MBA 13 case/sleeve

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dentifrice, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just ordered a MBA 13'' and was wondering what is the best case/sleeve for this beauty ?

I was looking for something with place for the power supply and some small devices (ethernet usb adapter, vga adapter, some usb flash drives...)

I'm not really interested in backpacks because I already have one and want to put this baby in it.

I'm looking for something light when I'm going into meetings at my job and don't want to carry the laptop in one hand and all cables and usb stuff in another (or carrying my backpack everywhere in the building...)

thanks !

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no place for accessories in most sleeves, since sleeves are usually designed to fit inside a larger case with the pockets you describe. The booq Vyper is the best protection I've ever seen in a notebook sleeve. In my opinion, it offers far better protection than any neoprene case, the zippers never come into contact with your MBP, and it looks great!
    [​IMG]

3. namtaB macrumors regular

I use the Tucano 13" neoprene second skins sleeve. Its got an antislip "bra" on the inside which secures the MBA in place and prevents the zippers from contacting it. I've been pleased with it so far.

4. rkheyfets macrumors regular

its a nice case here is the link to the one for the air
    but its somewhat bulky but nonetheless very nice
    http://www.booqbags.com/All-Products/Vyper-hard-laptop-cases/Viper-hardcase-13-black-red

5. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

6. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. Looks like a pretty nice case, now the question is do I really need it!

7. uwetodd, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

uwetodd macrumors member

I just canceled my order for the same case on Monday (after having it back ordered since December). Sucks to be me, sorta. My friend just received his and after seeing it I must admit that it's on the bulky side. I didn't like the fact that the laptop slides in from the right, forcing it to be upside down (and possibly slide down) once it's zipped. Perhaps this is a good thing considering the zipper? When it comes to the bottom line, it's not worth the price tag. Just my opinion though.

EDIT: I ended up buying/using the Built NY Cargo Sleeve and love it. It's a nice snug fit that doesn't suffocate the MBA. What won me over was the fact that the zipper is shielded, which prevents scratching. I was a little thrown off with the pockets being on the outside, but quickly appreciated the fact that the sleeve reshapes itself and keeps items like my mouse and power source secure.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hence, the protection.
    What are you talking about? You can put the notebook in any way you choose. It doesn't have to be upside down, and mine never is.
    What do you mean? The zipper isn't an issue, and never contacts the MBP.
    While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, it sounds like a rather uninformed opinion, almost as if you didn't really examine and check this sleeve out carefully.

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

10. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I got that Incase sleeve and quickly returned it. I just didn't like it but it was a nice sleeve. My biggest complaint was that slit that's 1/3 of the way down. Maybe I just wasn't doing it right but I felt like I had to bend my MBA to get that part to go over.

Ordered a Radtech sleeve from Amazon and it's nice but very minimal and a very snug fit.

Also got a Tom Bihn Ristretto bag which is quite nice! If you're looking for a bag, I recommend it!

There's also the Pack & Smooch sleeve that's been talked about here. I really like this one but haven't convinced myself to spend $80 bucks on a sleeve just yet.

11. uwetodd macrumors member

GG, take a deep breath. Exhale. Repeat.

FYI, your "quotes" aren't matching my actual comments which is likely causing you much confusion. (See #2)

1: I'm not saying that bulky is bad. Some people want it and some ppl don't. Pictures don't always give an item justice. I'm reporting what I saw and echoing what another already mentioned.

2: Look at image 3. Notice what I mean when I say it slides in from the right? Even the owner of the case thought it was weird that when folding the case shut, the laptop (exposed end) tends to slide down toward the crease.

3: I'm not knocking the zipper. I was simply saying the exposed portion of the laptop wasn't near the zipper.

4: You're right, I am entitled to an opinion. Ironically, your critique sounds "as if you didn't really examine and check" the facts carefully.

12. GGJstudios, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here is the source of the problem. You're talking about a completely different sleeve than the one I posted a picture to.
    It wasn't the same case.
    You didn't examine the pictures and link that I posted, and that others who quoted me were discussing. The one I posted is for the MBP case, which doesn't have the issues you mentioned. Knowing that this thread is about MBAs, I posted it as an example of the quality and durability of booq sleeves and my own experience with them. I also posted a link to the booq site where you can see sleeves for the MBA. Your comments fit the MBA sleeve, not the one that I posted.

13. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

14. uwetodd, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

uwetodd macrumors member

GG

Here's the kicker and perhaps an unintentional ego hit. I wasn't even commenting on your post/picture/sleeve. Look again and you'll find it was directed to The Catalyst, rkheyfets and anyone else who seemed interested in the MBA version based on their posts. I don't see anyone talking about the MBP version except yourself. If anything, you jumped the gun. Read, think, post.

Remember: Deep breath and don't forget to exhale.

EDIT:

Nice bag. My brother loves his.

15. JayDH macrumors 6502

I had the Pack & Smooch for my 11" Air, and have one on order for my 13" Air. Great design and quality. They are a little pricey and the guy is backed up for a couple weeks. It takes about 3-4 weeks to get your sleeve to the U.S. from Germany where the guy lives. I think it's worth it.

16. namtaB macrumors regular

Just got the Waterfield Design sleevecase for MBA 13. Its perfect, great build quality, and lives up to the hype.

17. ZipZap macrumors 603

Just got the Marware Sportfolio Deluxe. Space for everything, and a cheap price at amazon. Dont let the pictures fool you it a lot nicer in person.

18. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

They are very tempting. I'll probably end up getting one. I'm letting the fact that he's backlogged be my excuse for not pulling the trigger yet...haha

19. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I just picked up the Civilian black manila Macbook Air sleeve. Pretty stoked!!

[​IMG]

Its got great reviews on Amazon. Anybody have any experience with this?

20. SR71 macrumors 68000

I was also debating getting the Booq Vyper instead of a sleeve, but once I started thinking of it, there are a few cons with the Booq Vyper as opposed to my other choice, a WaterField SleeveCase by SFBags.

Booq Vyper

PRO'S

• Has many compartments to hold MBA and other accessories.
    • Hard outer-shell with a soft neoprene inside.
    • Probably more durable than a sleeve.

CON'S

• Accessories inside the pockets of the Booq Vyper may come in contact with the MBA which poses a risk of denting.
    • Not TSA Friendly .
    • Heavier.

WaterField SleeveCase by SFBags

PRO'S

• Light.
    • Will protect the MBA from short drops
    • Includes a back pocket that can house small accessories.

CON'S

• Will not protect the MBA from high drops.
    • Back pocket does not close, leaving any accessories that are in the pocket open to the elements.

This is just a short list of some pro's and con's for the Booq Vyper and the WaterField SleeveCase by SFBags

For me, the WaterField SleeveCase by SFBags is best, but for others, the Booq Vyper may be more suited to their needs.

21. major7 macrumors member

Hi! I just got the Booq viper 13.

1. The materials seem great....at touch and quality.

2. The charger fits but it makes the bag a little fat.

3. The MBA compartment keeps it safe altought its a little hard to get it out...i guess i need some practice.

It's not the ideal to carry alot of stuff....with this one you have to stick with the basics....but i'm a simple guy :D

I would describe it as very good sleeve with pockets inside!

22. hsl macrumors regular

23. HawkBYU macrumors member

HawkBYU

I have one of these sleeves and I really like it. It's pretty thick leather so it is really durable and it fits the MBA perfectly.

[​IMG]

24. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I really like that.

I just returned the Civilian black leather envelope case I posted above. It was a little too large for my 13" air.