Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Update on the Candyshell flaking issue:

The Red with black didn't seem to flake at all and the rubber looks like a different material than the last generation version.

Unfortunately, the dark grey/light grey satin model is starting to flake only after one day of use. :( The rubber on this one looks like the same rubber used on the last generation version.

I'm really disappointed - I love the satin finish on cases, but this one still has the old flaking problem...

Maybe OP can report back here and let us know if he has issues with his satin models. The white model has red rubber, so maybe there is a difference there (?)

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I also have this new case (black/grey)

I like the matte finish and how it doesn't scratch but yep. It flakes! They used the EXACT same material that the smaller camera CandyShells have. The most recent glossy black/grey ones with the large camera cut out dont suffer from this problem for some weird reason.

Plus the case is way too thick/bulky for me. I wish they made a satin Candyshell "Slim" but not use the rubber from the SeeThru line. :\

Anyways, I dropped this case and I went back to my black Incase Slider. Simple, thin and no issues at all. :)

alstrike

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
Spain
Just pulled the trigger on the White/Red one for my Black iPhone 4S. Bought it for 40$ including shipping to Spain (here Apple doesn´t have it + they charge a lot more).

Phone should be here tomorrow but the case might be here next week, I´ll report back when I get it.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Watched a review on YouTube that mentioned that this case does indeed flake. I don't understand how they can't seem to remedy this problem :mad:

alstrike

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
Spain
Watched a review on YouTube that mentioned that this case does indeed flake. I don't understand how they can't seem to remedy this problem :mad:

It seems that the red rubber is less prone to "flake", we´ll see how it fares.

Not much of a deal breaker if you ask me after coming from the worst case ever (SGP Neo Hybrid for Samsung Galaxy S2) :eek:

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I'm loving my otterbox reflex but I'm interested in the Candyshell as I've heard a lot of good things about it. Just gotta decide whether to order the matte finished version or just wait until these hit stores.

Reevsaj

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Just ordered one of these on Amazon. I had been reluctant to buy another Speck product after the disaster I had with the See-Thru for iPhone 3GS, but apparently their new products are much improved.

Love the look of this, and I will definitely need it now that my SGP Neo Hybrid is falling apart.

xyfish

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
i loved the soft coating on the Speck SeeThru Satin line, though the rubber on the rim did come off in less than half a year of careful use..

Atad sad that the line is discontinuted :(

alstrike

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
Spain
It seems that the red rubber is less prone to "flake", we´ll see how it fares.

Not much of a deal breaker if you ask me after coming from the worst case ever (SGP Neo Hybrid for Samsung Galaxy S2) :eek:

Well I´ve been using this case for a week or so and I have to say that the flaking is absolutely nuts.

The thing is falling apart literally... I´ll post pictures in a sec.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I order a candyshell satin this morning. I sure hope I didn't waste my money because I'm currently VERY happy with my Magpul field case.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I've just done the opposite- gone from a Candyshell Satin to a Magpul Field. I liked the Candyshell, with a very nice look and feel, and good protection. But it added some bulk and weight, and didn't have as much grip as I want. The Magpul is slim and lighter, looks nice, and has good protection and great grip. It's everything I want and need in a case.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
All this magpul talk makes me wanna add one to my collection!

I think you definitely should. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll use the Candyshell for a few days then be right back in my Field Case. It has the best everything to me of the cases I've tried (Otterbox Defender, Commuter, Reflex and Incipio NGP).

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I think you definitely should. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll use the Candyshell for a few days then be right back in my Field Case. It has the best everything to me of the cases I've tried (Otterbox Defender, Commuter, Reflex and Incipio NGP).

I'm exactly the same. I have 4 Commuters (I got 2 of them as replacements for the crappy silicone issue, which they didn't fix), the NGP (which I like, but I dislike the saggy area below the home button), and about 4 other cases. No matter which case I use, I always come back to the Field Case. It seriously is, IMO, the best case out there for a mix of protection and slimness. And for the price, you can't beat it!

cole01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
I'm definitely going to pick up a field case as well. And I hope you guys aren't disappointed with the candyshell satin! I've been using mine for a few months, and yes there's been a bit of flaking but it's nothing too noticeable and I guess I'm just used to it by now since this is my 4th or 5th candyshell. The matte finish hasn't peeled or scratched, it's very durable. This case also protected my phone from a quite hard fall on the asphalt the other day without a scratch on the phone or case.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I bought the Field because it has more of a lip around the screen. But at $9.95 each, you could buy both. You could buy three in different colors for the price of one CandyShell.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I bought the Field because it has more of a lip around the screen. But at $9.95 each, you could buy both. You could buy three in different colors for the price of one CandyShell.

I went with the Field Case for the same reason...it has more of a "lay on the table" design. I also liked that it has the bigger camera/flash opening and not the "keyhole" opening like the Executive (although I'm not sure if that causes any flashback issues on the Executive).

One thing I will recommend if you get the Field Case. Take a black Sharpie and black out the inner ring of the camera/flash opening. It's easy to do and will help stop any flashback you may see when using the flash.

I've got the OD Green and Foliage colors, but I've been thinking about picking up a black and Flat Dark Earth (tan) ones. That's how much I like these cases!

cole01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks guys! I decided to go with the Field case in foliage. I think it'll look great with my white 4S. Such a good price!

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks guys! I decided to go with the Field case in foliage. I think it'll look great with my white 4S. Such a good price!

it does

Attachments

• DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 185

cybertek

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
The rubber around the screen has started to crack (like a dry rot).
I emailed Speck a few days ago but got no response.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
My Candyshell just arrived. I like the fit and how durable it is. I just hope I don't fall victim to the flaking I've read about.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I'm a big fan of Candyshell although I do wish the shiny model didn't show so many scratches. The silicone peeling has only been a minor issue on my Candyshell cases. I just really like the way Candyshell installs on my phone, feels in my hand (weight, smooth finish, etc.), plays nice with screen protector, and protects my phone from dust/scratches/drops. I'd really love to see pics of the Satin in white after a month or so of real world use, though, before ordering. Anyone with experience/pics of the white Satin case? I'm skeptical as to how the white will hold up and that's the one I'm interested in for my white 4S.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
Does anyone have any pics of the flaking? I see something and I just got mine yesterday. If what I see is the flaking that I've read about then it's really no big deal at all...for now.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
thats does look pretty nice, I wish on the camera cut out they made it smaller around the lens and left it big aorund the flash. It leaves that corner a little weak

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.