MB 2.4 or MBP 2.4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by strikefreedom, Jan 5, 2009.

1. strikefreedom macrumors newbie

Hey all,

i was thinkin on deciding either buying one of the 2, but i was thinkin there isn't much difference except screen sizes and the MBP has extra graphics. So i was thinkin if i put 4gb ram into the MB than it's kinda on par wid the MBP. What do u guys think?

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Performance, they are equal to me.
    But the screen from what I hear on the MBP is far greater than the MB.

TONS of happy MB owners though. I personally went that route and am now awaiting for it to come in the mail. :D

3. Emerica macrumors member

Waiting is the worst! Good luck getting through it hahaha.

To the OP:
    I think for you it will come down to whether you are able to spend the extra money on the MBP and if you need the extra screen space the MBP provides. Go with the Aluminum MacBook if you don't need the extra screen space.

4. MacJenn macrumors regular

Where do people come up with this that they are only different by screen size and graphics. The parts they use in the Pro are superior to the ones they put in the consumer grade MacBook. You get a lot more ports, a much much much better screen, 2 graphics cards one which is dedicated not the integrated crap they have in the reg alu MacBook, better speakers, etc..

Future proofing alone makes the Pro better. When Snow Leopard comes out it will be much better on the Pro with it's dedicated graphics card. The list goes on.

I laugh when reg MacBook owners think they are the same but smaller. It is much more than that.

5. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I KNOW!
    It's been stuck on this since Saturday and it's driving me nuts!
    I don't think I've ever pressed refresh on a website so many times in my life!

6. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

What other parts are you talking about other than screen, graphics, and speakers?

7. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

To the OP:
    In terms of performance, the MBP is superior only in graphics. When the MBP is running on the integrated 9400 (same as MB), the scores are equal (actually, the MBP scores lower). Here are the stats:
    http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/

So, I would recommend the MBP if you want/need the following:
    - nVidia 9600M video card
    - Better quality screen/bigger size
    - FW 800

I would recommend the MB if...
    - You don't need the 9600M video card
    - You don't need FW 800
    - You want a smaller footprint with longer battery life

Naturally, your answer will depend on what you use the computer for. Also, don't underestimate the importance of size, weight, and screen quality. These are things that you cannot upgrade in the future.

More expensive does not necessarily mean better. If you're going grocery shopping, for instance, a Ford Focus is much better than a Ferrari.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

basically if you want to play any remotely good game like COD4 / COD5, if you want it to last 3 years or more, if you want to do any kind of photo/video/sound editing you need the pro.

If you want to have a long battery life, portability, and a bit of dibble dablle around on the web and looking at your family holiday snaps, just get the normal macbook

http://guides.macrumors.com/Which_Apple_notebook_should_I_buy?

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I actually get just as good battery life as my friends unibody Macbook on my unibody Pro when using the 9400 graphic card.

Good post other than that small difference.

I bought the Pro and it is worth the additional money IMO. The other poster who said Snow Leopard will make the Pro even better because of the gpu is right. The gpu is much better in the Pro.

I got the dev. discount so I got an excellent deal and if you can afford the Pro, it is a better investment (if you can call a laptop an investment) for resale value and future proofing.

That said both are nice. Good luck OP.

10. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I bought the Pro because of the dedicated graphics, Firewire, and the much better screen. If it weren't for those, I would've gone for the MacBook. It is the absolute perfect size, in my opinion. I love the look of it. But the screen alone on the Pro is almost worth the upgrade. If you can afford the Pro, I would get it. I doubt you would ever regret it.

11. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Any thing specific? Are you trying to say apple uses higher quality products (not better specs) in the pro compared to the macbook?

The high and macbook IS very similar to the pro. Sure it is not the same, but it is as close as you are going to get but staying with 13".

OBVIOUSLY apple is going to add "extra" features to their top line. No one denies that. Bigger (better) screen, dedicated graphics, fire wire and express slot. But for some one who wants the power of the pro, but does not require the extra features included, the 2.4 macbook is the next best thing.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

No, the actually parts are higher quality in the pro, even if theyre the same, i.e. higher quality control, all you have to do is look at the light bleeding you get from a 13" Macbook compared to a 15" pro screen to see that.

13. akindy macrumors member

akindy

He's right, though I wouldn't totally agree with the generality of "The parts they use... are superior." The integrated graphics can't hold a candle to the dedicated card. Of course this only matters if you're using graphically intensive apps. The firewire port is EXTREMELY handy for Pro level peripherals (imagine that! though the omission of a 400 port is shocking) and the screen is much much better. And an express card slot.

They did blur the lines a little with the most recent update but it's still a pretty clear distinction, you either need the Pro or you don't, then it's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.

14. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

No such thing as a 15" macbook. However people have said they like the MBP screen better than the MB.

What is the OP going to use this for and when? That should be the answered first.

15. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I really don't know where people are coming from with this talk of 'higher quality parts' in the MBP. Last time I checked, the MB and MBP are made with the same kind of aluminum... :confused:

The only difference in terms of quality are the specs of the parts. Of course the screen is going to be better with less light leakage - it's a completely different panel! Everything else though - the trackpad, keyboard, glass, aluminum, HD, RAM, CPU, logic board, etc. - are all the same in quality. And there is no such thing as better quality control with the MBP as opposed to the MB... both follow the same strict QA standards.

If you think the MB has more reported issues, that's only because more people buy them. I guarantee you that the percentage of defective machines is probably the same for both. And in my experience, I've already seen three defective MBPs and no defective MBs (not that it's a reliable indicator or anything).

And I also think that 'future-proofing' your machine is nonsense. It's no reason to buy a MBP over a MB, anyway. Unless you're a gamer, both are going to be obsolete within 6 months of each other.

16. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You are pretty emotional if anyone is critical of the unibody Macbook. You got a pretty good laptop so don't get upset with others opinions. That is what a message board is for.

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think some posts were deleted and I see where he is coming from. There is a person on here that no matter what you say she is better because she owns a MBP and she thinks anyone who owns a MB is lower and isn't as good as her. All she does is put people down for owning a new Macbook and it's not right.
    I agree that he has a great computer, and I have the same. It does what I need it to do and it fits my needs without going overkill. One day I may need a MBP, but for now I don't. I don't need a MBP for internet surfing, Emailing, Itunes, and very little photo stuff.
    My wife is thinking about getting into photography again someday and if she does, then she might need a MBP.

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The only reason to buy the Pro is if you need the better GPU. Everything else about it is insignificant.

Get the 2.0GHz MacBook. It's very, very slightly slower than the 2.4GHz model, but it's also significantly cheaper.

Also, you don't need 4GB RAM. If you need 4GB RAM, you'd know about it, and since you're saying you only want it to put it on a "par" with the MacBook Pro, then you clearly don't understand and don't need it. 2GB will be just fine for you.

19. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Actually the big reasons I bought the Pro had nothing to do with the gpu (even though it is really nice and will help when Snow Leopard comes out). I got it because I couldn't deal with having another Macbook with an average screen (I watch movies on it and do a lot of photography work--amateur). Plus I need the extra ports the Pro comes with and I like the better speakers. There are several differences between the models if you look past the designs which do look similar.

Like I told another member here and some of you might not know (most do who frequent this forum). If you are a college student, join the dev. program offered by Apple for $99. You get 20% off a computer (can only use this one time) plus additional discounts on hardware and software. I also heard you get Snow Leopard free when it comes out (I also got a free t-shirt, newsletters, programs, etc.). I got the 2.53 unibody Macbook Pro with 4GB's, 320 GB 7200 rpm for $1999 after the discount. You can get the 2.4 Pro for only $100 more than the Macbook 2.4 when using the discount. This is much better than the standard student discount they offer.

Bottom line is everyone has to make a decision based on need and how much they can spend. At the end of the day, we all have a better computer than those horrible PC's. :)

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

None of these things alone is worth $300. The better speakers must have a value of a couple of dollars at most and the screen isn't going to be that much more expensive. Only the GPU gives a significant performance boost which the MacBook cannot.

The core of the computer is the same. The 2.4GHz MacBook uses the same processor, the same 9400m chipset, the same RAM and the same aluminium and plastic as the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro.

21. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The 2.53 was well, well worth the additional $400 to me (4GB's, 320 GB 7200 rpm, better graphics, better screen, better speakers, more ports, faster processor).

I was also wrong above. The 2.4 Macbook Pro (which has the 9600 dedicated graphic card the reg Macbook doesn't) with that discount will cost you the same as the 2.4 Macbook ($1599). Yes you can get the discount on the reg Macbook which will make it lower.

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

We're not discussing discounts though. The OP probably isn't eligible for one because they don't mention it.

23. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

True (well he might be though), but I wanted to let others know who read this thread about that program so they could look into it (a lot of people don't know about it). If you are in college in any program of study you are eligible. I found out about it on this site so I feel compelled to let others know about it. You can get a lot more computer for the money using this program for a nice discount.

24. aced411 macrumors 6502

Absolutely

You're absolutely right. Some of these guys are arrogant snobs and just want to justify their purchase by "laughing" at the supposedly pathetic fools who dare compare their ordinary MacBook to a pro. Truth is that is a rediculous misconception based on outdated models (ibook vs PowerBook). I've owned both the MacBook and the pro. The pro has better grahics, better sound, keyboard, ports and overall better capabilities but to think for one second that Apple uses special parts with extra quality control is retarded.

25. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Well.... first Apple itself advertises the MacBooks in the unibody videos.. not the MBPs!
    Second.. Apple cuts itself a very very low margin in the MB as compared to the MBP since the MB sells way more than the MBPs
    Third.. for something that has helped Mac sales bounce exponentially.. anyone would expect them to be more critical of the MB as compared to any other Mac!
    Fourth.. I only ever heard of Aluminum as Al, dunno if they are using isotopes! As far as innards both use same chipsets manufactured by same companies!