MB or MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kntgsp, Oct 20, 2008.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

So my local store was lucky enough to get the MBA 2.0's in already and I was fiddling around with the MB and MBA trying to make a decision.

Ignoring the pricing difference, which would you choose?

The high end MB or the high end MBA? Again, ignore price or resell-ability and what not.

The MB has the faster proc, backlit keyboard, better trackpad, larger HD.

The MBA has half the weight, an SSD, slimmer form.

All I do now, thanks to grad school, is web, email, movies, music.

So which would you guys take if the pricing was irrelevant?

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

My vote is for the MacBook because it would be your main computer and not a secondary/work computer.

3. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I noticed they have the option for the SSD in the MB as well. I'll probably go with that one then.

Only real difference is the weight.

Think I'll probably go with that then.

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

+1, also: MBA costs more $ and has much worse specs for a main computer.

5. erikislame macrumors newbie

MacBook. Definitely. The MBA is for girls.

Really--the optical drive is not dead--and in every way it's gonna be nice to have that along with the nicer hw for snappy web browsing.

edit: also the new trackpad on the MacBook is just badass. It's really nice to be able to right-click by clicking the bottom right corner of the pad. Also the additional multi-touch gestures are pretty great.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

What do you actually want SSD for?

You get marginally better performance but much, much less space and it is insanely overpriced from Apple.

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

8. juro macrumors member

If, like you say, pricing and resale value are not a consideration... and for the things you listed that you do — the Air definitely.

9. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

High end mac air the look alone sells it for me. Besides do you realy need all that power a 2 years ago the mac air would have been a powerhouse except in games.:apple: Besides the air still competes with tons of mid level laptops!

10. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I would go for the MacBook. Why? The performance is a lot better than the MBA and the MBA isn't that special except for the super slim body. Apple should of thought twice about the Air. They should add some of the essential hardware and then make it as thin as possible. If you aren't in need of too much power, USB ports and the other stuff... and you really love the slim body. Go for the Air. The MacBook would be a better choice though, it also saves you some money. Other than that, the MacBook will serve you well.

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

If it will be your primary computer, I think the macbook would be a smart option. It'll probably be more future proof as well.

12. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

You only need the MBA if portability is a major factor. I'm not saying the MB isn't portable, but it's not as portable as the MBA.

My 1.8/SSD Air is a dream. It's just a perfect product. Don't look at the price when buying and it's all good :)

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It really depends how portable you need it to be. The MacBook is certainly portable, but if you are on the road with it all the time, the MBA is really great. I take mine to school and it really is light and sturdy. I agree that the MBA SSD is the perfect laptop for somebody on the go, at least where things like editing video are not a concern.

14. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

It sounds like the MB is a better option, plus I wouldn't bother with the SSD. A 7200rpm hdd is plenty speedy for a laptop.
    The only advantage the MBA has over the MB is the weight but if you put it in your backpack in a neoprene sleeve you won't notice the difference.
    Another thing is the lack of optical drive. I don't use them that often but I currently own a thinkpad x31 without an optical drive and some times I just wish I could wack dvd in to watch in the car or something instead of needing to plug in a usb drive.....

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd get the MacBook. It has better specs than the MBA and is fairly portable.

16. KamiNoYadoru macrumors member

Better screen is what's KEEPING me from getting a new MB. I'm sticking with the air. I want the new trackpad and massive storage as well as improved heat mgmt, but Apple skimped on the screen so no sale. :) The air really is the best FEELING laptop I've ever used. If the 9400M can improve performance and they can get rid of the core shutdowns it will be the best laptop on the market. Even with the drawbacks of the 1st gen it's the best computer I've ever owned.

17. Moks macrumors member

Macbook every time. MBA is all about style rather than function.

18. Kendall015 macrumors regular

MacBook. I sold my Air to get a MacBook actually. The Air may be lighter and smaller, but the MacBook is much more powerful, actually had a decent hard drive, can have more than 2GB of ram (rumor has it the max is actually 6gb), produces much less heat, and is cheaper. The only downsides are that it is a little heavier and thicker...no big deal, though.

19. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I'm not sure I believe that you actually saw a MBA 2.0 in the wild.

Stores I've checked are saying mid Nov.

[How about a digital pix of the detailed about Mac pages?]

20. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Macbook!

I think the specs on the MB are better. I like the larger hard drive... 120 or even 128 is not enough. I've got a huge iTunes library as well as photos. The new MBs are portable enough. The extra 1/2 pound they lost makes a big difference. Now if you have to carry 2 laptops... like a work pc and then your own, (my husband has to carry 2 sometimes) then the Air may make sense. But otherwise, I'd get the MB and spend the extra money on Time Capsule or other fun stuff.

21. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think if I was buying right now I'd still get an MBA over a MacBook. But I'm in a different situation from you -- my laptop isn't my primary computer. I love the portability and I don't need the optical drive. Of course, you could get the external drive for the MBA and with the 120 GB HD it's probably big enough to be a primary computer for now. New GPU means it should be better for video than the first generation MBA.

22. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I would go with the MB for the extra memory alone. Right now, it can max out at 4gb, possibly 8gb when it's more affordable, as opposed to 2gb in the MBA. Let's take into consideration that the NVIDIA 9400M shares 256mb of memory with the main memory. That would mean that you have a total of roughly 3.7gb of usable RAM on the MB while only having about 1.7gb usable memory on the MBA. I would go with the MB for this reason alone, not to mention the backlit keyboard, faster processor, superdrive, new design, larger HDD, more ports, and the flippin' sweet trackpad. Cheaper is also another incentive, although you said price means nothing, so it's not a big deal. Let's see, can I think of anything else...

23. robe macrumors newbie

Interesting thread as I'm in a similar situation - the price for a MBA refurb (1.8 / SSD) is about the same as for a mid-tier new MB.

As I would only be using it for internet / music / movies I'm tempted to go for the MBA, due to the better screen and general sexyness :) However, posts about issues with overheating / core shutdowns with video mean that I'm questioning whether to go for the MB - thoughts?