Max Ram on a late 2007 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fanfzero, Nov 4, 2016.

1. fanfzero macrumors member

All I can find is outdated info, so, now that we can run unsupported systems (Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan) on old macbooks, what is the max ram I can put to my MacBook 3,1 (Late 2007, 64 bit, running El Capitan)? (And what's the reccomended max memory for the best performance?)

2. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I believe the official maximum is 4gb, but it is possible to run it with 6gb. (2gb + 4gb)
    My memory is a little hazy as I haven't used mine for a long time.

Edit, I think the main bottle neck in that MacBook would be the hdd. If you can get a ssd in there it will make the world of difference. I think the interface is a little limited, so it may not be worth putting a top end ssd in there. Either way it should be a very usable machine.

3. fanfzero thread starter macrumors member

That's it, I already have an ssd (huge difference) and 4 GB of ram, so I wanted to know if it would work a bit better with 6/8GB (I've heard 8GB gives some troubles)
    So the thing is, 4GB vs 6GB vs 8GB

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

5. fanfzero thread starter macrumors member

Because it's the only mac I have abd for what I use it is enough

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I know they are going on for ten years old, but they aren't actually that bad.
    Mine had a few new batteries, but if it wasn't the performance that made me replace it but the weight.
    I moved on to a 2010 base MacBook Air, but the two performed very similarly (once I had a ssd in the MacBook.)
    There is a surprising amount of life left in them. ( I am still using the air too, although it has mostly been replaced by an iPad)

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Mid 2007 MacBook 2,1 max RAM is 4GB

Late 2007 MacBook 3,1 max RAM is 6GB

8. fanfzero thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, any reccomendation in what 4GB module (for putting it with the 2GB module) should I buy?
    It's not a bad mac actually, I basically use it for college, but I had a Core2Duo on my Desktop PC (Windows) until 2014 and, except for gaming, it was nice.

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have always had good experiences with Crucial RAM. Lifetime warranty and always compatible.