Mavericks DP4 = Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by avw5000, Jul 23, 2013.

1. avw5000 macrumors newbie

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Perhaps you should share a bit more to start the discussion. For example, how does it equal Snow Leopard?

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You're always so demanding...wanting OP to actually support his/her Title with some information, opinion, discussion.:mad:

Isn't it enough just to say..."Thoughts" or "Comments", and then leave it to everyone else to carry the thread?

Geez...:rolleyes:

:p ;)

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Top end and no joke.:D

Also Snow Leopard ≠ DP4.

5. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I'm not sure how I feel about the above comment.

Thoughts?

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

LOL!:D

Hoist on my own petard...:eek:

7. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I never thought Snow Leopard was "all that". Tiger was the best version of OS X since Mavericks and Mountain Lion is pretty damn close, but Snow Leopard is too overrated here.

8. 3282868 macrumors 603

Bertand Serlet was one of the best SVP of Software Engineering for OS X, 10.4-5 became the most stellar releases to date. Bertrand pushed development, beta's releases were wither weekly or biweekly, with clean installs to lessen variables that may impact releases over updates, and took their time instead of annual releases. Features seemed more robust, system overhauls were much more intense and improved stability of Leopard with Snow Leopard were significant. I do agree, 10.9 is focusing back on power systems while .7 and .8 seemed for iOS and Social Networking focused. FCPX is finally at a point where serious editors can use it, and Logic Pro X looks to be promising. I'm glad Apple is getting back to the Mac.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah, it is horrible!

Side note, I had a truly delicious lunch.
    Thoughts?

10. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Thoughts?
    I'l give you thoughts on the matter; second thoughts.

11. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Hopefully this doesn't mean there will be two more "Lions" before they get back to performance again.

12. Synaesthesia242 macrumors member

Mavericks DP4 is very fast, responsive and surprisingly stable for a developer preview. It's on track to be a great release.

13. Jaekae macrumors 6502

just a quick question, can i upgrade from mountain lion directly to mavericks beta? so i have all my programs and pictures etc saved, or do i have to make a full reinstall?

14. Synaesthesia242 macrumors member

You can.

15. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It's pretty good, but boot time on an HDD still blows hard for me.

16. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I find 10.9 to be almost as stable as 10.8. I think that when it is finished tweaking and bug fixing it will be my new favorite release of all time. I was not much a fan on 10.8 or 10.7 for that matter. I was a heavy user of spaces in 10.6 and with mission control that was taken away. Mission control was a failure for me, it took a decent multi monitor support and made it unusable for over two years now. I am all for progress and change but mission control almost made me downgrade to 10.6 with the exception my apps needed lion or better i would have. I think 10.9 will be amazing as it finally circles back around and finishes mission control off like it should have been at the launch of lion.

17. Leek macrumors newbie

As a Snow Leopard user, no it isn't. Snow Leopard was fast and polished. Mavericks is fast but that is it. There is still a ridiculous amount of dust swept under the carpet.

Display extra still does nothing.

Still no mail activity indicator.

Still can't view both annotations and page list at once in Preview like you could on Snow Leopard -- can only view annotations OR page list.

In OS X you have always been able to use context menus with one click instead of 2 clicks like in Windows. That is, you hold the right-click button to open the menu, and then release the button to select an option. One click. I love doing that. Yet the new-style context menus in Mavericks, such as the tags button in the Finder toolbar, can't do this. It opens on mouse release instead on mouse down and forces you to use a minimum of 2 clicks.

Or, for example, with Expose in Snow Leopard and before, if you had one hot corner set up for Expose and one hot corner set up for Show Desktop, you could move the mouse from corner to corner and instantly switch between Expose and Show Desktop. With Mission Control, including Mavericks, you can't switch from Mission Control to Show Desktop and vice versa like that. If you're in Mission Control hitting the Show Desktop hot corner only dismisses Mission Control, so you have to hit the corner twice to switch to Show Desktop.

It's little bits of polish like that that have been missing all over the operating system ever since Lion, and it all adds up to a very clunky experience if you've been accustomed to better with Snow Leopard. Apple will have to try even harder if they want my upgrade custom.

18. Eithanius, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

Eithanius macrumors 65816

Well said... Another word to describe Snow Leopard in comparison (especially on an SSD) is Lightweight... Any OS X versions after SL are basically bloatware - overall sluggish response coming from the same hardware with the same SSD. Mavericks DP4 is nowhere near SL. Even though Apple boasted smooth scrolling, overall GUI responses are still slow.

Switching Spaces (a feature which I relied heavily on) is nowhere as fast as SL. GPU utilisation sucks, either with some memory leaks somewhere OR L/ML/Mv GUI taking considerable amount of VRAM for those unnecessary kiddy-like window animation. Disabling window animation gave a slight improvement but not much.

Dashboard calculator on SL, I can always use Esc button to clear any previous calculations without exiting Dashboard itself. On Lion onwards, Esc will exit Dashboard altogether. The function was replaced by the "Clear" key which can only be found on a full-sized keyboard (I'm on an MBP), so I have to resort to hitting "Delete" key repeatedly. Mavericks up until DP4 got it even worst, the text cursors are all everywhere on all widgets that when I start using Calculator, I might have keyed my numbers on Stickies, or on Dictionary etc, there's no way to tell which widget is active because they are ALL active. :mad:

I've always thought Lion is akin to Leopard where they introduced tonnes of new features the overall performance will bog down. Snow Leopard was made to improve performance under the hood. Mountain Lion did not improve on Lion, and Apple has touted Mavericks as a somewhat similar under-the-hood upgrade to Mountain Lion. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that way. I guess it's the departure of Bertrand Serlet that everything on OS X goes haywire.

19. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I'd agree, it is the best release so far by some margin, however it's still not production ready - I'm still seeing WIFI bugs in DP4.

Waiting for the bug-tracker to come back online so i can submit some diagnostic logs.

But yes - battery life is great, performance is great and they've finally fixed full-screen mode for multiple monitors!

edit:
    If you're going to whine about 10.9 performance on 5 year old hardware... it's not what it is written for. 5 years in computing is stone age.

20. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I whined about 10.7 performance back in mid 2011 when my Mac was only a year old... And that makes it stone age computing... yeah right...! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

21. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The Betas and early release versions of Snow Leopard were hardly polished either. There were plenty of bugs and things that needed fixing.

OK, Lion and Mountain Lion were definitely works in progress (though they did fix some bugs that remained in Snow Leopard) and they still need work, which they will probably never get. I'm hoping that it was a blip, possibly caused by that guy that no one liked.

I get sick of people believing that 10.6 was the apogee of human endeavour. It was a good OS version: but not hugely superior or "better" than Tiger or Leopard in terms of quality of code and "polish". Of course, it introduced new features and made efficiencies, but it had, and still has bugs. (Heresy!)

22. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Of course it has bugs. However, it still is, to this day, the best OS X operating system in terms of performance. I use ML because of Xcode 4.6, and I like it, but I miss SL.

The latest isn't always the greatest, look at Windows 8 vs Windows 7 and you'll see why. I would never switch my desktop to W8 because it simply has way too many annoying things that I will never use.

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Once again I have to disagree, Tiger was the best version of OS X EVER in terms of stability and smooth operation. To me it felt very industrial strength. Mavericks looks to be the perfect successor to Tiger, IMO. Anyone is welcome to disagree but if they do I would say they never used Tiger.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

We have 10.9 at work but sadly I don't get to play with it yet. I'd love to see if ZBrush, Modo, Photoshop and After Effects CC, and Mudbox 2014 work on it.