Mavericks release?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by digitalove, Jul 29, 2013.

1. digitalove macrumors regular

I was doing a research trying to see how many beta of OS X there are before the final release.
    We have already the beta 4 for Mavericks and Apple started to send iBooks for Mac in the App Store.

So we can expect an early release of Mavericks?
    How many beta did Lion and Mountain Lion had before the GM?

Seems like OS X requires much less work than iOS this time (obviously because OS X Mavericks implemented only few things compared to the redesigned iOS..) so yeah, my bet is that it will come out before iOS 7.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Um...earlier than what? How can it be released earlier, if there is no release date for it to be earlier than....:confused:

(Bad English...but you get the point! :p)

3. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

I meant earlier than iOS 7, btw they said "Coming this fall"

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I think we will see mavericks at, or soon after, the Apple event where they announce the rest of the Mac refreshes. iOS 7 will probably not be far behind, assuming they will announce the iPhone 5S at the same event. But until that event date becomes known, we can all just wait and speculate

5. Serban Suspended

and it will be free for those who bought or will buy a haswell MAC ?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In the past free upgrades have been given to those who bought a new Mac (any sort) after the shipping date was announced. So those who have bought already will be paying to upgrade.

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

Given that we don't have a release on that Mac either, the answer may be yes or no. Typically the only guaranteed way to get the new OS for free would be if you got a Mac after the date the OS is announced.

And we really can't predict any OS being early than another since we don't have a release date on any of the OS.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would just wait for the Haswell Macs..if Mavericks is not installed on them it will probably be free when it is released.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm more interested in that it gets released when its stable and no major bugs. I'd rather not see apple rush this out the door just because of some artificial deadline.

10. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Exactly. As much as I am anticipating the release of Mavericks, I would rather wait as long as it takes to produce a stable operating system.

If that extends, then so be it.

11. daxiel22 macrumors member

daxiel22

I don't think so, but the GM version will arrive the same day of the keynote so...

12. pdjudd macrumors 601

Says who? GM versions have been announced outside of keynotes so I don't know what you are basing this off of. They can announce it at any time and are not bound to a keynote to do this.

13. Bear macrumors G3

What Keynote? There are no conferences at the right time where Apple would be the keynote speaker. There might be a press conference or Apple may just post an announcement as to when Mavericks is shipping.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

what keynote?

15. daxiel22 macrumors member

daxiel22

IMHO, I think we should see it in the mid-september keynote.

I bet on a WWDC style keynote, focusing in mac as well as mobile devices.

16. Bear macrumors G3

My question exactly.

Again I ask, what conference will Apple have a keynote speaker at? And would it be one that it would be appropriate for Apple to announce Macs at?

I can see Apple doing a press conference if they release enough updates at the same time, but Apple usually only announces press conferences a week in advance so we wouldn't know when the next one is unless it's in th e next week or so.

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Oh come on, give the guy a break. I agree it's a bit presumptious to mention some arbitrary keynote that has yet to be announced, but I think we can all agree that there WILL in fact be an Apple Keynote sometime in the next 2-3 months (with an extremely high chance that it will be in September). The potential announcements include the new iPhone(s), the new iPad, new iPods, new iTunes, release dates for iOS/OS X, Haswell MBP/iMac/Mac Mini, release date for Mac Pro's, and iWork X. Maybe not all of these will be announced at a keynote, maybe they will be split up into 2 keynotes, but the guy is clearly referencing the big iPhone keynote that will likely take place in Sept.

18. Bear macrumors G3

I think you missed the point that a keynote speech happens at a business convention. There are none that I know of where it would be appropriate for someone at Apple to be a keynote speaker nor one where it would make sense for Apple to introduce products during a keynote speech.

Apple would do a press conference if they have enough stuff to announce at once, but it would not be a keynote.

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I could be wrong, but I've always interpreted any presentation as a "keynote" in Apple-speak, likely due to Apple's Keynote presentation app. Regardless of terminology, I think arguing either way is a bit pedantic.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

A press conference is not a keynote. A keynote is the first presentation speech at a conference that sets the tone of the (usually several days long) conference. Apple uses the Keynote at WWDC to show products and services that the developers will be learning about to develop for. Apple allows the press to the keynote.

A press conference is just a "show" for reporters only and usually about an announcement of products and/or services (although it could be anything from earnings to expansions to....). Apple will call a press conference to show the fall products and it will only last a couple of hours and once over there are no other events (except maybe a show and tell).

21. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/apples-iphone-5-keynote-event-now-live-for-online-viewing/

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/13/watch-apples-full-iphone-5-keynote-presentation-now/

http://gizmodo.com/5942791/watch-apples-iphone-5-keynote-right-now

http://www.cultofmac.com/190498/you-can-now-download-apples-iphone-5-keynote-in-hd-via-itunes/

I suppose no one told Engadget, or numerous other tech blogs. Good try though.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

2 (or more) wrongs don't make a right. Blogs are notorious for mistakes. Manly because of speed and aggregation (or copying). Blog mistakes are often repeated many times because of the latter. How many times are terms like electrocution, could care less and literally misused in blogs?;)

I could not care less about the incorrect usage and was not the poster disputing the use. I was simply pointing out that keynote and press conference (event) are not synonyms.

23. daxiel22 macrumors member

daxiel22

Thank you, at least someone is following me.

I've always called "keynote" any Apple presentation.
    I'm a Spaniard so I can't argue against the use of the english language.
    I regret the misunderstanding.
    From now on, I will call it "Apple special event" if that is ok with you. :)

regards

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

You can call it whatever you like but many people call Apple events keynotes, and everyone knew what the guy meant.