MB unibody bottom case

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dukebound85, Jul 10, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is your bottom case "flush" with the plastic? Mine is not everywhere. Some points it is a slight overhang and other points it is a slight underhang in regards to meeting the plastic

What about you all?

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't have one, but that seems strange. How do you like it otherwise? Just asking because I'm about to get one at work.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

From what I'm hearing about these unibody Macbooks, I think I'll just save my change and go for a Macbook Pro.

I think you should take it to the Genius bar and see what they say.

5. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Don't have one but it sounds like a manufacturing defect. You should take it in to be inspected if you have the opportunity. Though I can see the MB's are more easy to have this kind of problem with, I don't think a block of plastic is as efficient as a block of aluminum to make the unibody enclosure...

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I like it alot actually. Granted, this issue is one I have noticed after removing the case to swap hdd's and is not that big of an issue but it still bugs me as I took good caution when doing so

7. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Nice. Not a big deal and works fine jut didn't know if it was common place and didnt want to appear foolish explianing it's not flush but doesn't affect the computer at all lol

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

It meets edge to edge from the rubber bottom to plastic edge. The rubber bottom has thickness to it, but should sit flat with respect to the rest of the laptop.

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is anyone elses macbook slightly warped in the sense that you can press a corner down and see it move just ever so slightly?

I may schedule an appointment but in the mean time I have used tape on the bottom to level it out so this does not occur

Would this be something worth scheduling a genius appt for? How would they fix it if I did in fact bring it in? It is still under applecare and this should be covered correct?

Thanks

11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It may bee worth it, but it is not a big deal. They would fix it by replacing the bottom panel with the rubber on it.

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am thinking about getting rubber feet. Does anyone have any recommendations for this in terms of brand or design?

Or is this unacceptable and I should have Apple look at it?

13. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

in the manual it says that the screws in the bottom case are of different lengths, I've heard that if they go back in wrong it'll cause the bottom case to do that. I just read up on it the other day, since I'm buying more RAM later this week.

14. circularforward macrumors 6502

On mine, it's never quite been the same after I opened it twice to upgrade the ram and hdd. Not necessarily that it's warped, but it's just not as tightly screwed and solid with the base. Depending on where I push down on it, very small gaps (and I mean very small) can be seen between the bottom and the rest of the case. I think I can get rid of them if I were to tighten the screws more, but I'm afraid of stripping them as I almost did in getting a couple of them off in the first place.

15. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I had read that too but when I lined them all up, they look all the same to me in terms of length

Hmm, that may very well be what is going on with mine