Mavericks w/PC 570 GTX on Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dark Goob, Oct 23, 2013.

  1. Dark Goob macrumors regular

    Dark Goob

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #1
    So I have a 2009 Mac Pro with an EVGA GTX 570 (the 1GB dual DVI one). I have had no issues with it on 10.8.x other than the standard black boot screen prior to login and inability to hold option at boot to select the boot volume.

    I'm a bit apprehensive updating to 10.9. Don't want to hose my ability to use this upgraded GPU. Thoughts?

    I found the upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8 was very smooth compared to the upgrade to 10.6 or 10.7. The only issues I really ran into were from 32-bit drivers for certain hardware, but as far as I'm aware, 10.9 does not represent a major shift in architectures, so it should be 99.9% compatible with everything that worked on 10.8... right?

    Just want to make sure before I make the plunge... thanks...

    -=DG=-
     
  2. G4DP macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    #2
    Had no trouble upgrading to 10.9 from 10.7.4 with my PC GT520, works just as it did in Lion.

    So far everything works well, if not slightly better. Same black screen just up to the last few seconds of loading and then straight to the desktop.
     
  3. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

    handheldgames

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    #3
    With a raid zero consisting of two PCI E – SSD, I gather you're Mac Pro will leave the new Mac Pro in the dust. For OpenCL performance, that's to be determined.

    Considering 7970s can be picked up on clearance these days for under $250, picking up a couple of those may be a good hedge investment.

    Most if not all benchmarks usually show that high-end consumer cards outperform professional cards. If possie,a proper tweak from the hackintosh crowd and Netkas will give our hardware the jump it needs.

    We will have to wait until December and the release of an OS X update.
     
  4. pastrychef macrumors 601

    pastrychef

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Location:
    New York City, NY
    #4
    What does any of that have to do with Dark Goob's question?
     
  5. combo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    #5
    Worked for me

    MacPro Early 2008 (3,1) with a PC GTX 670. Took the plunge to 10.9 and it's working just fine for me. In fact things feel much snappier, I'm a little surprised.
     
  6. Dark Goob thread starter macrumors regular

    Dark Goob

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #6
    Awesome, that sounds great. I guess the only thing left would be if my Digi 002 Rack will continue to function with the Avid 002 drivers that I have. The Avid site says that the uninstaller no longer works -- I'm guessing Apple is clamping down on the whole sandboxing thing.
     
  7. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

    jasonvp

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Location:
    Northern VA
    #7
    I have a Dave-modified GTX570, and Mavericks works just beautifully on it. I know that's not exactly what you asked, but from the OS' perspective, one GTX570 is the same as another. So I tend to doubt you'll have any issues.
     
  8. Macsonic macrumors 65816

    Macsonic

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2009
    Location:
    Earth
    #8
    @Dark Goob. For safety just make a clone of your main boot drive so if problems occur, you could easily revert to your old settings that's working fine.
     
  9. tripitz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2013
    #9
    What driver is everyone using in Mavericks? I just upgraded yesterday and have a GTX 680. The first thing that happened is the Nvidia display manager popped up saying my display driver was no longer valid, there isn't an updated one yet available, and it is switching to the OS driver. So far everything seems to work fine, except that I believe the fan on the video card is running a bit faster than it was before. I checked the Nvidia site today and did not see an updated driver.

    Will there be one? Anything I can do regarding the fan speed?

    Thanks.
     
  10. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto
    #10
    If i was using, and depending on, ANYTHING avid/PT I wouldn't consider upgrading until they say its supported.

    Clone your boot drive so you can go back to it, or install to a new drive if you have to try it.
     
  11. dage007 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2003
    #11
    Same issue here. Any fix yet?
     

Share This Page