Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I live in Canada and I see quite the opposite, tons of Mazdas on the roads here

That very well may be. I'm not speaking for all area's, more specifically the City/State I reside in. It was more of a generalized statement.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Personally I love my 2017 Mazda 6. I thought about whether CarPlay was important or not but decided the car was much better. Hopefully they'll retroactively update the cars as it will be nice to have the option.

Dated designs? Someone hasn't looked at a Mazda in the last few years. The MX5 RF is awesome and the updated 6 is really good; it looks much better than other sedans.

I keep reading that CarPlay is a bit buggy so maybe it's good that it's not in there yet? The stock infotainment system works well enough. The navigation system is pretty good. It's great seeing the stuff available on the next three exits, too, with distance.

Reactions: Lazy

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Strangely, the picture of the head unit is from a Honda!
Do we happen to know who is the supplier for the head unit and tuner for Mazda?
They might be out of resources to write the codes and test them...
[doublepost=1489449161][/doublepost]
Mazda literally lost a car sale to me because of the lack of CarPlay support. We were on the fence between a Mazda and a Honda and Honda's CarPlay support was the clincher.
Honda pissed one of my family member off really bad when they had certain 2015 model with the CarPlay beta tester program, and did NOT actually launch the CarPlay support.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
That very well may be. I'm not speaking for all area's, more specifically the City/State I reside in. It was more of a generalized statement.
Yeah it's strange. Mazda is relatively popular around me. 1:4 cars is built by Toyota. And the VW Tiguan is everywhere, you'd think it was a runaway success. Not too many F150s or Silverados, but lots of Toyota pre-runners.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I'm torn on this one. I've grown very fond of Mazda's navigation system, but the interface for playing podcasts could definitely stand some improvement. I would love to be able to use CarPlay for audio, but Mazda for maps.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Off topic:Mazda surprises me they stay around. A recent report in my City (Fairly large) was stating how Mazda was falling behind in the automotive market where they dropped behind Kia recently. In the years past, Mazda was doing great with the Speed Series, but of course this is purely a one eyed observation, but I see less and less of Mazda's on the roadway. And I'm a huge car aficionado that follows the major players, and I don't see Mazda as one of them. Strictly my opinion, even though they make a reliable vehicle.

As someone that has owned 5 different Mazdas over the years, I have had several hundred miles worth of experience with them. I have owned a 91 323 Protege, 03 Protege5, 07 CX-7, 14 CX-5, and a 15 Mazda5(which currently has CarPlay installed). While Mazda has never been known for producing fast, high powered cars, they usually focus on handing, suspension, steering response and making a "fun" car to drive. Even the mini-minivan the Mazda5 slaloms like a sports car.

That said, the chances of me buying another one is very low. They seem to be more concerned with having the "most fuel efficient lineup" that they dropped all the Mazdaspeeds and leave a pretty boring line of cars except the MX-5 and CX-9. The infotainment experience of the 2014 CX-5 was one of the worse thing about it, maybe second to the extreme lack of power. I also think they are overpriced and underpowered when compared to the competition.

I will disagree with you about how well they are doing though, as I see them everywhere, especially the CX-5 and Mazda3.

Sad because they seem interested in The actual experience of driving and make some fun vehicles. The rest offer sporty looks with slush for suspension and anything else.
I will agree with this, except I wouldn't say that the Mazda don't look sporty. What are you comparing it to? JW

Not sure if this is specific to a certain market but in the U.S they've been getting plenty of reviews and usually in Top3 and Top5 on multiple car magazines...even the Top Gear guys rave about Mazda's cars all the time.
They seem to be alway winning something and always have great reviews, but I stopped listing to the experts such as Car and Driver and CR after I read a review on the CX-5 touting how powerful it was. I think these ppl are getting paid to say these things.

