Maximising to Almost Full Screen

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by p3ntyne, Jul 1, 2014.

1. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

As you may remember, holding shift while pressing the maximise key would maximise it to the entire screen except for the dock and menu bar (Windows style).

In Yosemite, pressing the maximise button makes it completely full screen, holding option makes it get bigger but holding option and shift has the same effect of pressing nothing at all (completely full screen.) Does anybody know of a workaround as I used this feature all the time?

2. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Which version of Mac OS X does that? I tried in Mavericks with Safari and Finder, but no matter which modifier keys I held down, the maximise button always triggered the same traditional behaviour.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

As far as I know, it has never done that, which is why Windows switchers have been complaining for years. The new Yosemite functionality (with full screen as the default operation) was probably done to appease the switchers.

4. p3ntyne thread starter macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Really? I always used to shift click the maximise button to get similar functionality to dragging the app window to the entire screen... Look it up - it says it everywhere, like here: http://tinyurl.com/buhr3ao

Anyway, it's not a huge deal - I might just start using full screen.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Of course app developers can do anything they want, but Apple's "OS X Human Interface Guidelines" states:

I have noticed that more and more apps seem to be treating the zoom button as a maximize button anyway, probably due to the Windows influence. But the guidelines continue:

6. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Should have told me 8 years ago... I never liked the zoom functionality.

Also because a lot of apps now display a single application frame, as opposed to various windows floating around. But yeah, this was a long awaited change in the world of OS X.

7. p3ntyne, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

p3ntyne thread starter macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

OK. I guess that makes sense. I'll just have to get used to it.

Sorry about that...

8. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I just use bettersnaptool and key commands. To maximize a window completely I just have it set as fn+cmd+up arrow.

9. p3ntyne thread starter macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Thx! I'll give it a try! Although, I must admit that I am starting to get used to the new way of working, using full screen when necessary.

10. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Never used the zoom function since it was extremely buggy in Safari, now that you mention it I just realized the bug is fixed in Mavericks! Oh well too late I guess, it's not like I'm going to start using it now...