OS X Mavericks Games/Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Irishman, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Irishman macrumors 68030

I wanted to start a thread specifically speaking about any changes or preferably improvements gamers are noticing in updating to 10.9 Mavericks. So, maybe this thread can be that one spot to come to for info.

Like many Mac gamers, I was excited to get the 10.9 update ASAP! I installed it and ran the OpenGL Extensions Viewer, just to make sure it was running the updated version (4.1). I was pleased to learn that it was.

Then, just on a lark, I decided to see if Unigine's Heaven benchmark already had the hooks in it to do hardware tessellation (and had been waiting for OSX's graphics subsystem to catch up). Pleasantly, it had (no update needed...just running version 4 of Heaven)! Awesome!

The feature looks really good, and makes scenes with certain materials look much more natural and organic. I ran some benchmarks with settings turned on and off to see the differences in performance on my iMac (late 2012 21.5" w/ Nvidia GT 650M GPU).

Here are the results (default res for Heaven on my Mac is 1024 x 768)

Test one
    Med qual
    Tess Norm
    All Options On
    AA off

Test two
    Med qual
    Tess disabled
    All Options On
    AA 4x

This compares favorably to a benchmark I ran back in February of this year:

Med qual
    Tess not available
    All Options On
    AA 4x

About a 60% improvement from ML to Mavericks, if my math is right! :)

So far, the Valley benchmark doesn't seem to have tessellation in it.

Test
    Med qual
    Tess unavailable
    All Options On
    AA 4x

Back in March, I got these results in Valley:

Unigine Valley (default 1024 x 768)

18.5 FPS (with 4X AA)

A 47% improvement in performance (again, if my math is correct)

Rage showed no change from ML (Rage (transcode benchmark) - 70 MT/s)

Hopefully, this will serve as a good start for information regarding how well Mavericks is for 3D gaming.

2. syrinxx macrumors member

game updates

hi thanks for you work,

as far as i know a lot of the games out there right now for osx will not have any improvements cause they are coded for an older OpenGL version.

we will have to wait and see if these games get patches or what ever to take advantage of OpenGL 4.1.

the problem i see is that if this happens maybe the support for older osx versions will expire. blizzard will drop support for wow if they switch to OpenGL 4 they told users in their forums.

i tried borderland 2 today it runs like it did under ML but the overall the graphics look differend it seems. (but i don't know this for sure i have to admit).

lets see ... i hope for improvements in D3 and other games.

cheers ...

ps. would be nice if some guy from Asypr and Feral could help us out with some infos depending on this switch and future patches...

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would be interested in reading about this. Do you have the link ?

4. fekimoki macrumors member

fekimoki

Hello. Possible to benchmark popular Steam games? Counter striko GO, Dota 2, Max Payne 3, XCOM, Batman?

Thanks in adv.

5. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't think there is a Mac tool that does it. I'd do Arkham City, CS:GO, HL2, Dota 2, TF2, if it did. :)

6. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I measured the same performance between Lion and Maverick for Source games (at least portal). I believe the improvements only concern games using openGL 4.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't play WoW anymore, but in the link, I saw a blurb about upgrading to 10.6.8, as they were no longer going to support 10.6, but nothing in the link about Blizzard dropping support if they (who?) switches to OpenGL4? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think you are correct. In reading the link, it said that OSX 10.6 would not be supported in the near future (Blizzard has been warning people for the last year).

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I suppose that going from 10.6 to 10.6.8 would not be traumatic...

10. syrinxx macrumors member

?????

ok i have to admit english is not my mother language
    but what this statement is clear:

"We very strongly suggest to everybody who can update to do so.
    If you are still on 10.6.8 then you should absolutely update since we will be dropping support for 10.6 completely soon. (WoW will not launch)"

so if you use 10.6.8 you should update ...

don´t see the problem. maybe there is some sort of special interpretation of using this combination of words but in my opinion it says - quit using 10.6!
    (10.6. - 10.6.8)

cheers

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Either Feral or Aspyr, I forget which one, said that they WILL do their best to update/patch several popular current games to take advantage of the latest OpenGL in Mavericks. The rep stated so in these MacRumors forums.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The newest OS X is 10.9. Many people think 10.6 was the best version of OS X which is why they haven't upgraded. I liked OS X 10.6 but I think OS X 10.8 is great. I have no plans on upgrading to OS X 10.9 for awhile even if it's free.

13. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

They're going to drop Snow Leopard completely. 10.7+ only.
    The faster people get to Mavericks, the better.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Something was mentioned about they (?) not supporting OpenGL 4. That was what I was asking about.

15. kaellar macrumors 6502

Though they don't support OGL4 indeed, stopping the 10.6 support means they can finally go from Compatibility to Core profile of OGL3.2, which definitely has its big advantages. I hope we'll get this change before the RoS release.

16. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

So, I've seen some games seem to be smoother now under Mavericks - Left 4 Dead 2 chiefly - but I don't know if it's a placebo effect because I'm not sure how to benchmark it in OSX.

I think maybe I'm not alone in wondering what games have already been optimized for 10.9, versus those who haven't. So, if you know, or have read somewhere that a title either has been, or is being worked on by its developer (Aspyr in the case of Bioshock Infinite).

I'm going to start by listing the games I have and play.

Bioshock 1
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Rage Campaign Edition
    Shadowgun Deadzone
    Batman: Arkham City
    Half Life
    Team Fortress 2
    Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    Dota 2
    Borderlands 2

Does anyone have any additional titles you want to know about? Post em up here, and add them to the list.

17. diafebus macrumors newbie

mm I've noticed a big change with Counter Strike Global Offensive, it was running ok on high settings, something like 40-50fps, now it runs up to hundreds I don't get why it works much better btw capping fps to 60 works smooth I'm very happy with the upgrade, some games just get 2 or 3 more fps but when you are at the 25-26 fps margin it makes it run smoother so yep mavericks finally gets more juice out of graphics, we need to see titles updated to that benefits or new games released and see how do they work.

cya

18. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

What model Mac do you have? nVidia or AMD GPU?

19. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

I ran the built-in benchmark in Batman Arkham City, to find out the performance of my Mac. I did not, however, have this game to test BEFORE Mavericks, so keep that in mind. It's just a benchmarking, not a comparison.

I used maximum effects on each run. The only difference is the resolution:

1024 x 768
    Min - 19
    Max - 60
    Ave - 48

1344 x 1008
    Min - 6
    Max - 59
    Ave - 43

1600 x 900
    Min -9
    Max - 60
    Ave - 41

1920 x 1080
    Min - 7
    Max - 56
    Ave - 38

I was pleasantly surprised. Thoughts?

20. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

F1 2012 we found has at least an 8% boost on AMD cards. :)

Edwin

21. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

They say nothing about openG 4.1, nor do they say anything about dropping support for WOW. What they say is that 10.6.x support will soon cease, which has nothing to do with what you state.