iPhone X Max seems kind of stupid, unless you’re 90

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Checked it out in the store and all the icons seemed just blown up real big. Doesn’t seem like they’ve squeezed more in, just blown them up to giant size. Is this correct?

If so, it’s fine if your eyesight is shot, otherwise it’s just kinda dumb.

Reactions: KishanKissoon

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
jesus it's like some here are new to tech or something...apps don't just magically get updated to fit different size screens. It' certainly doesn't happen by the first day the freaking device is out.
[doublepost=1537583720][/doublepost]
Not even the home screen.
The home screen is no different to any previous plus size models size wise. Obviously they will look bigger on a bigger device. Doesn't take rocket science to know this is what happens.

icon wise they will always have the same amount of apps per row. This was never going to change.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
jesus it's like some here are new to tech or something...apps don't just magically get updated to fit different size screens. It' certainly doesn't happen by the first day the freaking device is out.
I remember previous upgrades where Apple changed the home screens to an extra row of icons at least. Surely Apple has had the device for a while. If they haven’t made tweaks that’s kinda pathetic

Reactions: Breezygirl

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I remember previous upgrades where Apple changed the home screens to an extra row of icons at least. Surely Apple has had the device for a while. If they haven’t made tweaks that’s kinda pathetic
Icons have never changed. It's always been the same amount.

If you don't like how apple does it then go to android. That's the beauty of choice.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Checked it out in the store and all the icons seemed just blown up real big. Doesn’t seem like they’ve squeezed more in, just blown them up to giant size. Is this correct?

If so, it’s fine if your eyesight is shot, otherwise it’s just kinda dumb.
Or unless you want to watch video at a reasonable size... or you want to get some actual work done on your phone... or if you want to be able to do photo edits on your phone without having to zoom in and out all the time...

And etc. and etc. and etc.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Sounds good to me. I’m only 40. Don’t even need glasses yet... knocks on wood.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Regardless of how large the icons seem to be, my guess is that someone who is actually 90 years old probably wouldn't still be using an iPhone anyway nor would they be interested in the huge size of the iPhone XS Max, since that would more than likely be too heavy to comfortably hold and handle......

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I purchased the Max strictly because of the larger screen for easier viewing. The other new features are a bonus but not necessary.
This. I found the X too narrow when viewing anything. Found it cumbersome to type also cause of the narrow screen. The Max in my opinion is huge but in a good way. Easy to read. Nice big pictures and artwork. As well as easier for me to type with.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Sounds good to me. I’m only 40. Don’t even need glasses yet... knocks on wood.
49 got another month, and my vision varies day to day right now. Looking forward to having the screen be easier to see!

Getting old can suck, but it happens to everyone... may you never be cursed with age related issues.
I'm 48 and been wearing glasses since 26. Should have been wearing them since I was a kid - just like my wife and two kids have. ;)

Progressive Transition lenses came about three years ago. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Regardless of how large the icons seem to be, my guess is that someone who is actually 90 years old probably wouldn't still be using an iPhone anyway nor would they be interested in the huge size of the iPhone XS Max, since that would more than likely be too heavy to comfortably hold and handle......
If I get to 90 and I’m not still using my iPhone? Horrors!!

(I mean, iPhone probably won’t be a thing even 20 years from now anyway, so...)

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
Not even the home screen.
Or Photos. .. and I’ve been looking forward to the X ‘Plus’ for a year. My reason for a big screen is video and photo editing. The size of image when editing is not much bigger on XSM versus the XS. Lots of wasted space ...seems due to the aspect ratio.

I’m still torn but XSM lost points today with me when I checked it out in person.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm 48 and been wearing glasses since 26. Should have been wearing them since I was a kid - just like my wife and two kids have. ;)

Transition lenses came about three years ago. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I’m (gasp!!) 54. I’ve worn glasses my whole life. My vision hasn’t changed significantly in over 30 years. The Max isn’t for old people. That’s absurd. I got one because I like the large screen for video and photography. Period. Last year I used an X. No trouble reading it. But it’s a bit too narrow in portrait mode.

Long story short, OP has too much time and not enough to think about.

Reactions: eyoungren

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Or Photos. .. and I’ve been looking forward to the X ‘Plus’ for a year. My reason for a big screen is video and photo editing. The size of image when editing is not much bigger on XSM versus the XS. Lots of wasted space ...seems due to the aspect ratio.

I’m still torn but XSM lost points today with me when I checked it out in person.
Apple is bound to optimize this over the next 12 months.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
Apple is bound to optimize this over the next 12 months.
It’s their app. I think it is what it is.
[doublepost=1537586269][/doublepost]
Maybe it’s just me but I am not bothered by the home screen as is. Bigger icons, smaller icons, another row of icons, it doesn’t make any difference when it comes to how I use my phone. I don’t even need the weather constantly showing like many people have been dying for for years. I guess I’m in the minority.
The differential (lack of) of photo size in Edit mode between XS & XSM surprised me. A lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.