Maybe Vista Is Better? I've Had It With Safari 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pandaboots, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

Does anyone know if Apple is planning to fix this POS browser? Is it a Leopard issue or both? It's making me cranky on Christmas Eve...sigh. If it isn't crashing, it's producing ?'s everywhere or playing hard to get with my 2wire router. It appears that certificates are the issue because when Safari does crash (about 5-10x per day on me) a certificate warning usually pops up with 2wire being the culprit. It's a DSL modem so, I don't know if hooking an airport express to the 2wire router would help things? Anyway, I would never NEVER NEVER recommend a Mac to anyone until this curse of simply being able to surf the internet without headaches is cured. On a sidenote..a new sony in the house running Vista - pristine record on the internet..My iMac is a joke compared to the new Vista PC...and although both are hooked up wirelessly, the Mac is much much closer...man, embarassing to say the least.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Try using a better web browser like Camino or Firefox. :rolleyes:

3. termina3 macrumors 65816

Perhaps you should try another browser, like the awesome Firefox.
    Edit: Beat to it!

Check it out at http://www.firefox.com. You'll love it for its customizability and potential for simplicity. You can even standardize your browser over multiple platforms (I know, Safari is available for Windows now), allowing you to have the same internet experience across multiple machines.

4. RichardJohn macrumors member

See the "Do All OS X Browsers suck?" thread...

I'm using Vista more than OS X at the moment. IE7 hasn't crashed once.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You'd switch OS just because the built in web browser does not fit your needs? Heh. Use a different one. Firefox, Camino, Shira and Opera are some popular choices. Use one of them instead.

6. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

never said I'd switch OS. I just find it insanely unacceptable that something as simple as a web browser would produce so many headaches, especially after being so stable for many years. I really like Safari a lot though, maybe its time to look for a new browser :(

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

I really like Safari, and it works quite well for me. Almost never crashes (nothing like the 3beta days) and can use almost any website (the only one I came across recently would only let me use it on IE, on Windows... so nothing was getting through that) and I have no problems at all.

However, I understand that not everyone has the same experiences. And as such, try Camino (firefox engine, but with a more os x fitting skin) or Firefox 3 beta.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I was going to say that too. Internet Explorer sucks, doesnt mean people ditched Windows :rolleyes:

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Don't know what your problem is with Safari. Mine never quits, I have no problems with any websites, or certificates, etc.

Some people have had problems lately with Safari quiting, but with the new security update of last week understand that their issues are now gone.

Safari, for me, works very fast on Leopard.

10. mpw Guest

You know you're using one wrong don't you?

If you write a new one can you make it save sessions, I'll pay you the same I paid for my current one... f*ck it, I'll pay double!

11. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

Safari is better...

The issue exists on your machine, and it could be a several items that conflict its configuration, sometimes its just a awkward plugin that prevents you from sailing flawlessly, sometimes it could be two who knows, I've been using Safari since it came out, and have had a small amounts of issues with it all negligible, nothing that could not be fixed by trashing it and installing a fresh version, in Mac OS X its as easy as that, except when you come over to the PC side since deleting and uninstalling programs is an enigmatic event. If users feel swayed by the performance of a browser than its time to learn a different approach to assistance specially from a public forum, outrage will never win the day but objectivity will, I would suggest avoid using the forums as a venting medium and more as a place where there are people who may be capable of helping you out, if you are already convinced that there is no solution to your issue then you will find none.
    My deep advice is simply to state the configuration of your system, what are the symptoms and what solutions have you tried, but if you begin your request by stating that Safari is a "POS" then what you get is antagonism and resentment because a lot of people use it devotedly, and some may already have a solution for your issue but would be recalcitrant in providing an answer, its like this: if I go to your favorite mall and I start yelling "dude,your girlfriend is a jerk" in order to bring out a complaint about her then what possible solution would I get? how cooperative would you be in addressing the matter? state the problem,symptoms etc then await for a solution sans the outrage.

12. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

thanks to most of the respondents. Apparently their is an issue with Safari that many people seem to be having and Apple needs to work out. It really seems that a lot of Apple's upgrades lately have been real buggy, not just Safari.

13. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

I agree...

Overall Safari is not bad, and I believe it will become stable enough soon, I have been reading posts not just from Macrumors but also from the Apple support forums as well and there's been a lot of input on them, Im glad some have found solutions to complex problems with not just Safari but with Leopard overall. There are several components that have marring the new cat: 1)The connectivity issue both wired and wireless, 2)the firewall glitches, 3)sleep issues including awaking and putting to sleep, 4) update crashes, 5) unresponsive apps. 6) The inability of System Prefs app. to retain settings and the Disc App to actually repair permissions and not just modify them etc, 7) Corruption of keychains and old caches that affect system performance. Some issues are tied together specially the connectivity one is tied in with the firewall and it comes down to simple configurations fixes that really make a difference.

