MAYBE STUPID QUESTION: Can Iphone 4 be unlocked? jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdaniel, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I been reading the titles and I dont see much on it so just wondering if I can get it unlocked? Not so bothered about the jailbreaking at the moment. But i am going to be using it overseas with a non att sim

2. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

There is no known jailbreak for the iphone 4 as yet so you will not be able to unlock without jailbreaking first!!

3. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Your own title says "iPhone 4" instead of iOS4 and it can be jailbroken and unlocked in some cases, however iPhone 4 ( the new phone ) cannot be jailbroken nor unlocked at the moment

Try to search or just look at this forum's "iPhone Hacks" section, it's all about these two things

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

The firmware is jailbreakable on certain 3G and 3GS devices. The exploit in 4 hasn't been released to the public as some claim to have found a way.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The device was released yesterday. Do you have any idea the work that is involved in finding an exploit that can be used to jailbreak a phone? Who knows if they've even been able to dump the bootrom yet, much less start to look for an exploit. You're talking hundreds or thousands of hours of work by volunteers to jailbreak and unlock the new phone. Give them a chance. :rolleyes:

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, some folks are just so naive (or impatient) :rolleyes:

After all it took over 12 hours for AT&T to figure out how to activate them (apparently the accounts did not get updated correctly with new phone IMEA and sim numbers)

I too want to jailbreak my new iPhone 4's, but will use them as is and wait patiently.

8. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I didnt know that the software was different in the Iphone4, I know it had diff features but I had thought it was all based on the same thing but apparently not... yeah according to a previous posted will need to jailbreak to unlock so I guess I have a paperweight LOL because I am going to be using it overseas.

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Why dod you want to jailbreak something that is broken already?

10. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

That's a really good point! Maybe he won't be sing it to make phone calls!

Anyway, I'm sure people have seen this on twitter Doesn't look like were gonna get one anytime soon!

geohot In Berlin where there are no Apple stores. USA in world cup! No plans for new jailbreak. Stop asking.
    1 day ago

11. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Uh....there's still the DevTeam. Just because geohot is not doing anything doesn't mean there won't be anything released in the future.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

People need to relax nobody gets rich Jailbreaking. part of the reason Geohot posted what he said he is sick of people bugging the crap out of him! if you got the mad skills to Jailbreak then go for it if not relax! enjoy your new iPhone I won't have mine for at least 3-4 weeks.

13. Alex Hobbs macrumors member

Whereas I agree its only been a day and they need time, the iPad jailbreak was out within 24 hours ;)

14. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

my iphone is useless without a jailbreak as i use tmobile. i am still using a 3g because of this even as i have a brand new iphone right in front of me. the entire point is that without jailbreaking, we cannot even use the basic features of our devices.

they really should charge maybe $1 per jailbreak. they could make a lot of money off it and it would speed up development times and give financial incentive for teams to crack the code asap.

15. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I dont think donations will increase the process, I dont see how money can speed up someones time and effort on something like this.

This would also be a disaster cause theres already enough idiots giving money to scam sites claiming to have non-existent unlocks and jailbreaks although the Dev-Team stresses that they don't take donations, it would just increase scamming since people already will give money to hear what they want to hear.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You have absolutely no idea about jailbreaking. They could charge $100 per phone and it would not speed it up.

It's all new hardware running all new firmware. It will likely get done, but take some time.

Whoever bought a new iPhone 4 expecting to be able to use it on T-Mobile, is taking a risk.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well tell you what learn how to start jailbreaking and unlocking your phone. Sorry seeing all the post here with people that think the Dev-team and Geohot owe them a jailbreak asap drives me nuts. honestly I wouldn't blame them if they quit tomorrow. like dhlizard they don't owe you anything and honestly you shouldn't expect it. since there are only a handful of people that know how or look for exploits. and wow dollar like people wouldn't still rip off the dev-team and torrent there work. Sorry Dev-team doesn't want your money!

Update seems it will be a while before the JB/Ul comes out they need to find new exploits again! read this! link! http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-4-unlock-jailbreak-update/

18. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, the MuscleNerd tweeted that they were already working on an i4 jailbreak, they mentioned the unlock but they said it was "possible."

All in all, it just comes down to "well see when it happens."

19. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

its a paperweight as in.. like its no use till its unlocked? like I mentioned AM OVERSEAS! LOL how can it be a real paperweight now...its only been what 1 day LOL and its with USPS on the way to where I am right now. Guess I am ****ed until someone finds a solution... which I guess is not a big deal...just a matter of time :)

20. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Btw when I get a sealed iphone4, I take it out, a friend that works at an apple store says it needs to be activated? Is that something that I can do at home or is that something that needs to be done at the store? I am not quite sure what activation this refers to.

Also if I dont have a SIM in the phone can I use wifi and other features like cam,video, ipod etc.

21. bryanhayn macrumors newbie

To activate, plug it in to iTunes. It can be done at home.

I don't know about your sim card question.

22. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Couldn't agree more for what you said.

No one should buy an iphone if they aren't using AT&T and is waiting for JB. It's plain stupid saying that 'someone' will come out with an JB/unlock because they do NOT need to release it. They are doing it because they enjoy the work rather than owing the community a JB/unlock.

23. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I am overseas it was a gift, I didnt go out of my way to get one. Useless comment do not serve the forum in anyway. And I wasnt rushing anyone for anything I was just merely asking to clarify whats out there

24. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah ok so no big deal then, anyone know about the SIM card question if not I will start another thread. THANKS

25. rtc872 macrumors member

Without a sim it will only give you a screen that lets you make emergency calls only.