May be getting a iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Feb 29, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

I know I said I would wait but I don't know anymore. I think people are right the larger size screen has a huge advantage.

Is there any reason I shouldn't ? I know the new iPad comes out in less than a month but it will be the 9.7 inch.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If you want it and have the spare money, just get it.

3. Quicklite macrumors regular

Wait until the March 21st announcement to see if there is any price adjustment?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There may be a price adjustment for the Air, but why would there be any price adjustment for the Pro?

5. Quicklite macrumors regular

If the 9.7 has 4x speakers, A9x & 2-4GB and lower screen res - I would find the appeal of the 12.3 to have diminished a bit.

6. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is the iPad Pro still worth getting if you won't use the pen or need to buy it ?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't use the Pencil, but I find the iPad Pro plenty useful. It totally depends on what you want to use it for.

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

If you think people are right about the screen size advantage, then what would the Pencil have anything to do with that?

It really comes down to wanting the bigger screen or not.

For me personally I never owned an iPad until the Pro. I always felt the 9.7" was always too small and once something bigger was available it finally gave me reason to jump on owning an iPad.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For me, the 9.7 has served me well. And I think Apple was wise to wait until now to release a 12 inch iPad, because any heavier and this is too heavy to use comfortably as a tablet. So if they had released such a big tablet before they were able to get the weight down, that wouldn't have worked. Also, as much as people complain about there being not enough "pro-level" features for the iPad Pro, iOS 9 does have many features that work best with iPP, such as split-screen and shortcuts for external keyboards. So they got the weight down, has a mature operating system that supports productivity tasks, so it was finally the right time to release a larger tablet. And now that I've gotten used to iPP, I don't see myself going back to the 9.7. The mini, I might get to use as a e-reader. In fact, mini4 is so light I would seriously consider replacing my iPhone with a mini, if not for the Apple Watch not working with iPads.

10. AliMacs macrumors 6502

I wrote a response in another thread...

But i waited about a few months before I decided to get an LTE IPP. Overall, it has replaced my rmbp for 99% of the tasks I do daily. I would not go down to the Air 2's screen size because split Windows with the IPP is just perfect. The overall size is substantially larger but it's manageable - if I can take my rmbp 13" anywhere then this IPP is much easier. I also purchased the pen and I can't draw well even if someone were to threaten my life but I use it for calligraphy/practicing writing Japanese.

Overall if you are looking for that laptop replacement iPad, the IPP is it. LTE is the icing if you can opt for that. Overall I am super satisfied...until the next best thing comes along haha :)

The 9.7" is too small for anything multitasking/replacing your laptop UI experience. I am use to this 13" screen now it seems the Air 2 I have is like a mini!

11. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

From what I heard Apple wanted to release the Pro in 2014 along side the Air 2, but didn't because they felt the power wasn't there yet and/or the screen tech wasn't ready for the Pencil yet. I don't think weight would be much different between then and now. It's the same design as the Air/Air 2, just bigger.

I have to kinda laugh at those who complain about the Pro tag on it and not having "enough professional features". So many take the Pro tag so literal, when it is simply nothing more than a tag to separate the higher spec'd model. They've done it for years with MacBooks. Many companies also do it. The complaints are already rampant about the brand new rumour that the dual lens/more storage (rumoured 256gb) setup of the iPhone 7+ Will be called the iPhone 7 Pro. Remarks of "an iPhone isn't professional tool" or "pro photographers won't buy this phone". Once again taking a moniker name too literal.

12. Leo90 macrumors 6502

If you want it exclusively for media consumption, go for the 9.7 inch iPad. I had an iPad Pro and I came back to the Air 2 as I couldnt justify the price paid for the iPad Pro, which is a nice product but with some annoying flaws such as screen quality and slow charging. The Air 2 is still a beast!

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The iPP does charge slower than the Air, but screen quality seems as good as the Air, and to my eyes seems better. This might have something to do with me having bad eyesight, so bigger looks better.

14. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks this helps a lot!