14. djellison macrumors 68020

Nonsense, just read these forums, LOTS of people are having trouble with Safari quitting on them.

Doug

15. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I don't have any problems with Safari, it works as good as Safari 2 ever did.

16. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Honestly how hard is it to install Firefox? I've never had problems with Firefox on PC or on Mac

17. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

yes...

I did not say the issue does not exist, the issue exists on several machines but a lot of users are not experiencing this either, the question becomes on how to obtain assistance to the problem. Safari according to his claim is a "POS" just because his configuration is buggy, it does not mean Safari is, its an excellent browser and its the approach to obtaining solutions that can be modified. I alluded the issue of Safari under unresponsive apps. I reworded the posts so please read again.

18. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

Safari is the only browser I use. Never had a single problem with it.

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm pretty anti-leopard - that said - Safari is one of the things I didn't have any issues with. I don't think it has crashed yet. Safari 2 on Tiger was fine as well. Never used Safari 3 on Tiger though...

Now Safari on my iPhone - VASTLY different story, I expect to crash - and have stopped using it entirely.

20. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

21. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Fwiw

Apple released a software update to fix some of the issues. I know my Safari worked better after the update, and I will say, Safari has crashed only maybe once since upgrading to 3. My issues are with slowness loading pages, I figured out changing the cookies setting helped a lot. But I have been using Camino for years and so far it has been hard to beat.

I give Safari breaks every so often but I just find myself coming back to Camino all the time. I wish Camino would support Safari's features, particularly the integration with Dictionary.

Camino

22. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

What I meant to post...

Is that several users have found solutions to Safari issues, and Im sure many have not, or the fixes have not worked with their configurations, I have been using OS X since 10.0. and all iterations have had issues, but fixes have been made to the browser, for example the Repair permissions fix started mainly in Panther, and it fixed a lot of issues and not just Safari. The main discussion here is not just to acknowledge the issue, but to properly address it, I can give you a fine example, in one thread I read that some one had a Safari problem, the responder suggested that under the inspector box he checked the "open under rosetta" box, the person did and it went well, this did help his problem. that of course entails that he has an intel mac and that the same fix is not going to work for a ppc mac, capishe?

23. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

Im running Leopard...

But its been running through an external USB Sata drive to be fully tested, the first couple of hours it was buggy as a dirty kitchen, but when I started applying the fixes then it started to stabilize enough to be used on a daily basis. I learned when I upgraded from Jaguar to Panther that I needed a better method of upgrading major OSs, so I have been using external drives to test them before I would completely install it on my main drive, its very counter-productive to install right away, you cannot let the hype sway your logic. When I upgraded to Jaguar I upgraded until 10.2.2, when I upgraded to Panther it was at 10.3.4, when I upgraded to Tiger it was at 10.4.4, and since then I have vouchsafed my files and my system, not that big crashes have not occurred, but I have managed to forestall the impact of a big crash or an unresponsive system etc. And although I've been running Leopard for the last couple of days its only been recently that my network settings have been configured properly, and when I reboot back to Tiger it seems a little less brilliant than before like all other times I have upgraded so don't knock it till you try it. but Tiger is as stable as a rock and I wont be installing Leopard on my main HD any time soon until something persuades me to completely do so. So to answer the initial question of "maybe Vista is better" that may be a possibility, you would need to try it, Im sure of what I can recommend, but if you decide to stay in the Mac land you can be sure that someone will come out with solutions eventually, if not here maybe in some other forum, there's never a lack of advisors out here.

Attached Files:

• USB.jpg
      USB.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
  24. TheStu macrumors 65816

I never had 'problems' running firefox on os x... but it is slow, does not match the OS, fails to utilize most of what the OS has to offer (OS X has a built in dictionary and by extension, spell-checker, firefox uses its own. OS X has the keychain, firefox uses its own thing) I prefer how Safari handles downloads, and how safari handles tabs. And the inquisitor plugin simply rocks my socks.

25. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

Anyway...

I want to wish all here a Merry, Merry Christmas and I hope Santa brings happiness and bug-fixes, Im sure we can all spend a little more time with our families than arguing over Safari's nuances. Safe holidays and we will discuss further soon. Ciao!