I live in Canada and I see quite the opposite, tons of Mazdas on the roads here
I have seen similar situation where I live in Maryland, USA.
The MX5 RF is awesome
Hell yeah it is, if I had space, I would get one.
I keep reading that CarPlay is a bit buggy
In my experience, it is very buggy.
so maybe it's good that it's not in there yet?
Apple has had a long time to work out the bugs, the same bugs I have seen since I started using CP in Nov 2015. If they are not fixed by now, I would not assume they will be fixed in the future.

I think wireless CP would be nice, but I worry about how to fix the bugs on CP with it connecting wirelessly. Right now, you simply unplug and re-plug in your phone to fix most of the bugs. How would you do this wirelessly?

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I have a 2014 Mazda3. I've waited so long for this announcement! I wonder what they will charge for this minimal hardware installation?

rhodesy22

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
Off topic:Mazda surprises me they stay around. A recent report in my City (Fairly large) was stating how Mazda was falling behind in the automotive market where they dropped behind Kia recently. In the years past, Mazda was doing great with the Speed Series, but of course this is purely a one eyed observation, but I see less and less of Mazda's on the roadway. And I'm a huge car aficionado that follows the major players, and I don't see Mazda as one of them. Strictly my opinion, even though they make a reliable vehicle.

I would imagine they're still around as they still sell a ton of cars and are highly profitable http://www.caradvice.com.au/515388/new-mazda-cx-5-expected-to-remain-top-seller/ ...but I guess if you don't see any around they must be doomed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would imagine they're still around as they still sell a ton of cars and are highly profitable http://www.caradvice.com.au/515388/new-mazda-cx-5-expected-to-remain-top-seller/ ...but I guess if you don't see any around they must be doomed.

First, the article you posted is referring to Mazda in Australia. I made a direct reference specifically to my area/city, which I indicated an article based on local studies with other auto manufacturers, including Kia, which I clearly posted.

Second, You're insinuating the word "Doomed", not me. And if you would have taken your time to read further back, I commended Mazda for The Speed Series and their reliability as a whole. Posting a knee jerk reaction and misinforming my previous posts distorts what I actually stated in the first place. Please Take your time to read all the posts, before you comment on one particular post that you misquoted me on.

Reactions: sinsin07

Keymaster

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
Anecdotal experience is useless when talking about a global automotive company, especially a small one like Mazda that doesn't have the global reach to sell everywhere. Mazda is doing reasonably well as far as how many cars they sell and their profitability, but their small size is a challenge. On the other hand, Mazda cars pretty much win comparisons in every category they sell in, which is pretty amazing for such a small car company. Winning in both SUVs and cars like that, and making what most magazines call the most fun to drive car out there (current MX-5) makes them a company to keep an eye on.

The question is how they break through the noise...making the best small and midsize cars for the past few years hasn't garnered them more sales of the 3/6 compared to the Toyota and Honda products that have been pretty lame. Their cars deserve more sales because of how good they are...it's a mix of smart design and fuel efficiency that other manufacturers have been trying to match. And none of them can seem to match the drivability of Mazda, in any comparison they come across as the best driver.

I own a Speed 6, and compared to the cars of its time it's pretty sweet in the way it handles and how it can go. Watch the Top Gear review, and understand how you're missing out. ;) Mazda probably needs to make another car like this, something that will wow people and attract them into the showrooms.

rhodesy22

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
First, the article you posted is referring to Mazda in Australia. I made a direct reference specifically to my area/city, which I indicated an article based on local studies with other auto manufacturers, including Kia, which I clearly posted.

Second, You're insinuating the word "Doomed", not me. And if you would have taken your time to read further back, I commended Mazda for The Speed Series and their reliability as a whole. Posting a knee jerk reaction and misinforming my previous posts distorts what I actually stated in the first place. Please Take your time to read all the posts, before you comment on one particular post that you misquoted me on.
You sure showed me. Perhaps you should be clearer in your initial comments or how about a link to stats so that they can be discussed properly.