15. JawneeWin macrumors 6502

As a college student, the size of the iPad Pro was not the only determining factor for purchasing it. If anything, the Apple Pencil played a bigger role. Prior to the Apple Pencil, it was a hassle to write notes with other styluses out there. The Apple Pencil is very accurate and it feels just like writing with a pen (aside from writing on glass, which I had to get used to.) So like others have posted, it all comes down to whether you want a larger iPad or not, and what the use is for. I personally highly recommend this for any students deciding about purchasing an iPad Pro. You'll save money on buying eTextbooks anyways, so after two semesters or so, it definitely pays for itself. I save my back from the heavy textbooks as well :D

16. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

Am going too get the iPad pro Apple pencil is a 100% must have for me has I like too color and I think I will find the pro a lot more fun then the LTE air 2 right now the iPad pro will all so be my main computer ! Can't wait am all so getting The LTE one from AT&T but I will pick the 14.99 plan has I have no plans too be taking it out of the house all see other reason am getting it on AT&T is I will be doing the next plan wish is all so the only way I can get the iPad pro right saveing up my $ will take a long time I all so have my iPad Air 2 on next with the 3Gb plan and that is my go to go tablet and my main PC in tell I have the $ too get the pro I will love panting web browsing on my new iPad pro my air 2 will be come a movie tablet and my go to go tablet why the pro will take over many of my day to day tasks !

17. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I just went all in on the iPad pro. So far so good. I weighed the pros and cons of using a tablet as my main computer and I decided that to the pro checked most of the boxes I need it to.

My intention last week was to get the pro. I sold my mb air to help fund the purchase of the pro. Once I realized that my mb air had not been touched in 2 months due to my iPad 2, I figured it was time to go for the pro to actually replace both my iPad 2 and my mb air. I went to BB to purchase the ipp but at the last second, I panicked and got the 12 inch mb instead since I was nervous about having just an iPad as my main computer. I liked the 12 inch mb, but the keyboard and overall cramped feel of the device made me decide that it wasn't right for me. I returned it today and got the ipp, what I initially wanted to do.

So far it's a much better experience than the air 2. It's really big, but split view is so much better now. Time will tell but as of now, my only computer is the iPad pro.

18. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

So wait wait I wanna see if I got this right...if you want an iPad for media consumption, go with the one with the smaller screen and the crappy speakers. Am I getting this right? hahahaha

This is why these forums are a mixed bag. Some people man. Some people...

19. Leo90, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016

Leo90 macrumors 6502

I am sorry, but 800 pounds for a device which ends up being used as any other regular iPad (which I believe is the case of the OP) is kind a waste of money. By being used as any other iPad I mean, media consumption, reading emails, casual web browsing and some text processing and video editing. Even Apple knows that and that is why they try to sell it mainly as a productivity device. iPad Pro is really nice, but it is definitely not a good bang for the buck...yet.

20. Newtons Apple, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I seldom used my pencil after the novelty wore off. You will find you fingers work quicker and you always have them on you!o_O

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Overall, its just a bigger iPad, but yet there does seem to be some advantages that the size brings. Since I'm not following the iOS apps as closely as I should, are there more "pro" apps available?

I can see getting one for my wife and kids, especially for our up and coming vacation where the IPP will be a nice tablet for them to share either on the airplane, or at the hotel (though I think they'll fight over who has it on the airplane).

It does look much larger then my SP3 for some reason, even though the dimensions are that much different.

22. keviig macrumors 6502

If you can accept the massive motion blur the IPP has, it's a great device! I couldn't, so i returned mine. The response time of the display (GtG) is way too high, causing everything to blur when moving. Actually scrolling webpages over longer periods of time caused strain to my eyes, something i've never experienced with iPads, iPhones, Macs or Windows PC's.

23. Leo90 macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I meant by "display issues".

24. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

25. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

I guess I'm fortunate enough that my eyes are not good enough to suffer from noticing this issue. I've had mine since launch and not had such a problem. I've got both the pencil and smart keyboard (birthday presents), and don't use the pencil too much though it's cool to have... I'm not an artist, but would definitely use it heavily if I got back in position to take regular notes. Having the keyboard changes it even more for me where I'll likely use my MBP even less. The screen size and weight are at an ideal level, and I wouldn't go back to an Air or Mini (which I had and loved).