Mavericks 10.9.3 much slower boot and glitches during startup

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by PePe93, May 19, 2014.

1. PePe93 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody!

I'm the owner of MacBook Pro 15 Retina late 2013 with dedicated GPU, on which I have just installed fresh Mavericks 10.9.3. As I mentioned in thread title, my mac is much slower than it was on 10.9.2.

First of all, boot, which used to last only 14 seconds (WOW), now doubled itself reaching 28 seconds (now it's not so cool). On 10.9.2 it was so fast that "loading circle" didn't even appear. Moreover, when I pull up the top case, it takes about 3-4 seconds before login window appears, when on 10.9.2 it revealed immediately. Also I have noticed some kind of freeze with rose colors on the screen, right before login screen shows.

I also noticed, that one step of installation is missing. Usually, I had to wait for installation being prepared, right after chosing drive to install system (some "loading" part), and only then the main installator appeared. Now, this main installator reveals itself right after chosing Macintosh HD.

Any suggestions? :)

P.S.
    I always do clean install

2. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Have you tried to do reset PRAM? I experienced variation of booting speed (as long as you used HDD) between 1 install to another install (even though all of them are fresh install). It may be due to location of files in the disk.

Another trick is to backup and restore back again, see if this helps.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Also try this in terminal to Clear the kext caches:

sudo chown root:admin (enter password)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    sudo kextcache -system-caches

Do in terminal and reboot. make sure your start up disk is still selected correctly in preferences.

4. Mac.The.Flipper macrumors newbie

Mac.The.Flipper

Same here...

I fully agree to PePe93`s observations.

I`m having similar issues after updating to 10.9.3 via app store update!

5. PePe93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I decided to go back to 10.9.2. I have done so many reinstalls ( my Mac was slow even on 10.9.2) but after 10 times it seems to be working ( on 10.9.2 ofc). But still I am really curious, why the hell there is still a missing step during installation. As far as I know, after chosing installation disk, it should copy some files, prepare disk AND RESET the Mac, and only then the installer should continue the installation. But in my case, files are not copying, there is no reset and installer starts just after chosing disk. Please explain me this if it is possible.

6. Suffa, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

Suffa macrumors member

I also have some weird things happening to my iMac 27" late -12 after updating to 10.9.3.

During boot up, this weird thing happens. Have no idea what it means but it doesn't really look good to me.

Anyone have a clue what this red screen flash means?!

http://sv.tinypic.com/r/2i7mot4/8

7. PePe93 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that this red screen is the same kind of issue like "rose freeze" but in other version. For now, I decided to stay on 10.9.2 and I won't upgrade until next update.

8. Cardsnk macrumors regular

Mine displayed the apple logo on a pink background during startup, PRAM reset does seem to get rid of the issue, but after a couple of shut downs, the bug just returns. Mac model in signature. (Updated 10.9.3 via appstore)

9. cBraunDesign macrumors newbie

cBraunDesign

10.9.3 Glitches

Count me in as another Macbook Pro Retina user with startup issues. I don't see a red screen, but my apple icon turns 100% green with an array of pink pixels around it, and the rest of the screen turns white. It then proceeds to boot normally and operate as usual.

Mavericks has been awfully buggy.

10. shigatashway macrumors member

Red, green... mine is blue! what the heck is happening.....

11. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded to 10.9.3 and it's been fine except for one thing.
    Booting took ages - like 30 seconds or more and the initial (empty) light grey screen was there for ages.
    I did restarts and they were the same.
    I was going to do a PRAM reset then I found myself wondering if there was a startup disk problem.
    I went in to System Preferences - > Startup disk and re-selected Macintosh HD and then clicked on restart from that same window and booting returned to a normal time again.

12. Fimeg macrumors regular

Mine is yellow... A really bright and vivid yellow.

rMBP 15 2012, maxed out.

13. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Count me in with the similar issue during boot up. The  logo gets surrounded by different colored pixels and rest of the screen turns white.

I hate this bug. Drives me crazy everytime I boot up.

14. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Try resetting PRAM.