I paraphrased rather than mis-quoted anything you said and I stand by it. I wasn't really intending on starting an argument so I'll leave you to continue being surprised by manufacturers that are still around simply because you feel that there's no longer as many of their products near you.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I have carplay on my car. It's alright. I wish they allowed full usage of third party apps...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You sure showed me. Perhaps you should be clearer in your initial comments or how about a link to stats so that they can be discussed properly.

I paraphrased rather than mis-quoted anything you said and I stand by it. I wasn't really intending on starting an argument so I'll leave you to continue being surprised by manufacturers that are still around simply because you feel that there's no longer as many of their products near you.

No. The problem is you were replied with Snark and You inadvertently intended on starting argument by fear mongering and pedaling the word "Doomed", which you stated and no one else in this thread did. Also, my posts were clear enough to have a discussion with the other forum members in here, except for you. Which, in fact you obviously never went back and read any of the previous posts, if you had, you wouldn't have resulted in providing a link to an Australian article, which has no correlation to the United States. Again, I specifically stated in an article based off the manufacture Kia passing Mazda in sales of my general state/city. Period.

I commended Mazda on how reliable their vehicles are, but being they have a small line up, doesn't equate to the larger manufactures like Toyota/Honda/Kia. That's a fact. The article I was referring to was stating how Kia surpassed Mazda in sales my general region. I never once stated claims for any other country, state or general area. You simply Spun your own sweeping assessment based off a link to Mazda in Australia.

For future reference, it's not necessary to input words that were never Stated to begin with, and it would really be beneficial to the discussion if you read all the posts in this thread versus replying to another discussion without understanding the context of what was actually stated the first time, which I'm repeating myself, when I should not have too.

Last edited:

BEC60

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
Auburn, WA
I've been a Mazda guy since I talked my dad into buying a 1973 Rx-3 station wagon while I was in high school (instead of a Pinto wagon!). I have owned an Rx-2 sedan, Rx-4 wagon as well as a bunch of conventional-engined ones (currently three). But I've been wondering about CarPlay for my next Mazda (no screen in my 2013 Mazda3). Last September I got my first non-Mazda in quite a long time - a Kia Soul EV. Shortly after we got it Kia dropped a software revision that added CarPlay to it....and by and large I really like having it (love the electric Soul, too).

Since our next Mazda will likely be a diesel CX-5, I'm glad to hear that they may finally suppport CarPlay.

BTW, lots and lots of them around here (Seattle area) but then, they first came into the US here and the oldest Mazda dealer in the country is here. Now that I also have a Kia I am more aware of how many of them there are around as well....

(Unrelated: trying to edit text in this post box is driving me crazy since every time I use the cursor keys - iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard - I wind up looking at the bottom of the web page.)

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I still don't understand how we let car manufactures get away with selling five figure devices that have no post sale updates. Imagine Apple telling you that the os on all computers and phones are sold as is. Sure, they might have an update that fixes an error, if you complained, but no new features. We should expect no less than five years of updates for our cars. /rant.

(Yes, I'm serious. No, I don't expect them all to survive. If they don't want to do it, then don't DRM the car. Doesn't matter if I lease or buy.)

rhodesy22

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
No. The problem is you were replied with Snark and You inadvertently intended on starting argument by fear mongering and pedaling the word "Doomed", which you stated and no one else in this thread did. Also, my posts were clear enough to have a discussion with the other forum members in here, except for you. Which, in fact you obviously never went back and read any of the previous posts, if you had, you wouldn't have resulted in providing a link to an Australian article, which has no correlation to the United States. Again, I specifically stated in an article based off the manufacture Kia passing Mazda in sales of my general state/city. Period.

I commended Mazda on how reliable their vehicles are, but being they have a small line up, doesn't equate to the larger manufactures like Toyota/Honda/Kia. That's a fact. The article I was referring to was stating how Kia surpassed Mazda in sales my general region. I never once stated claims for any other country, state or general area. You simply Spun your own sweeping assessment based off a link to Mazda in Australia.

