MB Pro 2.4Ghz vs 2.53Ghz vs 2.8Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milenkod, Jan 23, 2009.

1. milenkod macrumors member

I'll be buying a mew MB Pro, replacing my 2-1/2 year old Macbook 2.0Ghz this weekend.

I can't decide which of the three to buy. I usually keep my laptops for about 2-1/2 to 3 years so I want something somewhat 'futureproof' (I know, it's kind of oxymoronic). Also, I tend to keep the laptop in desktop mode majority of the time (lid closed, external monitor). I need to be able to take it with me if/when needed.

I feel that there won't be a significant performance upgrade over my 2.0 MB if I go with the 2.4Ghz. Is the 2.53 any different other than a slight Ghz in speed?...is the 2.8 noticeble in speed over the other two?

Which ever I get I will be upgrading to 4GB of RAM and a 320 GB drive or better over the first year.

Comments and suggestion welcome.
    Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're more likely to notice a difference with 4GB of RAM than you would notice from the difference in processors, unless you routinely run CPU-intensive apps. For the average user, RAM makes much more of a difference than a faster processor.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

From 2.4 GHz to either 2.53 or 2.8 GHz, there will be a slight speed increase due to the latter to CPU's higher L2 cache (6 MB vs 3 MB).

However, since you keep your computer for 2-3 years, I'd say the 2.53 GHz should be enough and future-proof enough. 2.8 GHz would be road kill, unless you plan to game alot in it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure you meant "overkill". :)

5. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

You can buy the 2.53ghz model anywhere such as BestBuy, Costco, FutureShop...ect You don't have to wait for Apple to ship your new notebook just because you want 270MHz more.

6. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I went for the 2.8 because i game a lot. and also because i could! If you want it get it :)

7. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

yeah haha.

8. titaniummd macrumors member

I chose 2.53 Ghz, also.

I couldn't justify the extra money for 270 megahertz.

9. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

After reading some comparison reviews I think the 2.53 g probably the sweet spot.
    In one comparo the 2.4ghz was anywhere from 30% to 50% faster
    on some many popular applications over the older 2.0 ghz MB Pro.
    Being that my old Mac isn't even a Pro (just Macbook) I think that a 2.53ghz would make a substantial difference.
    And it suns that the majority consensus here is the 2.53ghz is the one to go with.
    Thanks for all you responses.

10. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I got the 2.8 cause I know in 6 months they will update MBP and I will know that my latest MBP is not too far behind in the latest technology. I also do a lot of graphic, programming and video editing. It will be my desktop/laptop.

11. lyl macrumors member

12. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Kind of expensive to keep the status eh?

13. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Wasn't for the status. More of a need.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Went for the 2.53 since it only model I could get immediately; if the 2.8 was available at the Apple, I would have that no-doubt.

However from an upgrade perspective and I use 2 computers, I can't spend everything on one computer.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The rule is to always buy as much computer as you can afford. Even more so if you don't plan to buy a while. So if i was buying for future proof i'd a get maxed out mbp i.e. 2.8/4GB/320GB 7.2KRPM etc. But you could get away with the 2.53

16. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

Traditionally I've followed that with Windws machines....however now that I'm paying the Apple-tax, $2800 is a tough one to swallow....

17. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

you get what you pay for...

for Apple products, you pay little extra on top. :):apple:

18. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

exactly, I have no problem paying an extra $300 for the same Mac machine than windows machine just because of the OS and the word program, iWork vs MS Word is much cheaper.

A little off topic question for FarSeide, does the extra GHz bump to 2.8 or 2.93 on the 17" side help with video editing? I've read it would help with the rendering time but how much help will there be? will it be noticeable

/done hijacking :D

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

go to barefeats.com and read the speed comparisons. i would have gone for the middle myself if I didn't land such a smoking deal on a used 2.4.

20. ZAK248313 macrumors member

If you can afford it, 2.8! I guess you'll keep it 2-3 years. That's not much extra per year for the performance boost.

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You might also want to check out the refurb store. I got my fully maxed out MBP Classic Early 08 from there with a 42% discount

You could also try getting a friend who is in education to help you with an education discount. or become an ADC/Student ADC member

22. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

refurb store?

23. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I got the 2.53, but got the faster hard drive (7200 rpm).
    To me that's important.

More ram.
    Faster HDD.
    Double Video memory.
    I can't justify $300 more for that slight performance jump in processor speed. (as Daneoni said, I bought as much computer as I could afford).

I still have to buy an external HDD and hope to get a 24 inch monitor (not apple) at some point.... saving the pennies.

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

refurb section in the Apple online store