Maybe the new MacBook Pro will have a fingerprint reader

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applpple, Jul 31, 2013.

1. applpple macrumors newbie

Maybe that's what's taking so long. We already know the new iPhone will have one.

2. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

A security slot would be something more useful... Actually, make a living stealing rMBPs became an interesting option for amateur thieves... :D

3. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Yeah, um NO!

No please - no, this sort of stuff is for Microsoft PCs - we're talking Mac here right? Mac is superior on the art of minimalism. It is the future common people, the more technology the less and less security face reality, and just play along now give them all your money :)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Well..there was an episode on Mythbusters showing that fingerprint readers can be defeated if you can get the owner's fingerprint on something.

I don't think the fingerprint scanners would be worth it in terms of reliability and cost.

5. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

It can still be minimalistic if Apple can develop a fingerprint on the trackpad seamlessly. Not that I'm saying I want it, but it certainly can be possible.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Don't care about minimalism. For the price of a new mac, I really want the most power and ports and features I can get in a machine that size. Apple seems to be offering less laptop for a higher price than they used to... like rMBP, no upgradability...

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

If they could make the whole trackpad a fingerprint reader, so you'd just put your thumb anywhere on the trackpad, then THAT would be neat! A real killer feature!

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What benefit would this have? And please don't say "for logging in."

9. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

What benefits do any fingerprint readers have other than that? @_@
    Access your criminal file maybe?

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Thanks for confirming that there's absolutely no use for one then.

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

While people dont need it, it could be useful. I wouldnt mind a seamless reader underneath the trackpad. But with the icloud keychain and all it does seem kind of pointless to have a fingerpring login when its all already saved on the computer.

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Yeah, they should also have face recognition via the camera? When the rumors about retina this and retina that - I thought there were retina scans installed hah!!!

----------

Yes. I agree with you for sure on the fact that lately the big shiny, crispy red fruit has been producing REALLY over priced thin, light gadgets they dare to call Pro, while not living up to powerful guts and upgradability nor longevity - those things are already starting to crash, first the display, duh, what were they thinking with that display? Now the scorching heat and etc etc.

13. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Securing and unlocking the Keychain via fingerprint scan would be precisely the thing!

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

My ThinkPad has a fingerprint reader and it`s an extremely useful addition to the system, especially if you are locking & unlocking the system frequently, however your not going to see one on a Mac it`s not Apple`s style they are about thin & light, form over function, cool if you will, not additional functionality...

15. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Makes sense actually. As it is now, people could technically get on my computer while Im away and use all the passwords on my keychain to gain access. A scanner would probably be an extra step, but if its quick and easy, I'd welcome it.

16. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Remove pizza sauce from your fingers... :D

17. jagooch macrumors 6502

jagooch

This would be great. Being a multi-tasker, I often will start doing something on my Macbook, go to work on something else for 15min to an hour, and then return to continue what I was doing. Having to type my password in every time or run a program that prevents the computer from locking( much easier than going into settings to disable it ) , is a pain. If I could just swipe my finger to unlock it, it would be a huge relief!

I often disable the password lock on my phone for the same reason. Which I is why I look forward to getting the iPhone 6/6s ( my next iPhone from the 5 ) which will have it.

For people who are prone to forget their computer/phone in public areas, they could set up another security vector by requiring both a pin(something you know ) and a fingerprint scan(something about you) to access the device, application, or information.

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

please NSA take my fingerprint so the Yolos have a "cool" feature

19. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I can't imagine how Apple would be able to swing a fingerprint reader in an innovative and unique way in a laptop. Also why?
    I think what's more likely is a Retina scanner. All Apple would have to do is upgrade the iSight camera to something really awesome and invent the software. Cut two carrots with one knife it could be said.

20. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

21. nigameash macrumors 6502

22. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this idea just hyper unsecure? A password is something only I know, a fingerprint is exclusive to me. Anyone can knock on my phone and open my computer...

23. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

But how would they know that knocking on your phone would wake up your Mac?

24. mashinhead macrumors 68020

The power of observation. I imagine this would be something you do on a regular basis. Say at work. Daily, in front of coworkers.

25. nigameash macrumors 6502

My phone is on me all the time. As long as it's not lying around, you should be safe.