For future reference, it's not necessary to input words that were never Stated to begin with, and it would really be beneficial to the discussion if you read all the posts in this thread versus replying to another discussion without understanding the context of what was actually stated the first time, which I'm repeating myself, when I should not have too.
Fear mongering? You hear yourself, right? You can guarantee I won't be using anything you've said here for future reference.

I must be missing the comment where you posted a link to the article you keep talking about.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Fear mongering? You hear yourself, right? You can guarantee I won't be using anything you've said here for future reference.

I must be missing the comment where you posted a link to the article you keep talking about.

Why is it that you seem so angry/defensive over a car thread? Wasn't it you stating that it wasn't your intentions to cause an argument? Nobody said anything negative about Mazda, except for the fact that the overall decline in Kia has accumulated in sales over Mazda. But that comes up is such a shocker to you or is unbelievable because you live in a completely different country where that must not be a factor. Read the other posts in this thread and see what other form members are stating.

Also, You ripped off an article from Google That has direct no correlation to the United States? Consequently, Australian car sales don't apply to U.S. In terms of the other discussion I was referring to, although, I'm sure you going to refute that and explain why it does.

And you put yourself in a corner when you use the word "Doomed" and you accrued the response that you did, because you indicated something that never happened In the first place and raised alarm. That's what fear mongering is.

Why would you be using anything I stated for reference in the future, according to your above post? This is a simple discussion that you fabricated words to begin with in the beginning of your first post, leading to this. There's no sense in arguing with you, because you have nothing pertinent to reply with other than snide remark's.

I think this discussion is plenty exhausted and you have nothing to offer in terms of anything meaningful, other exhibiting bitterness. Moving on.

Last edited:

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Just leased a new Volkswagen Jetta SE for my wife and didn't realize that it even had CarPlay as a feature until after the deal was finalized--lol. Needless to say, it's pretty awesome. Get your act together Mazda.

Last edited:

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
On Mazda's end it might be due to differing requirements. Mazda's current touchscreens disable when the car is underway, forcing you to use the knob/joystick thing in the center console to control the screen. CarPlay surely requires an always on touch screen, and Mazda probably doesn't want to enable what they see as a safety risk.
That's understandeable

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Just ordered my new Mazda 6 Tourer it'll replace my old Mazda 6 tourer I got three years ago, moving from the old infotainment NB1 system to the MZD Connect will be a boon for me, but if carplay comes to it i'll definitely love it more!

On the Lock of the touch screen I think this is only present on USA models - it was for the NB1 anyway.

Plus the scroll wheel wouldn't be too difficult, you just roll the highlighted icon to where you want it - would be easier on the fly.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I am planning to replace my current vehicle with a new one next Spring (2018). This adds another contender in the mix. Currently, my top choices are the Honda Civic Sport Touring hatch, the 2018 Crosstrek, and now a 2018 Mazda3 Grand Touring. Horsepower wise, the Mazda would win (especially if it uses regular fuel). For me, CarPlay is a must in any new vehicle.

mheaford

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
UK
On Mazda's end it might be due to differing requirements. Mazda's current touchscreens disable when the car is underway, forcing you to use the knob/joystick thing in the center console to control the screen. CarPlay surely requires an always on touch screen, and Mazda probably doesn't want to enable what they see as a safety risk.

Carplay doesn't need a touchscreen at all, my car doesn't have one and carplay works fine using the the centre console controller.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The 2018 Mazda SkyActiv should be really interesting if they get the economy up as high as they predict without loss of power. I love my 2017 6 GT. Couldn't ask for anything more although I have toyed around with the idea of adding a cold intake...

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I will agree with this, except I wouldn't say that the Mazda don't look sporty. What are you comparing it to? JW

Sorry, didn't mean that the Mazda's don't look sporty. It was meant as that's what the others offer, sporty looks but nothing else. I love the looks of Mazda's new lineup, fantastic design and fun to drive. I just have to resist buying a 2017 CX-5 now (have the '16).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.