15. Cardsnk macrumors regular

Has anyone done a fresh install because of this screen glitch/bug?

• restart in safe mode / reboot
    • repair permissions
    • PRAM reset
    No fix.

16. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Okay... resetting PRAM solved it. At least for now. I've rebooted 4 times after PRAM reset now and no sign of any issues.

17. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear that though I've no idea why :)
    I just read that others had had success with a PRAM reset.

18. PePe93 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK! I found a solution that speeds up reboot to it's proper time (13sec with whole reboot :D ) EVEN ON 10.9.3!!!

Here it is:

1. Switch of your Wi-Fi
    2. Open keychain
    3. Delete all entries connected with your Wi-Fi network (in all sections! I deleted also game center entry. You will be asked for password once if I remember right )
    4. Reboot
    5. Connect to your Wi-Fi network and enter the password
    6. Reboot again and check if it speeded up

Other thing I found on the web is that slow boot (especially shut down, boot up was pretty fast everytime) is well known issue and it is connected with iCloud things. It might be right because I have been doing clean reinstalls many times until my Mac works with right boot speed and I noticed that every time when the boot time was good I hadn't done any iClouds logins etc. during whole installation, and I think this is the solution if you want to do a clean install. Any other suggestions?

19. chris766 macrumors newbie

Mav X is Apple on Obama care

Maverick X is a lot like Obamacare. Lots of talk and no performance.

I have a Mac Pro 15" - it has been updated by Apple (sent to california for updates and more ram). No one other than paid Apple employees has touched this laptop - yet the Maverick X has a laundry list of problems.

Re-installed - yes, several times. solved problems - no way.

When first installed the CD drive & the SD slot "disappeared" - then a new update - and the cd drive reappeared - but no sd card. too bad - it worked great in the minutes before installing Mav X

Before Mav X my computer NEVER got hot...now - holy ****! the back gets too hot to touch sometimes.

I bought into MAC products because I was tired of poor quality and low grade hardware. 4 years ago the devices/service/support was excellent. But that was when Jobs was still around.

Today the hardware quality remains high, but the software is hopeless. I get more updates from apple than for both of the Dells we have in the house.

every update comes with another group of problems & and it feels very much like these guys are making it up as they go along - ala obamacare. at the least - there is too little testing and research. These guys are talking to the mirrors in the board room and are convinced they rule the planet....

Next time i buy - I will spend my money in a different store. What ever advantages Apple had - they spent/wasted/cashed in on.

20. peace4al macrumors newbie

Glad to find that I am not alone ! Mine boots up pink and also changes profile to default when any application using dGPU is launched. Can someone please verify this color profile bug as well ?

21. PePe93 thread starter macrumors newbie

I must agree with you. I expected a lot more from Apple devices. I expected full stability, smoothness, no troubleshoting at all, like it used to be when S. Jobs was in charge of this company. Hadrware which costs at least double time more than others should be almost perfect and reliable. It is still much better than Windows, but not that better it will recompense that costs.

22. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well... to be honest. Mavericks fixed many of the things I was unhappy with Mountain Lion. But you're partly right, Mavericks got many little bugs that gotta be solved ASAP.

But in overall I'm more pleased with Mavericks compared to Mountain Lion.

23. chris766 macrumors newbie

re-install Mountain Lion

I recommend you re-install mountain lion. Its funny...I paid for it and it works well - the "free" upgrade to X has been headaches....hmmm maybe I have learned a new lesson - you get what you pay for....

Apple has become IT Obamacare

24. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I accidentally upgraded to 10.93 last night after a few beers. I thought it was a Camera RAW update and didn't notice the OS update below it. Luckily no issues on my 2013 i7 Mini. Normal gray screen and Apple logo. Startup time is about the same--very fast--with my Fusion drive. However, shutdown gray screen seems to linger a little longer.

I recall OS updates under 10.6x, 10.7x and 10.8x resulted in significantly slower startups. However after a few days startup went back to normal. I figured the system caches were flushed during the update and return to normal after a few shutdown/restart cycles.

25. JohnnyMIAMI macrumors newbie

Were you able to fix this problem? If so, how? Thank you.