Mavericks supported models of Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ashman70, Sep 6, 2013.

1. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Just released, these are the models that will run Mavericks.

MacBook (late 2008, 13-inch Aluminum and early 2009 or later)

2. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2009 models till discontinuation are all plastic.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I seriosuly think that Mavericks will be the last time MacBooks will be supported.

5. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I agree with you, Mavericks will more than likely be the last supported OS X version for MacBook. :(

Regardless, I will not get rid of my beloved alum MacBook until she passes on.

6. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

Too bad.

7. jeehyun macrumors newbie

Me too

Me too.
    This is one of reasons why I dislike apple.
    We can install windows 8 on even old netbook.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Now this is one thing that pissed me off. Windows 8 has the nice Metro interface for touch enabled computers. In the case of a MacBook with the glass trackpad, it works nicely.

However, with Apple's idiotic settings/restrictions, a Late 2008 can't use Windows 8 or even 64-bit versions of Windows. Bear in mind, you can work around the 64-bit limitation, but not the Windows 8 one.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Windows 8 has its own limitations. It requires a CPU is NX-bit. That excludes most Pentium 4's, even though they still have a few year left and run Windows 7 very well.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Pentium 4s are almost a decade old. It's about time they go. Besides, they are the worst thing ever (huge heat issues for a few GHz).

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Many people still use them. They weren't as bad as others make them out as being. They're quite hardy and able processors.

12. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Yeah, that last of the P4's revision is still heavily used in offices for people that just do Office/Email/Internet work. With 4GB of RAM and a good 7200RPM or SSD HDD they still are very good machines for what they are used for. It is the early versions that were gorrid. I remember my 1.6GHz P4 Dell being a dog against a 900MHz PIII Gateway,

I agree on the heat issues though, they are not energy efficient.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True, but at this point, they are reaching a limit in terms of performance. Sure it'll run Windows 8, but how well?

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most P4's can't run Windows 8, but the ones that can run it pretty well. On par with a Core or early Core2.

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

They still sell a lot of Pentium computers, but they are not Pentium 4's. They are dual core and just a different name for newer chips which are on part with core i3's and i5's.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Pentiums that are sold now are not based on the Pentium 4 NetBurst microarchitecture, but the Core used in the CoreDuo and Core2Duo CPUs.

17. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It is annoying, especially the Apple imposed 64-bit Bootcamp limitation. I mean yes it's easy to get around, I've done it countless times. But it's just pretty dumb. At the moment I've just gotten used to using Parallels because I only use it for a few Windows apps now vs playing games like I used to (Burnout Paradise, COD, HL2/Portal 2, etc.)

And Windows 8 *can* run on the MacBook, I've done it too just for the heck of it. Hunting down all the proper drivers and manually installing many of them is the fun part. I took a picture on instagram about 5 months back with it running.

http://instagram.com/p/YZPuCnSce0/

And the new Pentiums are based off of the Ivy bridge or Sandy Bridge platform. Basically a stripped down i3, no hyperthreading, turbo boost, and slower graphics amongst other things.

As to the Pentium 4, I have one of the later 775 socket Prescott models and it is running Windows 7 beautifully. As fast, if not faster, than XP. It's not a speed demon, but it works good for basic usage/office use. I also used Win 8 just for giggles for a while. It was faster, but I just cant stand the UI. Even if I do have to work with it all the time at work.