on both and was blown away

cryer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I cat really fathom why apple has gone down the glossy route in all honesty, they usually set trends not follow them, and in this instance I think its been a really poor misjudgment on apples part to even offer glossy displays.

Despite the obvious issue of reflection, the sharpness and clarity of glossy screens just falls so so short of the high end AG displays they produce - why would they want inferior screens?

I appreciate giving the consumer a 'choice' and the trend on the market seems to be glossy, but apple are usually the first to explain the real pros/cons of why they use certain materials, and glossy just seems like such a daft choice on a device such as a laptop.

The point of blacks/whites being richer on a glossy display - If you get an AG calibrate your screen to suit your tastes (even set up profiles for movies/work etc) it really is that simple!

Honestly, the AG screen (Im tapping this on a 17" AG) is no word of a lie - STUNNING! Its crystal clear, super rich in colour, tack sharp and hey! I can travel anywhere I like with it and have pretty much zero reflection!

Colours are truer, I dont get horrid finger prints all over it and as a previous poster mentioned, the silver bezel looks really really cool and IMO way nicer than the glossy black one, which to me looks rather cheap and verging on looking like a TV screen.

Its all obviously a matter of taste and I too was a bit hesitant about the AG screen - its my first laptop so not really that experienced in using them, but Im astounded at how fantastic this is and couldnt be happier with it.

I'm never going for glossy as long as Im using these type of devices and would recommend the AG screens 110% over the glossys

go try them!

Thanks for your assessment, it helps quite a bit. For calibration profiles, is it a file you can load up an it changes the screen just like that? If so, do you mind sharing what you use? :)

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
so i actually went out and finally bought my mbp after much discussion about screens, processors and all that.....and its AMAZING!!! every choice i made was the correct one....the AG was 1000000000000% worth it without a doubt, its stunning....and to people who say glossys waaayyyy better in dark situations....its really not the matte is quite vibrant and crisp and does the job at night while wanting to watch a movie and during the day when the suns causing glare and u need to get some work done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.