Mazda Still Planning to Implement Support for CarPlay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mazda is planning to add CarPlay and Android Auto support to its lineup of cars and SUVs according to an announcement made at a launch for its upcoming 2017 CX-5 (via Cars.com).

There's no word on when CarPlay will be added to Mazda vehicles, nor is there info on which vehicles will be the first to support CarPlay, but Mazda spokesperson Jacob Brown said the feature "should be retroactively upgradeable onto all Mazda Connect systems with a potentially minimal hardware addition needed."

[​IMG]

Mazda Connect has been available in Mazda vehicles since 2014, which, coincidentally, is the year that Mazda first pledged support for CarPlay. Mazda has been listed as a CarPlay partner since shortly after CarPlay first debuted, but it has yet to release a CarPlay-compatible vehicle.

For a couple of years after CarPlay was announced, availability was highly limited as it required the cooperation of both automobile makers and third-party hardware companies, but as of late 2015, CarPlay availability has expanded rapidly.

Apple's CarPlay platform is now available in more than 200 2016 and 2017 vehicles from a range of manufacturers including Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, and more.

Article Link: Mazda Still Planning to Implement Support for CarPlay

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

3. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

They keep saying that....I bought the car in anticipation and heard nothing after!

4. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

It would be nice to have it but I do like the stock system too. Love my cx-5 and bought it for features other than the infotainment system. Again though it would be a great addition.

5. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

6. RyanFromQA macrumors member

RyanFromQA

On Mazda's end it might be due to differing requirements. Mazda's current touchscreens disable when the car is underway, forcing you to use the knob/joystick thing in the center console to control the screen. CarPlay surely requires an always on touch screen, and Mazda probably doesn't want to enable what they see as a safety risk.

7. Someyoungguy macrumors regular

The Mazda unit is Linux based and is already highly customizable using widely available hacks. I used one to enable the touch screen while the car is moving (because it also blocked changing the Nav destination). I'm not sure I want to give that up for CarPlay (new releases could invalidate existing hacks).

8. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

Very true, but I just put the infotainment system in service mode, disable the speed restriction and now have all access all the time. Granted I'm in the minority of being able to do this.

9. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

The dated Carplay design will suit the Mazda dated design.
    Make that a date!

10. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Mazda being linux based has nothing to do with it. I think it's more likely what you alluded to, and what @RyanFromQA expressly said; disabling touch interface while moving. The reason I say linux has nothing to do with it is Honda's entertainment systems run on Android... originally ICS (may be updated by now). CarPlay and Android Auto are simple interface overlays that are powered by the phone not the car. The integration allows CP and AA to use the car's touch interface.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    Let's hope you don't get into an accident where there's a question of fault. Some enterprising lawyer in conjunction with a creative claims adjuster will just love you.:)

Unrelated: Car snitching. It's one of the reasons I prefer a more analog vehicle. The amount of info that can be gleaned about your driving habits is scary.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Off topic:Mazda surprises me they stay around. A recent report in my City (Fairly large) was stating how Mazda was falling behind in the automotive market where they dropped behind Kia recently. In the years past, Mazda was doing great with the Speed Series, but of course this is purely a one eyed observation, but I see less and less of Mazda's on the roadway. And I'm a huge car aficionado that follows the major players, and I don't see Mazda as one of them. Strictly my opinion, even though they make a reliable vehicle.

12. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

Sad because they seem interested in The actual experience of driving and make some fun vehicles. The rest offer sporty looks with slush for suspension and anything else.

13. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Not sure if this is specific to a certain market but in the U.S they've been getting plenty of reviews and usually in Top3 and Top5 on multiple car magazines...even the Top Gear guys rave about Mazda's cars all the time.

14. ikramerica macrumors regular

Our 2015 CX5 GT head unit was so bad it drove me nuts. iPhone integration was awful, nav awful.

My wife hated the car for other reasons too. Glad we don't have it any more.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I love Top Gear. Mazda makes great cars and the Speed 6 is a sleeper car that flies. And as far as falling behind Kia, to what extent and exactly how that's measured in terms of sales, I don't know. If I can locate that article, I will post it. And Mazda also has a smaller line up compared to Toyota and Honda, which can contribute to seeing less of what actually is on the roadway today.

16. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Yeah their line-up is small compared to Toyota for sure but Toyota's line up has been too much for SUVs even if we exclude the Lexus.

P.S: Grand Tour (Top Gear guys' new show) is excellent! check it out if you haven't.

17. dwman macrumors 6502

dwman

I have a 2014 CX5 so I hope this can be implemented for me without too much difficulty.

18. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

If they do implement it, I am curious what the cost would be because it sounds like it will be a minor hardware revision. I don't see why Mazda is so weird about touchscreen access while driving. My wife's 2017 Forester has access to the touchscreen at anytime, except navigation. If Mazda is charging a few bills for an upgrade, no thanks. I think $50 would be fair. And if for some reason it doesn't require a hardware revision, then I'll just download the firmware and do it myself. Speaking of, time to go and update my system to 59.00.441A.

19. Munky macrumors 6502

Teach me!

20. atmenterprises macrumors 6502

This really added to the discussion.

21. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Backwards upgradable... Hear that @Honda?!

There are many customers out there w/ 2016 #DisplayAudio but no #CarPlay because you gave the impression that you were going to do firmware updates.

You really let your customers down Honda!

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Mazda literally lost a car sale to me because of the lack of CarPlay support. We were on the fence between a Mazda and a Honda and Honda's CarPlay support was the clincher.

23. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Glad to hear it might finally make it on newer vehicles. I've really enjoyed my 2010 CX9 and would've at least considered another when it's time to upgrade but CarPlay and Android Auto are now must haves in whatever I get. I have to have a 3 row SUV/crossover to accommodate my family so nice to see another option added to my list---not a ton of great choices as it was.

24. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

25. Cankoda macrumors regular

Cankoda

I live in Canada and I see quite the opposite, tons of Mazdas on the roads here