maybe a silly magsafe question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hockeyislife91, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Hockeyislife91 macrumors member

Do you guys leave your mag safe plugged into the wall even though your MBP is not attached at the other end?

2. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Its more of an energy concern than a deteriorating charger concern. Leaving plugs plugged into the wall draws energy even though it may not be plugged in on the other end. Plug things out when you can. Better for the world. :eek:

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

+10000
    ;):):):):)

4. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Really?...funny I just went down stairs and grabbed my Fluke amp meter...clamped it on the power cord and it showed less than 1/10th of an amp current draw with Macbook not plugged in. So if your concerned about electric use I would say it's non existent.

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

oh good, that guy almost scared me, i have several chargers plugged in my room that are in idle...

6. svenn macrumors 6502

I think that's the point. Many people assume there is zero draw when a plug stays plugged in. You just proved that there is energy being wasted even when nothing is connected. Albeit in tiny amounts, imagine how it adds up when everyone does it.

7. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

Just a heads up that MagSafe adapters left plugged-in are a potential safety hazard to young children (babies/toddlers) who may place them in their mouths. And potentially dangerous to pets as well.

8. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

thats just an obvious. infact if you have todlers in the house then you should cover the outlets.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That's as much as 12 watts completely wasted.

10. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I'm buying another magsafe just to plug it in next to my original one...

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I keep one plugged in all the time at my desk at home but I do kill all the sockets when I`m not there.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

And one more thing that is minor pain in the ass in this life...lol...My adapter is usually plugged in with my phone charger and various other things commonly known as a "rats nest". Trust me I hate waking up, throwing my mac in my back, brushing my teeth, etc. enough Ill pay the 1/10th of an amp it draws.

13. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

You know when I was a kid and I stuck my wet fingers in a light socket....hurt like hell and I never did it again. Hmmm maybe this should be a requirement for all toddlers. Also last time my cat chomped on a light cord he learned his lesson.....wont go near a cord now...LOL

14. snakelda macrumors 6502

I got shocked turning on a AC Cooler a long time ago and damn,never did I want to plug in anything after that!