Mavericks if you buy a rMBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbishop93, Jun 28, 2013.

1. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Hello everyone, I just recently got a deal from an ebay seller for a brand new 15" rMBP core i7, 2.7 ghz, 512gb SSD, 16gb RAM, 2013 model for $1700. It was just too good a deal to pass up and I figured worse case scenario if haswell is THAT much better I can sell this one used for probably more than I bought it for. Anyway I haven't gotten it yet it will arrive sometime next week, but I was just wondering since it's so close to Mavericks will I be able to get a free upgrade when it comes out? I don't know how this works with Apple, this will be my first mac literally ever.

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I think if you purchase after they have announced the next version that you will get a free upgrade, but even if you don't it is hardly going to break the bank considering that the Mountain Lion upgrade was only $20.

3. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

didn't know it is that cheap....you still have the link to the item?

4. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately its not, I just happened to contact her at a good time. She doesnt have anymore in stock right now. When I talked to her a few days ago I put my order straight through paypal, because her ebay account earnings reached it's monthly limit, so for the trouble she gave it to me for $1700 through paypal and i'm still protected through paypal so I went for it. But normally she sells them for $1900 buy it now on ebay, but they go instantly, so I messaged her. I think she said shes posting more up next week but for $2000. And they are all brand new.

----------

Thanks so mavericks should be no more than $20ish upgrade? That's fine for me obviously I would have just liked to see if apple updates for free for certain models bought within a time frame.

5. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

its not about the stock....but rather how ridiculously low the price is...
    i mean, apple sold it for $2800 on the store. to get it for $1000 less? its a bit fishy?

6. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree I mean I know others who have bought it for the 1900 and everything is as expected brand new with 1 year default warranty etc. I don't know how it can be that discounted. I will let you know how it goes when mine is shipped to me, I'm going to verify it's legitimate and not stolen or whatever first. Which I don't believe it is I think she just knows someone and gets really amazing price cuts.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

Isn't that what eBay tells you not to do when buying on eBay? It seems like if they cut and run, you won't have any recourse because you went around eBay to make a purchase.

8. paukivbashne macrumors member

dude....never ever do that again..I hope this is big exception and this deal is real because usually thats how ppl get left with an empty box .
    because only on ebay you are really protected.

9. ramram55 macrumors 6502

As long as you paid thru paypal you have nothing to worry about.

10. paukivbashne macrumors member

nop not really :(

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why would you get a free OS upgrade for a computer you purchased used?

12. pnyc macrumors 6502

You're completely wrong about this. As long as the buyer paid with PayPal, and I mean paid and not sent the money as a gift he's "protected" by PayPal. If he paid with his credit card via PayPal and it's a half decent card he's twice protected.

I have done what the op has done many times, contacted the buyer directly and paid via PayPal. I had no problem getting my money back when one seller sent me a note pad instead of a hard drive. Still I wouldn't solely trust PayPal to "protect" my transactions and I'd recommend people use a credit card for all PayPal payments.

13. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Just curious, are you really still not covered under PayPal? I thought you were.

14. paukivbashne macrumors member

maybe you just got lucky with decent sellers
    but like on ebay theres a description and condition for return and you can open a claim and stuff and say "hey this is not what i ordered!!" and point out to a lot on ebay etc..
    How are you going to do all that on paypal? i mean how are you going to convince paypal that you bought macbook retina for a low price but not just a bit overpriced box from the macbook retina?)))

15. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Two ways:
    1. The seller sends you an invoice detailing what is being purchased, and a description of the goods
    2. When you send the money, you put details about what is being purchased/description of the goods in the "notes to recipient" section

I've paid directly through PayPal numerous times also; you are definitely still protected. If you have any issues with the item you receive, you can call PayPal customer service and go through a process very similar to the eBay dispute system. The MacRumors marketplace also, for the most part, operates on these PayPal transactions between members.

16. pnyc macrumors 6502

Are you serious, $1700 for an empty box is "just a bit overpriced"? You truly think that PayPal will believe that the buyer agreed to buy an empty rmb box from the seller for $1700. That's $1700, for an empty box. You can buy a refurbished rmb for less.

17. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

If you actually read my initial post you'd know that its not used its brand new...moving on.

----------

Well said, this is exactly what I did, purchased on credit card, AND made sure in the notes to seller all the description was correct and that it was a brand new macbook. Plus I've been talking to her on and off the phone for the past week I have her contact information and all and she's 1. very nice and 2. she has nearly perfect feedback on ebay everyone comment on what an amazing seller she is and how good her deals are. Either way I'm protected and I have many message and phone call exchanges that could verify the agreement we had. The only thing now left to be worried about really is whether or not it was stolen, and I highly doubt that because of the ones previously sold.

18. agaskew macrumors 6502

So if I understand the OP, the question is basically...

"If I buy a laptop now, will I get a free upgrade to the next Operating System that isn't out yet, and doesn't even have a release date, or a price?"

Maybe if I buy an iPod Nano tomorrow, Tim Cook will come round my house in December and put up the Christmas tree for me.

19. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

So what you're telling me is Apple never promoted a free upgrade to an OS before it came out when you bought a certain model? Then I guess I was misinformed.

20. agaskew macrumors 6502

Relax, I'm only pulling your leg a bit, no offence ;)

I think you are a bit optimistic hoping for a free upgrade when the Mavericks release date is as vague as "this Fall". If you do get an upgrade voucher, more power to you.

21. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

My guess. Don't take it personal ;)

* For those who don't buy hardware, mavericks would cost $29.99
    * For those who buy current models they will have $10 discount, i.e. $19.99
    * For those who buy haswell models, mavericks would be free :D

22. paukivbashne macrumors member

that was sarcasm of course
    and you are a bit naive )
    but i guess lucky you!never had any scumers over paypal...trust me theres a lot of them.
    anyway why dont we wait and see what will come up of this ?

23. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

That's fine with me 20$ isn't bad and I might even sell mine if Haswell is all that much better and get one of those.

24. zipur macrumors 6502

Why not just tell him the truth. No.

25. ramram55 macrumors 6502

paypal is not going to let the scammers get away easily. They know every trick in their books.